• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Barn topics

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Ohwhatatangledwebweweave.jpg

Oh, what a tangled web we weave
Howfastwasthatcalfgoingwhenithit.jpg

How fast was that calf going when it hit that cow? :wink:
Slippingandslidingtoarriveontime.jpg

Slipping and sliding to arrive on time
Welcometotheworld.jpg

Welcome to the world
Busyplace.jpg

The maternity ward is filling up

Nice setup, Soapweed. Looks like you are getting some sunshine in the Sandhills. It seems that one nice sunny day in winter makes up for about 3 cloudy, stormy ones. The sun is kind of a rare commodity around these parts lately.

Oh well, February is winding down. Can spring be far behind? :)

PORKER said:
Gosh, Soap has Blue gates and Tags and hot brands Too! Good looking Mama's there Soap.

Thanks, PORKER.

Our cows have the Spearhead brand on their left hips, which is the ownership stamp. The four on her shoulder is the "year brand" which means she was born in 2004. In-herd identification is designated by ear tags.

Aw jeez Soap. You done went and showed that you bought painted corral panels instead of the cheaper unpainted ones. Now us producers will be accused of not maximizing our input costs and thats why our profit margins are on a steady decline :(

Nice maternity ward BTW. :) You ever have any trouble with the 10x10 pens? I had to open mine up a bit to 12x12 as every now and again a momma would get stupid and flatten her calf.

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo said:
Nice maternity ward BTW. :) You ever have any trouble with the 10x10 pens? I had to open mine up a bit to 12x12 as every now and again a momma would get stupid and flatten her calf.

Rod

Actually, our pens are only 8' x 10'. They are about as small as they could be, but we can get more in the barns by doing it this way. :wink: This size pen seems to work for us, but our cows aren't extremely big.

Soapweed said:
Actually, our pens are only 8' x 10'. They are about as small as they could be, but we can get more in the barns by doing it this way. :wink: This size pen seems to work for us, but our cows aren't extremely big.

lol Maybe I'll bring some of my cows down your way and have your mommas teach them some manners. My critters are about 1200 pound avg, but I was averaging one stepped on calf every year, with one death every 4 years, so I popped them open a bit. We'll see if it works, or if its just a waste of space lol

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo said:
Soapweed said:

lol Maybe I'll bring some of my cows down your way and have your mommas teach them some manners. My critters are about 1200 pound avg, but I was averaging one stepped on calf every year, with one death every 4 years, so I popped them open a bit. We'll see if it works, or if its just a waste of space lol

Rod

If my cows were in a 12' x 12' pen, they could just get a big run at it and clear the top of the panel, thus escaping their cage. :wink:

lol that'd be nice to open a barn door up to. 20 escapees just waitin for a chance to leave

I love those panels, but every now and again a calf will slip through to another pen. Then theres usually a rodeo. I've been meaning to close in the bottom 2 feet, but just never seem to have the time. Perhaps maybe if I didn't spend so much time here.

Rod

Soapweed, "If my cows were in a 12' x 12' pen, they could just get a big run at it and clear the top of the panel, thus escaping their cage."

You didn't, by chance, pick up a smaller all black cow with a quarter-circle "x" on the right hip a couple of years ago did you? I unloaded one that could of been named Spud Webb on somebody. I don't think she went 1000 lbs, but I know she could go over a 4 ft. fence from a standing position!

Sandhusker said:
Soapweed, "If my cows were in a 12' x 12' pen, they could just get a big run at it and clear the top of the panel, thus escaping their cage."

You didn't, by chance, pick up a smaller all black cow with a quarter-circle "x" on the right hip a couple of years ago did you? I unloaded one that could of been named Spud Webb on somebody. I don't think she went 1000 lbs, but I know she could go over a 4 ft. fence from a standing position!

Now you tell me :x :wink: :) No, fortunately she's playing in someone else's pen.

Kinda reminds me of an aquaintance who wasn't getting along with his girlfriend. She said, "If you're not nice to me, I'll let someone else play in my playpen." :wink: :)

Soapweed said:
Sandhusker said:

Now you tell me :x :wink: :) No, fortunately she's playing in someone else's pen.

Kinda reminds me of an aquaintance who wasn't getting along with his girlfriend. She said, "If you're not nice to me, I'll let someone else play in my playpen." :wink: :)

Right before I shipped off to college, good 'ol Grandpa Hank told me that every girl had a "playpen", and just because they let me play in it didn't mean they were necessarily special. We digress... :lol:

Sandhusker said:

I had a couple of Angus/Brangus commerical steers that did just that. 4 ft. was nothing to them from a standing position. I generally had to work them through their head instead of force. They fed out quite nice.

Latest posts