• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Beached whale! Err... dorper

Help Support Ranchers.net:

judc

Reaction score
Howdy everyone,

Got a question about one of my dorper ewes. We've had many successful lambings in the past from our other ewes that didn't require too much fuss. We have one dorper this year that has not moved at all in almost a full week. We're giving her hay, water, and electrolytes where she sits, but we're starting to worry about her. I've had to shift her around to rake up her droppings so that she's not sitting in her own.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this and if so, is there anything I can do to help her? She's got no sign of worms, eyelids look good - no bottle jaw. She's actually acting fairly sociable and like she's not in pain - she just will not get up and move around. Granted, she is _huge_. She's got twins for sure if not triplets.

Should I just let her lay and keep monitoring her, or does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to help her get through labor easier?

Thanks
- jaken

Have you talked to your vet?
I have not.. we don't have any good local vets nearby. I don't want to name names, but there's really only one vet in our area and we've had poor experiences with him. Had a dog go in for a checkup and shots as healthy as could be and she came back dead. Another dog we brought in to be spayed and he somehow caught her on fire and she ended up having all sorts of urinary issues. The one time we were having a difficult lambing, we called and he refused to come out to the ranch.

We're having to be our own vet at this point because we're tired of fooling with him, frankly.

I have not.. we don't have any good local vets nearby. I don't want to name names, but there's really only one vet in our area and we've had poor experiences with him. Had a dog go in for a checkup and shots as healthy as could be and she came back dead. Another dog we brought in to be spayed and he somehow caught her on fire and she ended up having all sorts of urinary issues. The one time we were having a difficult lambing, we called and he refused to come out to the ranch.

We're having to be our own vet at this point because we're tired of fooling with him, frankly.
Yikes!!! Where are you? That is not good. Sorry don't know about the ewe, with down cows we use a hip lift and pick them up at least twice a day, keeps the blood flowing.

Yikes!!! Where are you? That is not good. Sorry don't know about the ewe, with down cows we use a hip lift and pick them up at least twice a day, keeps the blood flowing.
That's a good idea, we probably should get her lifted somehow so we can keep the blood flowing..

Good luck!!
Thanks, I gave her some Nutri Drench last night as well as some grain to make sure she had some calories. She was looking happy again this morning, shifted maybe a little bit but still in the same general area. I can feel her lambs moving in her belly, so I hope we're close. I'll keep the thread posted on her progress.

Latest posts