• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Became a horse whisperer today

Help Support Ranchers.net:

cowboyup

Reaction score
I just traded a three year old black filly for a 7 year old palomino gelding. sight unseen. what I didn't know at the time was that his mind had been fried, all I knew was that he was supposed to be proud cut and they had supposedly been team roping off of him. The first time I stepped on him he jumped sideways about fifteen feet and the whenever he broke into a trot he would automatically spin left whoever had him in the past must have been scared to death of him. Anyway I went out to pair out with him and thought I had him pretty relaxed he was stopping and waiting for the calf without throwing a fit and everything was fine untill I rode over and shut a gate. when I stepped back on him he threwq a fit when I headed him back after the pair. He tried to run away and when I pulled him out of that he went to bucking :!: What I didn't tell him is that I used to ride broncs. What I dang sure didn't tell him was I was'nt very good at it :!: When the dust cleared I stepped off him and whispered in his ear

ROSES ARE RED
VIOLETS ARE BLUE
HORSES THAT BUCK
ARE TURNED INTO GLUE

He wasw fine the rest of the day but I want to meet the guy who was team ropin off of him because he is a whole lot better hand than me :wink: :)

Dang...and I was not there with the camera....now THAT would have been some pix worth posting...cowboyup midair!!! :lol: :lol:

Don't ya just wonder how those guys sleep at night... If they did rope off of him he must of been doped up. Barrel racers dope em. Before you all get your panties in a wad, some do.. Yup he's definatley glue material.....

good point Katrina, and a pet peeve of mine, we have neighbors who team rope constantly, common practice for most of them is to give all of the steers some ACE so they run straight, all of the horses some ace so they don't box sour and have fun running steers. These guys never think that those steers actually end up in the food chain as beef with an unapproved drug in their system, horses that can't function without being doped. One of the local vets won't sell them ACE anymore, he told me, "Why do these guys have to slow down the steers and the horses so they can catch them? What happened to cowboys riding the fastest horse to catch the fastest steer or am I missing something. Maybe they should not drink so much beer before they rope, or maybe they have to drug the animals so the drunk wannabe cowboys can catch something." And they don't understand why I won't rope with them :???:

Good story Cowboy up,Greg has a paint stud he said hes going to whisper your poem to.We know a guy that drugs his horses all the time to trail ride them,pees Greg right off,says if they were properly broke and worked with this wouldn't have to happen :mad:

at least he didnt know you werent that good of a bronc rider or he wasnt that good a bronc??? ;)
Yeap I would send him on his way...with kids around he is untrustowrthy

If you want to p*** off some people, Run a barrel race later than planned. Just messes up everything. I use to lurk on Barrelhorseworld, and they would tell of useing a epeleptic drug on there horses. Not proven for use on horses. CRAZY.... I just don't see it....
And I have had the wonderful experiance of buying a horse from the Corsica Sale barn that was drugged...... Good ole April OConnell. Should of took her and the lady from the Corsica Sale barn to court. :mad: :mad:

Good stories!

Guess too many all want it right NOW!

No time to work with an animal. And then some are just not where they ought to be in life, both the rider and the horse.

I whisper to my horse too...............when I'm scared! :shock:

And no, I'm not insinuating that cowboyup was scared.

Just a small joke. Buy a small man. With a small mind. :lol:

Cowboyup-- bring him up here... A few days of riding on this ice and he should be broke or something (or someone) should be broke- make sure kris has good insurance on you :wink: :lol: ....I'm not sure there is enough bare ground to get a good jump :shock: Definitely leg breaking weather :roll: .....

We got about a 1/2 inch of snow on top of our layer of ice last night-- just enough to slick it up real good...One old mare wouldn't even come in this morning- she stood at the gate and looked at me like " that skimp of oats you give me ain't worth walking over any more ice for"....

I need to sort off some bred heifers this week- but if this ice don't start going I'll be corraling them with the feed truck and sorting on foot....

Another interesting piece of info...the guy who drugs his trail ride horses gets the drug from his buddy that works at a auction mart!!

The key to any good arena horse is that they see time outside of the arena. Some of the best rope horses are ranch horses too. Does a world of good for barrel horses too.

Thanks for the offer Oldtimer but riding on ice does put the fear of God into me. Jinglebob was right and I probably should have spent a little more time getting him used to me. I used him again today and he was a little better at least he didn't buck. He sure is gassey though but after 60 days and five hundred pairs he will either become a horse or he will be down the road :wink:

sw said:
good point Katrina, and a pet peeve of mine, we have neighbors who team rope constantly, common practice for most of them is to give all of the steers some ACE so they run straight, all of the horses some ace so they don't box sour and have fun running steers. These guys never think that those steers actually end up in the food chain as beef with an unapproved drug in their system, horses that can't function without being doped. One of the local vets won't sell them ACE anymore, he told me, "Why do these guys have to slow down the steers and the horses so they can catch them? What happened to cowboys riding the fastest horse to catch the fastest steer or am I missing something. Maybe they should not drink so much beer before they rope, or maybe they have to drug the animals so the drunk wannabe cowboys can catch something." And they don't understand why I won't rope with them :???:

Not saying I am for ace, but do you realize how long you have to keep a roping steer until you eat it. The ace is out.

A friend of mine joke's that he's a Trader of Fine horses and bute.Don't worry I bought a 6 year old Q.H. mare from him for my 5 year old kids shes dead broke.Come to think of it she's so Lazy her next step would be dead.

Denny said:
A friend of mine joke's that he's a Trader of Fine horses and bute.Don't worry I bought a 6 year old Q.H. mare from him for my 5 year old kids shes dead broke.Come to think of it she's so Lazy her next step would be dead.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts