• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

barley

Help Support Ranchers.net:

redrobin

Reaction score
I'm interested in barley. I grow a little wheat but would like to try barley. Are there any known varieties for hot humid climates? I would assume it'd have to be sprayed with fungicide to control disease. Any input?

It's being grown in Tennessee. I've wanted to try some but haven't gotten any seed.

Mike said:
Beagle 82

plant in the fall

do NOT plant in sandy or unusually wet soil

why not sandy soil, does it require a richer soil than wheat or triticale does or is it just more sensitive to dry, I plant a lot of wheat and triticale in sand and does fine, curious now on the barley

BlackCattleRancher said:
Mike said:
Beagle 82

plant in the fall

do NOT plant in sandy or unusually wet soil

why not sandy soil, does it require a richer soil than wheat or triticale does or is it just more sensitive to dry, I plant a lot of wheat and triticale in sand and does fine, curious now on the barley

I have no experience with it personally but a friend that is a brewmaster told me about planting some last year for making beer.

He said it did fine on the hillside but in the bottom where it was sandy & loose, the stand had completely thinned out by harvest time. This guy is really good grain farmer.

Barley is a cool season crop. It does not like heat. If it gets about 90-95 degrees, essentially kiss it goodbye unless there is lots of moisture. A company I worked for tried growing it in Minn for research, however when it got to 100 degrees outside, it turned white and set down very little seed

Latest posts