• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Basin Angus

Help Support Ranchers.net:

sic 'em reds said:
I heard that the bank finally wants it money on the Basin ranch and that the Stevenson ranch sold the cattle to Russia.

I have to wonder if they didn't take a big hit with the genetic defect fiasco- since they had put a lot of genetic input into their herd over the years from carrier bulls like Future Direction and Boyd on Target...

It wouldn't surprise me if the cattle sold elsewhere- even if the deal with Sinclair goes thru... I can't see Sinclair wanting the cattle as their breeding/genetics program is no where similar to Basins--but I could see them wanting the ranch- bull lot- and sale barn-- and with a little embyo transplanting they could have it well stocked with their genetics...

sic 'em reds said:
I heard that the bank finally wants it money on the Basin ranch and that the Stevenson ranch sold the cattle to Russia.

If this is so, and it certainly may be factual information, when do we receive notification of the Sale cancellation - inasmuch as there are no catalogs in evidence, or suggestions of housing, ciite directions, and other standard sale particulars? . . . and there are only 15 days until the "sale"!

Can you say "Smoke and Mirrors?"

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS said:
sic 'em reds said:

If this is so, and it certainly may be factual information, when do we receive notification of the Sale cancellation - inasmuch as there are no catalogs in evidence, or suggestions of housing, ciite directions, and other standard sale particulars? . . . and there are only 15 days until the "sale"!

Can you say "Smoke and Mirrors?"

DOC HARRIS

This is the way I hear it, Doug is having the dispersal auction and Daryl sold the cattle to Russia - 2 different outfits - Daryl didn't sell all of their cattle.

Faster horses said:
I heard today, from a person I feel is reliable--but he says he heard it and you know how that can be :? , that Pat Goggins bought the ranch...

I'm not sure if they could- or if it would be a conflict of interest since they are the Real Estate Brokers doing the selling :???: ... Premier Intermountain Properties is another of Pat's and the boys enterprises...

They inherited the land.....in herited the cattle....in herited the equip and still went broke.....

More than the economy in play here is my guess..............

jingo2 said:
They inherited the land.....in herited the cattle....in herited the equip and still went broke.....

hey dipshit...how do you know they went broke or how much was inherited?

It is doubtful anyone ranching on any but a scale less than adequate to operate a viable business AND make a reasonable living will "inherit" land, cattle, and equipment and not have confiscatory estate taxes to pay! And it matters little how good the estate planning may have been, unless one is on the scale of the Kennedy or Heinz dynasties or other 'old' money families with staffs of top tax attorneys, IMO.

Been there. Done that......three times. Still here. It certainly has not been easy. Hopefully, you future generations will have it a bit easier, but they will have to continue working as hard as they have worked over the past 30 years and, like us, continue working into their 70's and beyond if health permits. Ranching isn't something people do because it is an easy life!!!! People who stick with it have to truly love what they do. That is worth more than ease or money.

mrj

Justin said:
jingo2 said:

Hey Dipshit.....cause I'm smarter than you............grew up in Hobson and know ALL about'em.

Good people ......lousy managers.

EXAMPLE.....that new sale ring...cost $5MILLION to build...for ONE SALE A YEAR!!!!

Now how economically viable was that????

jingo2 said:
Justin said:
jingo2 said:

Hey Dipshit.....cause I'm smarter than you............grew up in Hobson and know ALL about'em.

EXAMPLE.....that new sale ring...cost $5MILLION to build...for ONE SALE A YEAR!!!!

:lol2: i didn't call you a dipshit because of your post, it is just a better fit than jingo2.

i was just curious how you knew. i'm gonna guess you don't know all the facts tho...just a guess. or are you called in when Basin Angus has thier meetings and/or discussions?

jingo2 said:
Justin said:
jingo2 said:

I don't know all the issues- but as I have been told- you can't have a "family" operation that has had to be split at multimillions $ (that new sale ring--cost $5MILLION to build...for ONE SALE A YEAR!!!)- with multimillions $ invested in purchases of hundreds of thousand $ herdsires and supposedly fantastic donor cows over several years- that because of the bigger numbers race of the cattle industry-sadly deviated from their old breeding direction- and over the years ended up with huge investments in cattle that were genetic defective/carriers- and still survive....

Just like Leachmans-- pretty soon someone calls in the notes...

Little harsh, we have used some of their genetics. Wouldn't call them defective. Fortune was an awesome bull. Was there though when all open cows were being filled with embryos. Silly people felt they were getting a bargain. Had the chance to lease Yellowstone because length of spine made his EPD's to high for most.

Too many people are quick to put down people or operations in a bad time. Look for the good in people!

CA

Maybe he's just tired. I would bet the work load of just manageing people is a full time job.An operation of that size would most likely keep your family life at a minimum. Last I knew he did'nt inherit as his mother was still an owner.Anyone who thinks selling bulls is pure profit should have a sale or two and find out how the bills add up for each one.

Latest posts