• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bears

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Cowpuncher

Reaction score
Today, they had a school lockdown because there was a large black bear on the school grounds.
This was in a city.

I have noticed that there were no chokecherries, wild plums or currants on the bushes. I also have noticed
there are no acorns on our gambel/jackknife oaks this year. Bears gorge on these before hibernating, though it is rare to see them doing this.

I am a little concerned about this and I think that is why the bears are moving into developed area to find something
to eat.

I wonder if this is a local thing or if it is widespread. We had lots of rain late last summer and this May. Did this cause the oaks to take a year off?

CP

Yeah, I saw that on the news. Colorado did away with the spring bear hunting, and baiting of bears in amendment 10, and now we are over run with the varmits.

Same here in south central mt. No chokecherrys, few to no apples, bears getting into things and places they usually never did before. not usually too concerned with the blacks, have to be cautious though. one that worries me is a big old boar griz that recently showed up, ran the neighbors dog off his own front porch last week. Cant say I am very damn happy about having him in the area.

We had some close to where my son has his sheep grazeing now one got hit by a car another got hit by 150 grains of lead. In this world you just need to take care of the problems as they arise know one else will do it for you and most people think your in the wrong so I say choot'em.

Acorns fell here now so you couldn't bait one in if you wanted to. Well you could but it would be tough.I see they are raiseing hell in a couple of our corn fields. I'll pack a gun while chopping.

Latest posts