• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

baler problems

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Manitoba_Rancher

Reaction score
We are having trouble baling straw, its rotary straw but not broke up too bad and all it wants to do is plug the damn pickup. Just seems as though it doesnt want to feed in. Never had this problem before this year. I ve tried it when its dry, some dew and wet still wont bale. Anyone have ideas I would appreciate any you may have...

is it raked or just dumped out the back of the combine?

once we could not bale it behind the combine, bumped it over with a rake and it went nice.
something to do with how it layed I guess....

Manitoba_Rancher said:
We are having trouble baling straw, its rotary straw but not broke up too bad and all it wants to do is plug the damn pickup. Just seems as though it doesnt want to feed in. Never had this problem before this year. I ve tried it when its dry, some dew and wet still wont bale. Anyone have ideas I would appreciate any you may have...

Have you tried adjusting the release on your pickup teeth? By that ,I mean the eccentric track that the cams run in.
I don't know what kind of baler you have, but on my Vermeer it is a simple adjustment. Just loosen a couple bolts and rotate the track on way or the other.
I've had to mess with it ,in order to bale rye for silage, a time or two.

Run the pickup higher off the ground and slow down the baler. I run anywhere between 1/2 and 3/4 throttle while baleing straw, but still keep ground speed up. This works well with a NH baler don't know about others.

I absolutely hate rotary straw. If it is fresh right behind the combine I can make a bale usually, but if it has sat for a week...forget it.

With JD baler lower the throtle; hammer the gear shift. If that's not your baler, try the same thing?
We baled a little rotary straw this summer, and faster was better. I don't know why.

Andy said:
Run the pickup higher off the ground and slow down the baler. I run anywhere between 1/2 and 3/4 throttle while baleing straw, but still keep ground speed up. This works well with a NH baler don't know about others.

We have a JD not that we did straw here but we did all kinds of crap this year with the shortage of hay and what was decided was if the teeth were picked up just a tad and it was baled slower it just seemed to go easier. I don't know if you rake straw but it was also decided if the raker went slower and turned it into a "neater" windrow that helped to with the more coarse stuff that was baled. Eating or laying in this kinda stuff is gonna be better this winter then snow was the theory here.

Andy said:

We have a JD not that we did straw here but we did all kinds of crap this year with the shortage of hay and what was decided was if the teeth were picked up just a tad and it was baled slower it just seemed to go easier. I don't know if you rake straw but it was also decided if the raker went slower and turned it into a "neater" windrow that helped to with the more coarse stuff that was baled. Eating or laying in this kinda stuff is gonna be better this winter then snow was the theory here.

Dunno if youe Hesston is the same as my NH, but to start that kind of straw I drop the pressure back, 1/2 throttle and grab the next gear or two. Once it starts to bale, all is well.

Rod

Take every other wind guard off of your pickup and it should bale. I had the same problem this summer and this worked. I baled a week behind the combines, very short shattered straw. JD 567

Latest posts