• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Beautiful night for calving

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
It's eight o'clock p.m. Mountain Standard Time on this 9th day of March, 2012, and the temperature outside is a balmy 49 degrees. The moon is nearly full and just making its appearance above the eastern horizon. We corralled our heavies at sundown, and have had six calves since then. More cows are switching their tails and showing signs that they, too, will give birth before dawn. Calving is in full swing, and we should hit the one third done mark before morning. The weather has been known to not be this nice in March, so we are thoroughly appreciating the mild temperatures of this week. Our barns with box stalls have seen very little use so far this season. There is plenty of time for cold calving yet ahead, but we are feeling blessed at the moment. :)

49 degrees at the moment here too. we had a high of 65 today and suppose to be even warmer tomorrow. when we think back at this time last year, it almost doesn't seem possible.

i kinda, sorta wish i was calving. :wink:

My "official" start date is tomorrow. Got 20 or so on the ground already. Hope this weather can stay with us. Not much fun to go out in the morning and meet yourself coming in from the night before.

We are at 25 degrees right now and it is very calm and pretty with the moon out and reflecting off the snow I reallly don't need a flash light tonight but it does make feel alittle more secure if I have to turn it into a club :? We are half way done with our heifers as of this after noon I would agree with you Soap we couldn't ask for any better calving weather around here either.

Justin said:
Big Swede said:
Careful there Justin, you know better than that. :wink: :lol:

i know, i know.. :wink: :D

32 days to due date, should at least be late winter by then. :lol:

We didn't think there would be enough to do this spring so we bought another 52 heifers.

Last night, it was 35 degrees, we had northern lights dancing the north of us and an almost full moon to the east. Sure has been one hell of a great calving season so far

Clear cold night , Hereford hiefer calf had the tips of it ears froze this morning and that was inside the old barn, but it was -10 this morning, ewe had twins from the Oct Ram escape, they were warm and dry in back of the old milk barn , plus thier bellies full. I Know that bugs don't live on dry snow pack, but thinking of putting the bull out late July< I don't have to be on the forest the 6th of June any more ....

jodywy said:
Clear cold night , Hereford hiefer calf had the tips of it ears froze this morning and that was inside the old barn, but it was -10 this morning, ewe had twins from the Oct Ram escape, they were warm and dry in back of the old milk barn , plus thier bellies full. I Know that bugs don't live on dry snow pack, but thinking of putting the bull out late July< I don't have to be on the forest the 6th of June any more ....

Yep, a forest permit dictates a lot of your management. It was a gorgeous night last night, I tagged 11 this morning, with more in labor now. I'm a little over the 75% done mark, and this surge is near the end of first cycle/go to the forest spurt... it's going to get really boring soon. I might have to book my flight to Disney World :D. The forecast is for 50's the next 10 days, that is going to be fantastic, these cattle and I deserve a break :wink: :D .

Temps are in the 70's today and I wish calves were dropping everywhere in this weather.....If a guy had known he could have taken bulls out a month early and been OK...

Oldtimer said:
Temps are in the 70's today and I wish calves were dropping everywhere in this weather.....If a guy had known he could have taken bulls out a month early and been OK...

If a guy would have known we would have calved in january when the ground was dry and bear :D

Latest posts