• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bale wagon.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

3words

Reaction score
I have been doing the wagon and loading frontendloader way for hauling bales up until now.I keep renting more and more hayland,because a lot of people have gone out of cattle in this area.Anyways,it is time for me to buy a self loading and unloading wagon.I found one for sale on the computer and it is 41' deck single row kingsman for $6500,is that a fair price?I have never heard of such a unit,anyone have any experience with them?That unit is 10 hours away,and with everything being so late this year,i don't really want to waste time going and getting a wagon.Then in the paper a morris 881 8 bale,same money but 2 hours away.Or should i just keep watching the paper and computer and just buy a 14 bale wagon right away?

trades my NH super 1049 for a NH 650 round baler, saved over a 1000 gal in fuel the fist summer, also sold to 1283 self propelled baler. my back and knees feel much better, but my tummy has gotten alot bigger.

Rent a Haukess from Flaman's.......if you like it you can always buy your own. No loading arms or chains to bust. Many older pickers are a nightmare to keep running.....heavy bales & rough ground take their toll on iron!

Want to buy our truck with bale deck?
A tractor and wagon has to be the most painful way to move bales in all the world. We hire ours done now with a self picking truck. We have found it is way faster and cheaper than we can do it for. This year he pulled over 700 bales and had them stacked in under 10 hours with the longest haul nearly 6 miles. This was without the extra trailer so he was only hauling 20 or so per trip.
And no busted bales.

There's two guys run off their feet with picker trucks in our country-they work great that is for sure. We had a bad bale wagon accident up here a few years back made alot of guys rethink their bale hauling strategy. Alot are hauled with semis and flatdecks too.

cowsense said:
Rent a Haukess from Flaman's.......if you like it you can always buy your own. No loading arms or chains to bust. Many older pickers are a nightmare to keep running.....heavy bales & rough ground take their toll on iron!
Have you ever used that wagon from Flaman's?Did you like it?I was going to try it,but the neighbour said they didn't work that good,but he could have been full of sh!t.

Big Muddy rancher said:
How far is your main haul?
Farthest haul right now is 14 miles one way,but giving up that quarter and picked up more land closer to home.Farthest haul should be roughly 6 miles one way next year.

RSL said:
A tractor and wagon has to be the most painful way to move bales in all the world. We hire ours done now with a self picking truck. We have found it is way faster and cheaper than we can do it for. This year he pulled over 700 bales and had them stacked in under 10 hours with the longest haul nearly 6 miles. This was without the extra trailer so he was only hauling 20 or so per trip.
And no busted bales.[/quote\

So what do they charge a bale then?

3words said:
cowsense said:
Have you ever used that wagon from Flaman's?Did you like it?I was going to try it,but the neighbour said they didn't work that good,but he could have been full of sh!t.

Sorry 3 words; Never had the chance to use one but they look like a good outfit...was kinda waiting to hear reports on them. Most of our hay fields are just too far to use a tractor drawn outfit anyways.

3words said:
RSL said:

Usually figure at right around $4. Can be less with volume and more with distance. We had 50 short hauls (1 mile) that wound up costing $3.90. The others were longer (4 to 6 miles).

RSL said:
3words said:
RSL said:

Usually figure at right around $4. Can be less with volume and more with distance. We had 50 short hauls (1 mile) that wound up costing $3.90. The others were longer (4 to 6 miles).

I usually make around 2500 bales a year,that would work out to be a $10,000 bill.I couldn't justify that every year.For that much money spent every year,there better be some kind of piece of equipment sitting in my yard.

Try kijiji.ca. look for bale handler or something like it. There are quite a few good units for sale in SK ranging from self picker trucks to wagons. I can't even begin to imagine trying to move 2500 bales with a wagon.

RSL said:
Try kijiji.ca. look for bale handler or something like it. There are quite a few good units for sale in SK ranging from self picker trucks to wagons. I can't even begin to imagine trying to move 2500 bales with a wagon.

Let me tell you it gets very old,any time you have a free moment,don't think your going fishing because you may as well go haul some bales.I have been looking on kijiji but not finding a whole lot there,unless i'm just not searching in the right area.Thanks RSL.

We stack our hay in piles of 38 and hire it hauled home. The last bill was $2068 for 35 stacks (1482 bales), 142 loaded miles. Two trucks did it in one day. No way can we afford to haul it ourselves.

One of those lift off self unloading deals for 12 bales is $7750 plus you need a flat deck. A local guy up here has a ten bale self unloading unit for $2500 but you need a 24 foot flat deck to put it on.

LCP said:
We stack our hay in piles of 38 and hire it hauled home. The last bill was $2068 for 35 stacks (1482 bales), 142 loaded miles. Two trucks did it in one day. No way can we afford to haul it ourselves.[/quote/

No you can't,and neither can he.I wish i could find someone up here that wants to loose money as bad as your guy does.

Latest posts