• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Barn building step one

Help Support Ranchers.net:

alabama

Reaction score
shedbuilding1.jpg

shedbuilding2.jpg

This is gonna be interesting Bama,keep posting your progress,what have you got on the loader to hold your beams steady?.........good luck

Well at least you have a helper,I usually do what you are doing by myself,what size are you building ,how tall are your walls & whats the pitch ?.................good luck & be careful.

It is a poll barn to be 40 X 60 and 12 feet tall. There won't be any walls for a while but I plan to add some later as I shed off.
The pitch is whatever those salvage chicken house trusses I scrounged up are.
I have been saving, scrounging and combining junk for two years to get up enough materials to get it started.

In other words, what he's sayin is.......at night he secretly takes chicken houses down without the owner knowin......What do you do with the squawkin chickens, Alabama? hehe

Reminds me of Johnny Cash's Cadillac.....One Piece at a Time

The poles were the easiest to get. Those things are all up and down the road. Just get a chain saw and a ladder, cut the top out, and leave the wires hanging and then cut the poll down. I don't recommend getting two in a row though.
The steel is made from discarded pits and pieces with LOTS of welding rods.
I had to break down and buy the 2x6 stringers. I am still looking for some steel roofing to fit that has been abandoned but I suspect I will have to order that and put it up quick before someone borrows it.
I almost have the prep work done. A local crew is to be in later in the week to set trusses and install stringers.

We had an old electric line running thru our place, that went to an abandoned pipeline. We've taken all but one or two of the poles down, and rolled up the copper cable that was on em, used it for Creek crossins to hang tin on. Works great. The poles, we're hopin to build a barn with. We got kinda lucky a few years back they put a new tin roof on the school gym, and we bought nearly all of what came off for 200 bucks. We probably won't use it for the roof, but will the sides.

HAY MAKER said:
Well at least you have a helper,I usually do what you are doing by myself,what size are you building ,how tall are your walls & whats the pitch ?.................good luck & be careful.

why won't anyone help you? you don't pay worth a crap?
or you just work em too hard?

I'll come help you anytime you want. I demand $100.00 per day and I will work from 11:30 am to 12:30 pm and I want an hour off for lunch!

I love building pole barns- - - not on a regular basis - - - The work shop I have at the gravel pit I built when a train jumped the track several years ago and I was able to buy a considerable amount of materials for $1,500.00

I was able to buy the poles from REMC for $10.00 @ if I picked them up where they were being replaced.

I wish you were closer as I would come and help for a day ( all it should take)

If you need any questions answered this is a great forum as you can pick up on how things are done in different parts of the country.

Alabama said:
The poles were the easiest to get. Those things are all up and down the road. Just get a chain saw and a ladder, cut the top out, and leave the wires hanging and then cut the poll down. I don't recommend getting two in a row though.
The steel is made from discarded pits and pieces with LOTS of welding rods.
I had to break down and buy the 2x6 stringers. I am still looking for some steel roofing to fit that has been abandoned but I suspect I will have to order that and put it up quick before someone borrows it.
I almost have the prep work done. A local crew is to be in later in the w eek to set trusses and install stringers.
So thats what happend to my pile of posts. :wink: They tore out a power line that went across me and a few weeks later someone helped themselves to just the size they needed with a chain saw. :mad:

Latest posts