• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bear tree

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
Me and my son went on a fast trip to help my brother in law set up his bear bait. And we also chased a few turkeys around. Fun little trip. Pretty country. Saw this old tree with claw marks from a bear using it for a jungle gym
17F4BC42-A7B6-46D1-AD38-3CD549EB5019.jpeg

SE Utah is sure God's country. I love the place
4EA12E35-492C-4AE9-A882-C5AB021F83A1.jpeg

D8D095A1-65B5-4314-8AAA-8DC16E4FF01C.jpeg

Yesterday was a nice sunny afternoon here. We were out in the front yard. A wild tom turkey came from between the shop and the barn. Walked across the driveway and flew over the fence. The dogs spotted him when he went over the fence. They were off like a shot. They had to go past where the turkey was to go through the gate. Then double back toward the turkey. When they got close the turkey flew. It went half way up the hill east of the house. Patty saw where it went and left Rufus in the dust. Up the hill she went at 100 mph. The turkey flew again. This time toward the river. Neither dog saw him go this time. Chase was over. But nothing like a good turkey chase on a sunny Sunday afternoon. Is this anything like your chasing turkeys around H?

I've been known to growl a little. Haven't barked for years. Usually a look is enough to discourage interlopers or varmints. But I sincerely appreciate the humor you two idiots insert into my otherwise dull life 😂😂😂

Our bear bait from start to finish. Took almost 7 hours to carry it all across a meadow and up into the draw where we placed it. Wanted to be away from four wheeler trails. Packed in a little over 750 lbs.
Built a crib so the Ol bear has to come on the side we want him too. Likely he'll tear it up some.
0AEF6BEF-4A08-467F-9D27-9EC7A5C64DA4.jpeg

Three of us did the job. Good thing one is a 16 year old wrestler and tougher than wood pecker lips.
89391036-B948-4404-98BE-FAE7B0A546DD.jpeg

Recipe was donuts, dogfood and some grain with molasses. Topped with a variety of potions and attractant smelled like a candy store.
1C3E988B-5FFD-4729-88F1-50778D55AB63.jpeg

View from where my brother in law will sit for hopefully a shot.
3F9DFF77-638A-4FEC-BB28-E392BBBF1D13.jpeg

I have a friend who baited lots of bears. For both himself and other people. He would bait where he could drive to. And he had a tree stand there. Once the bear was working the bait he would add more bait at the same time every day. A week or ten days later he would take the hunter or he would have someone drive for him. Put out fresh bait and back up to the stand ladder. The shooter would climb directly up the ladder. He would drive away. At least half a mile away. 15 minutes later he would hear the shot. Mr Bear was use to getting fed at 5:00 (or what ever time) he would be waiting nearby for the dinner bell to ring.

I have a friend who baited lots of bears. For both himself and other people. He would bait where he could drive to. And he had a tree stand there. Once the bear was working the bait he would add more bait at the same time every day. A week or ten days later he would take the hunter or he would have someone drive for him. Put out fresh bait and back up to the stand ladder. The shooter would climb directly up the ladder. He would drive away. At least half a mile away. 15 minutes later he would hear the shot. Mr Bear was use to getting fed at 5:00 (or what ever time) he would be waiting nearby for the dinner bell to ring.
Our problem is the bait site is 266 miles from our house. And so we have to stock a large quantity to last til we return. I'd love to do it like your friend does. But that is impossible for us.

Our problem is the bait site is 266 miles from our house. And so we have to stock a large quantity to last til we return. I'd love to do it like your friend does. But that is impossible for us.
I hear you there. And from the pictures you post I didn't figure you had too many bears in your neighborhood. I do have a few bears here. My problem using my buddy's method is vehicle access to the areas the bears live in.

Latest posts