• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Becoming a Dairy Bigot...

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Ben H

Reaction score
Just read this in Beef magazine newsletter...

Opinion: I'm Becoming A Dairy Bigot

Yet another animal abuse video highlighting dairy cows was released this week. Knowing how good 99.9% of the people are in our industry, my first reaction is to be angry at both the inhumane treatment of the animals and the activist groups that search for an industry's failings and then distort the facts to make things even worse than they are. However, this is becoming a trend.

The dairy industry needs to get its act together. Sure, it could be argued that everyone needs to be more cognizant of anything that could even be misconstrued as abuse. However, we have to recognize that the downer cow issue and damaging videos such as these are connected to the dairy industry.

Animal welfare is more than doing what is morally right and the economically smart thing to do. It is foundational to the credibility upon which our survival rests.
-- Troy Marshall

Having gone to college for Dairy Management, seen many large operations, and associated with many students who were from dairy farms, I will say that it may be the minority but there are certainly plenty of farms that have little respect for animals. I see it with smaller herds as well as larger herds, but again it's a minority. Unfortunately the majority who respects their animals don't make the news.

the thing that really piss's me off is the fact that the dairy industry gets all the blame for being cruel to animals. They are just an easy target.. I'm sure that there are idiots out there that abuse beef animals just as as well as horse people and so on and so forth. I would bet that there is no one that reads this post who at one time or another hasn't lost their temper when dealing with animals.Don't get me wrong, I don't condone the actions of this individual, but the person taking the video is just as guilty as the as the person doing the abusing. Maybe it's time to quit posting pictures of calves being branded and casturated.

After a minute of the video, I had to turn it off. My question is was this staged? I wouldn't put it past those animal rights wackos to stage this crap. For all we know, the hired help that is often hired at these places could've very well been members of these groups themselves.

In all my years spent around agriculture and farming, including dairy operations, i've never seen any sort of abuse or mistreatment of livestock.

Crap like that video gives all farmers & ranchers a bad name
:mad:

I agree with that this video looks stage. Why would someone just carry a video camra around and film that crap? But it looks like to me that this operation is hiring people that have never been around livestock. That crap is why the cattle industry gets a bad name from dumb ass people like that!!

tenbach79 said:
I agree with that this video looks stage. Why would someone just carry a video camra around and film that crap? But it looks like to me that this operation is hiring people that have never been around livestock. That crap is why the cattle industry gets a bad name from dumb ass people like that!!

Couldn't agree more and I wonder how big of a problem that really is, especially with all of the "factory" confinement hog and chicken farms ran by out of state corporations that are numerous all over Iowa and the Midwest in general.

To these losers who abuse livestock, it's a job, but to folks here who are regular posters, it's a more than just a job, it's a career and a way of life.

garn said:
After a minute of the video, I had to turn it off. My question is was this staged? I wouldn't put it past those animal rights wackos to stage this crap. For all we know, the hired help that is often hired at these places could've very well been members of these groups themselves.

In all my years spent around agriculture and farming, including dairy operations, i've never seen any sort of abuse or mistreatment of livestock.

Crap like that video gives all farmers & ranchers a bad name
:mad:

My Vets wifes family is five miles from where this took place! He said she knows the people that did this and that the one doing the beating has mental problems. He seems to think he was agged into doing it I hope the truth comes out!

OK, I just watched the video. About 45 seconds was enough. I am not blaming the industry by any means, this is far beyond anything I have seen or attitudes I have witnessed. There are times in life when we as an industry need to police our own. There is absolutely no excuse why this scum bag is not hanging from a short piece of rope, and anybody who has committed violent acts. This isn't just getting angry at an animal. There is no excuse for a person like this to be alive. YES, I am advocating vigilantism. When somebody witnesses this type of behavior, it is simply a waste of our legal systems resources to waste their time with somebody like this. Anyone who witnessed it and did not stop it is equally guilty and should be hanging beside him. Police your own. That's how I feel.

Yes 45 secs of watching that is enough. And Yes obviously that was a staged video, it said in the article that it was an undercover video but that is certainly not true as the camera man is following them around a few feet behind. The organization that released this video should be brought to justice. Give them some of there own medicine!

Looked to me like it was shot from a hidden camera, it's not like someone was walking around with a handheld. Where was it I read that this guy was studying to become a police officer??

Doesn't matter to me whether it is staged or hidden. Charges and punishment are indicated. :evil:

We all have probably lost our temper when a calf wont take to his mom or just wont suck I know I have. But this crap that was going on here is just plain sick. I hope they lock him up for a long time. People that abuse animals are more apt to be abusive toward humans and even worse kill someone.

Recently, a woman commuting to work in London reported a farmer to the RSPCA, as he kept his cattle in a tiny concrete yard. When the RSPCA investigated, they found that the grass based herd was in the collecting yard waiting to be milked when she passed in the morning, then again in the afternoon. The farmer invited the woman and her family to visit for the day on a weekend to see the daily routine. A city family had a great day on the farm, learned about how well stockmen care for their livestock, and made new friends in the country!
An initiative called "open farm sunday" has been running here for several years now and is growing in support, farms open to the public and run an educational program to teach city people how farms are run, livestock cared for, and where their food comes from wheat to flour, eggs from chickens etc.
By educting the public, we undermine the bunny huggers propaganda

Thats a very cool idea. I know some of my relatives that live in the city and they come out along with their kids and they bring their friends and those kids just have the time of their lives. Its funny the questions that the kids ask and you can tell that they have no idea where their food comes from and how a farm or ranch works and why we do things. Its little things like having a farm day that could help with people understanding what we do to care for our animals because this is our life. But there will always be someone that dont understand and they dont want to.

The man who is accused of abusing animals at an Ohio dairy revealed in court Thursday that he is studying to become a police officer.

Billy Joe Gregg Jr. mentioned it in arguing for a lower bond. He is reportedly a student at Columbus State Community College.

"I'm actually in a law-enforcement program because I have been a police officer, so I have exams," he was quoted as saying by NBC 4-TV in Columbus, Ohio. "I know those charges are pretty serious, but if I don't show up for those exams I'll be in more financial ruins 'cause I don't have job now."
http://www.dairyherd.com/news_editorial.asp?pgID=675&ed_id=11473

This scum better never come anywhere near a badge.

Ben H said:
The man who is accused of abusing animals at an Ohio dairy revealed in court Thursday that he is studying to become a police officer.

Billy Joe Gregg Jr. mentioned it in arguing for a lower bond. He is reportedly a student at Columbus State Community College.

"I'm actually in a law-enforcement program because I have been a police officer, so I have exams," he was quoted as saying by NBC 4-TV in Columbus, Ohio. "I know those charges are pretty serious, but if I don't show up for those exams I'll be in more financial ruins 'cause I don't have job now."
http://www.dairyherd.com/news_editorial.asp?pgID=675&ed_id=11473

This scum better never come anywhere near a badge.

Officer Gregg.....Holy crap, that would be scary!

Latest posts