• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

balers????

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
Since I got the discussion started on rakes how about balers. :D

I know they will all bale those picture perfect windows in the machine company ads but which ones handle the rough and rocky stuff?
Which ones can you stuff full then go a half a mile dribbling in a bit of hay and not flip belts?

Which ones can you cross a wash out and the pick up won't stay behind?

Which one bales the dry and dusty? Rotary combine straw?

The best baler for what you are describing is and old NH bar and chain baler, they would bale anything including fence posts.

I find that on my NH 648 the net wrap tends to shake back out of the duck bill on rough ground and a light crop. Then I have to get off and re-feed it back into the duck bill (that's what I call the two plates that feed the net onto the bale when it actuates.)

And I also find this baler doesn't like to wrap a soft, grassy bale properly, tending to put most of the net wrap onto the middle 2'-3' of the bale.

But the newer balers likely have all these issues resolved, I'm sure, giving you a perfect bale every time, all day... :wink:

I have a JD 535 that has been here since 1996 and still makes a nice bale. Bought a second 535 2 years ago. This baler had been used by the previous owner for 3 years until JD made the net wrap feature. He had stored my "new" baler in the shed for 15 years. The paint was still on most ot the pickup guards.

I bought it for $8000 and had to put new tires on it before I towed it home.

I have a JD 530 that is ancient. In fact it was parked out back and retired a few years ago until I got an idea. Neighbours burnt down their 567 and wrote it off. I dug the pickup out from under it (it was relatively unhurt) and stuffed it under the 530. The belts on the 530 were actually quite new when it was parked. We use the baler as the second baler, and the old girl just bales anything and makes them look nice. Yearlings ate the wiring harness off of it years ago but the monitor is not necessary with those balers, you just need to pay attention because when they are full they just go ahead and tie. :D

Richardd said:
The best baler for what you are describing is and old NH bar and chain baler, they would bale anything including fence posts.

So where could i get a new one of them? :D :D

I kind of need one built this century or I'm going backwards. :lol: :lol:

I don't know if the others have it but Vermeer has a built in scale so you know how much your bales weigh and keep a running total. Would be handy when I buy standing hay.

If I ever bought another round baler, I would make sure that it had greaseable external bearing's on all the roller's

Big Muddy rancher said:
Since I got the discussion started on rakes how about balers. :D

I know they will all bale those picture perfect windows in the machine company ads but which ones handle the rough and rocky stuff?
Which ones can you stuff full then go a half a mile dribbling in a bit of hay and not flip belts?

Which ones can you cross a wash out and the pick up won't stay behind?

Which one bales the dry and dusty? Rotary combine straw?

New Hollands

JD makes a high capacity baler and will do some of the things you ask.
The don't do the dribble it in well. If someone knows how to make them pick a light windrow I'd be interested to hear how?
I'm not to partial to any brand but I haven't found anything that likes washouts or rocks.
I always tell the hired help If you don't know whats in there, don't go there!
Takes a lot of bales to pay for repairs.
Like Denny says, let the cows harvest it.

Every JD baler I have bought has solved some of the problems the previous one had.

Partial to Hesston's. JD would have to run second.

I know JD paid royalties to Hesston for years for using their pickup design. 530 & 535 models, I think.

Hayguy,

f you find a baler with greaseable roller bearings be sure to post the brand and model.
Would be nice with a greasing pack on the side so you don't have to climb all over the baler.

Richardd said:
Hayguy,

f you find a baler with greaseable roller bearings be sure to post the brand and model.
Would be nice with a greasing pack on the side so you don't have to climb all over the baler.

New Holland br7090

Havn't got it out this year yet can't remember if every bearing has a hose to a bank but some do. This is it's second season so don't know if older ones had it or not.

I, too, would be very interested in finding who makes a baler with greaseable rollers. I think those sealed bearings that run out of grease are a major cause of baler fires. I know I have sure come close a time or two with super hot bearings. I'd think it would be a big selling point especially if they had the grease zerks all in one place.

A neighbour here bought a brand new Vermeer this spring. He's done some monster swaths on pivot fields of alfalfa with it and never slowed down. Also did some dryland fields that were hit and miss and said it took it all in stride. I think it has the scale as well Mike. I'm not sure if his has greasable rollers but I'll have to ask next time I see him.

We have a JD 458 with net wrap, came with the property when we bought it. It's a great little unit if you like 4' bales, which is an odd change for me to get used to coming from Alberta, but everyone here has little tractors so it's the norm in southern BC.

greybeard said:
JD makes a high capacity baler and will do some of the things you ask.
The don't do the dribble it in well. If someone knows how to make them pick a light windrow I'd be interested to hear how?
I'm not to partial to any brand but I haven't found anything that likes washouts or rocks.
I always tell the hired help If you don't know whats in there, don't go there!
Takes a lot of bales to pay for repairs.
Like Denny says, let the cows harvest it.

Every JD baler I have bought has solved some of the problems the previous one had.

I had a JD 530 for 25 years and moved up to a JD 568 last year. The 568 will handle way more hay than the 530. I haven't had any problems baling light hay, as little as half a bale an acre. I run throttled down a little most of the time.

Latest posts