• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Baler fire

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
I was finishing up baling this morning and I had just dropped a bale and stopped to get a drink of water when i saw flames coming from the front corner of the baler. Fortunately my daughter had reminded me the other day that I hadn't put the extinguisher on the baler so I just put it on the other day.

I got the fire out before any damage but I do need to pull the roller just above the dimple rollers. It is the one that moves in and out as the bale fills.
On the NH 664 do I just undo the chain tether on that set of roller and pull it into the chamber to get at the bolts to pull that roller out?

Just go buy another. :lol: :lol: :lol: I took the bearings out on my main drive roller on a 530 JD. Have changed just about every other bearing ,some were tough. I came home sulked for a half hour then dreaded going out to change it. Turns out It is the easiest bearing to change, with all the chain oil on it nothing was rusted or seized. Took me about an hour and I was back in the field. I hope yours is the same.

I have set 2 balers on fire. The first, I didn't have a fire extinguisher, and set the whole field on fire. Dumped the bale, , but the baler was pretty much toast. The second, we caught, before things got real hot, and I had a big extinguisher, plus the guy raking for me had a big one too. Didn't loose anything on that one. A person can never be to cautious.

Mr. FH had a baler on fire when he was young. He didn't have a fire
extinguisher and he was fairly close to town, so
to get it put out quickly, he drove it into the
first filling station he came to............................................... :shock:

Faster horses said:
Mr. FH had a baler on fire when he was young. He didn't have a fire
extinguisher and he was fairly close to town, so
to get it put out quickly, he drove it into the
first filling station he came to............................................... :shock:

You are just lucky you got to meet Mr. FH. The cards were somewhat stacked against you. :wink:

One time I had a bunch of clear plastic from protein blocks to dispose of. These were put into the garbage barrel, but I couldn't get them to catch fire. I put "just a smidgeon" of gasoline on top of the plastic, then stood back and tossed in a burning match. WHOOSH!!! That pile of plastic shot fifty feet in the air. Fortunately it was not terribly dry, no grass fires were started, and there were no eyebrows that came up missing. I am much more careful now. :roll:

Last summer the neighbor had a baler fire . He dumped out the bale ,but the belts were burning . the fire was 2 hot to unhook the tractor . So he drove a mile & half down the tar road to a stock pond & backed the baler in . He saved the tractor but the baler was toast .As he drove down the road the belts were dripping apart & falling on the road , This caught the tar road on fire in spots for a mile if the wind had been high that day it would have burned alot of country .

It has been a while but if you can put your end gate up and find the lever that puts pressure on the belts and lower your tail gate that roller should line up with the holes on the side. I just can't remember where that lever is to take tension off of the belts.

have a good one

lazy ace

Latest posts