• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ballistic Calculators

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
Best one I've found. For those who care:

http://www.jbmballistics.com/ballistics/calculators/calculators.shtml

I assume you are reloading most everything. I am seriously considering starting to reload. Mainly pistol loads. Probably have over 1000 rounds of empty 38s, and close to that in 40. What would anyone recommend to get started with? Eventually want to reload 7mm, 6mm, 30-30 and 223. Right now I have a friend that has been reloading all my 223, and I have been shooting it like a normal person would a 22. I use it on everything from squirrels to deer. Its just one of those guns you fall in love with.

LazyWP said:
I assume you are reloading most everything. I am seriously considering starting to reload. Mainly pistol loads. Probably have over 1000 rounds of empty 38s, and close to that in 40. What would anyone recommend to get started with? Eventually want to reload 7mm, 6mm, 30-30 and 223. Right now I have a friend that has been reloading all my 223, and I have been shooting it like a normal person would a 22. I use it on everything from squirrels to deer. Its just one of those guns you fall in love with.

Spend some serious time with your friend in the reloading room to get a handle on what works well and what does not.

Right now, reloading supplies are hard to get. Especially for the .223. There are no brass to be had at all. Anywhere. .223 cartridge manufacturers are two years behind in production due to demand.

In order of quality:

Dillon
Redding
Hornady
Lee
RCBS

In my opinion.

most of the manufacture's have starter kit's to get you going then as you progess you start adding to it. a great hobby/necessity if your going to shoot much. up here it's hardly worth while loading the .223 with factory loads being as cheap as or close to what it cost's to reload. but with your shortage down there i'm sure that will change :lol:

Mike said:
LazyWP said:

Spend some serious time with your friend in the reloading room to get a handle on what works well and what does not.

Right now, reloading supplies are hard to get. Especially for the .223. There are no brass to be had at all. Anywhere. .223 cartridge manufacturers are two years behind in production due to demand.

In order of quality:

Dillon
Redding
Hornady
Lee
RCBS

In my opinion.

interesting that you place rcbs at the bottom below lee

have used bit's and pieces of them all except dillon, where do you rate Lyman?

Up until a year ago, I was buying all my 223. When you could buy them 50 for $11.00 didn't make any sense to reload, but now I probably have 500 plus of empties laying around. I was never much of a hand gun shooter until a couple years ago. Now... well we went through 100 rounds of 38 yesterday, in less then an hour. We got a bunch of those "reactionary" self healing targets, that are an absolute HOOT to shoot.

The first thing to learn in reloading is to clean your cases well and lubricate sufficiently.

One "Stuck Case" will teach you that............ :lol: :lol:

LazyWP said:
Up until a year ago, I was buying all my 223. When you could buy them 50 for $11.00 didn't make any sense to reload, but now I probably have 500 plus of empties laying around. I was never much of a hand gun shooter until a couple years ago. Now... well we went through 100 rounds of 38 yesterday, in less then an hour. We got a bunch of those "reactionary" self healing targets, that are an absolute HOOT to shoot.

i'm sure you know this, but alot of the cheaper/milsurp .223 ammo have crimped in primer's. you have to get a primer pocket swaeger or a cutter to remove the crimp in order to reload. no big deal but one extra step in brass prep.

Nope didn't know that. That is why I am asking. There are quite a few different firearm pages on Facebook, that I have been following, and learning, lots of ideas, and thoughts.
I am pretty sure I will end up with a starter kit from the local gun shop. It will probably be a Hornady, cuz that is what he sells the most of.
My buddy that reloads for me, lives about 5 hours away, so watching him, and helping him, probably isn't gonna happen. There are a bunch of guys, locally, that have offered to let me spend time with them, and learn some of the tricks.
Thanks guys, and as RA says, keep it comin!

hayguy said:
LazyWP said:

i'm sure you know this, but alot of the cheaper/milsurp .223 ammo have crimped in primer's. you have to get a primer pocket swaeger or a cutter to remove the crimp in order to reload. no big deal but one extra step in brass prep.

The Dillon 600 Swager is the one to have for dealing with crimped primers.

I swaged about 500 the other night. It ain't fun tho'.

Tips I have learned the hard way:

1-"Anneal" your bottle-necked cases. Lapua brass come annealed from the factory. They are the absolute best.

2-"Neck Size" instead of "Full Length Size" when you can. Will make your brass last much longer. I have some 6MM PPC & 6MM BR cases that have been shot over 100 times and still good to go. ( This is especially true in those sloppy oversized "factory" chambered guns.)

katrina said:
Mike said:
The first thing to learn in reloading is to clean your cases well and lubricate sufficiently.

:shock:

Yes, it's true Katrina. You'll have to drill, thread, and "Tap" it out. :lol:

the very FIRST thing to do is get one of the reloading manual's and READ it :wink:

most of the starter kit's come with one,provides step by step instruction's

Is there any value in this calculator? I am not educated enough to enter all the required field's in the fancy one's. Kinda fun comparing calibre's, but wonder if it's dumbed down to the point of being useless??

http://ballisticscalculator.winchester.com/

Mike said:

I totally agree. However the second thing to learn is to recognize when your dies are so full of lube that they are starting to make dimples on the shoulders of your cases!

I use Imperial sizing wax and sparingly at that!

3waycross said:
Mike said:

I totally agree. However the second thing to learn is to recognize when your dies are so full of lube that they are starting to make dimples on the shoulders of your cases!

I use Imperial sizing wax and sparingly at that!

Funny you say that. I have had the same can of Imperial wax for about 8 years. Just got a new one last week. It had "Redding" written on the top. :wink:

Latest posts