• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Be careful out there!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

seth

Reaction score
A neighbour lady of ours was killed a couple of nights ago when she went out to check cows. Her husband was a little behind her and he heard a commotion as he arrived. A cow which had apparently just calved, had attacked her. He had to use a tractor and front end loader to get her out. She was 75. They had worked together their whole married life. How tragic! You can't be too careful around calving cows.

I always start talking to my cows WAY before I get to them , esp when it's dark! Let's them know it's me and which direction I'm coming from.

That's soooo sad and just goes to prove that what we do for a living IS one of the most dangerous jobs out there!!

Thats sad :( I loved checking cattle at night,the peace was awesome. We trained our cows to calve mostly during the day on thier own now. I got chased over the fence one night by a new mama that didn't like my flashlight.

Mrs.Greg said:
Thats sad :( I loved checking cattle at night,the peace was awesome. We trained our cows to calve mostly during the day on thier own now. I got chased over the fence one night by a new mama that didn't like my flashlight.

Clue me in. How do I train my cows to ensure they can calve unassisted in the daylight hours??

That is terribly sad news about the accident. I'm always a little nervous when it's pitch dark, even with a flash light.

Richard Doolittle said:
Mrs.Greg said:

Clue me in. How do I train my cows to ensure they can calve unassisted in the daylight hours??
Its got to do with feeding time and picking the right cattle,its kind of a socialitic way of raising cattle :wink:

Mrs.Greg said:
Richard Doolittle said:
Mrs.Greg said:

Its got to do with feeding time and picking the right cattle,its kind od a socialitic way of raising cattle :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Do you have a law that requires it?

Richard Doolittle said:
Mrs.Greg said:
Richard Doolittle said:
Its got to do with feeding time and picking the right cattle,its kind od a socialitic way of raising cattle :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Do you have a law that requires it?

Don't laff...it works.

I've been doing for years and you might one or two that will calve in the nite...but if you adjust your feeding times...you'll get just about everyone calved out and get a full nites sleep every nite!!

kolanuraven said:
I always start talking to my cows WAY before I get to them , esp when it's dark! Let's them know it's me and which direction I'm coming from.

That's soooo sad and just goes to prove that what we do for a living IS one of the most dangerous jobs out there!!
I talk just for the black and white smelly kitty cats looking for afterbirth. Some get to know me well enought to let me pass with in a few feet . Never see them in the day and with a gun.

Actually cows calving on grass calve pretty much in the daylight-all 20 hrs a day we have of it up here during calving. You find alot of pretty fresh calves when you check first thing. I wnder if a can of bear spray might save the odd night calver-it sure sets a bear back when you blast them.

Last may my sister's yearling longhorn heifer knocked down my 81 year old mother. She was on the warfarin drug (rat poison). She had a bleed in the brain and had brain surgery. Six weeks in the hospital. She isn't back to normal yet. It seems like ranch people just don't know when to retire. ( My sister still has that heifer)

seth said:
A neighbour lady of ours was killed a couple of nights ago when she went out to check cows. Her husband was a little behind her and he heard a commotion as he arrived. A cow which had apparently just calved, had attacked her. He had to use a tractor and front end loader to get her out. She was 75. They had worked together their whole married life. How tragic! You can't be too careful around calving cows.

Heard about that. We aren't too far away, and one of the coop employees was talking about it. I think he knew her too. Terrible thing.... :cry:

Latest posts