• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Balers, Vermeer vs John Deere

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Nicky

Reaction score
We've been very happy with our Vermeer Super M baler...until last haying season. Had two of the non greaseable bearings go bad. It's had 9800 bales thru it, the repair guy said that at 9000 bales the bearings start to go. Talked to Ace this morning and he said his last JD had 33000 and he never replaced a bearing. Originally we planned to trade it in every so often but now there isn't a dealer here. What are your thoughts and experiences? Mike takes very good care of it and it is stored inside.

The original bearings and the replacement ones from Vermeer are all made in China.

We have a 535 Deere that has over 30,000 bales through it and still makes a nice bale. We have repaired a few things but our ground isn't the most desirable.
the 569 we bought new in 2015 has had 6000 bales through it. Many of them high moisture haylage weighing 2000 to 2200 lbs. Have replaced some pickup tines but that's it. Put the tractor in gear and don't look back!

I have to question someone's memory that hasn't replaced a bearing in 33,000 bales. John Deere's are good, especially the newer ones, but not that good.

We run an older 535 that is very good but if we had a local Vermeer dealer, we would be switched already. They are $12-14K cheaper than the JD, just as heavy built and anyone I talk to that has run both, loves the Vermeer over the JD. The JD balers are good and we have good local parts support, they are just darned expensive (although I saw a MF on sale last summer for $84K).

We wore out a 530 and a 566 JD, both good balers, but as they aged we needed to be sure to have both sizes of bearings on hand. Bearings go, they are never better than the first day and then it's a matter of time.
We have a 605N and there is no comparing the ruggedness of the two makes, everything is heavier on the Vermeer. Only about 6000 bales through it so far, but it is a treat to bale with for sure.
It used to be you could get the bearings for a Vermeer over the counter at any bearing shop, I don't know if that is still the case.
The monitor on the Vermeer is really nice, you can enter in your fields and have it keep track of bales by the field, including moisture and weight (if you have the on board scale option) and even download the information onto a usb stick.
We haven't even had to replace a pickup tooth yet.

Had 535 that was about to replace second set of belts, chains, and sprockets and decided to trade up to 567 10 yrs after I bought 535. 30 some K bales thru it not 1 bearing out. Paid 18K for 535 in 94. Made trade in 2004 for 11K difference on new 567. Insurance bought burnt up 567 with 33K and change still no bearings out. We blow out baler Every time they are parked and not sure what started fire but suspect over tightened chain and the stars all lined up. Have 569 since fall of 2014 no bearing issues yet.

I've baled along side most every make. I still think new holland makes the prettiest bale. Anyhow - never fails when baling beside someone else no matter the make at some point we both tell each other we wish we had the other's baler and then we take turns telling each other why not to.

If JD has done one thing right with me it has been making the trade in deal just good enough it don't make sense not to. It's been coincidence baler has been replaced every 10 yrs... but interesting the price on new one doubled every of those 10 yrs.

Latest posts