• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Beef Alliances/Networks/Value Chains

Help Support Ranchers.net:

PureCountry

Reaction score
I've said before that we're in a beef alliance for a niche market, but I'm always looking for ways to improve and learn from what others are doing. So I'm wondering, do any of you know anything about some of the bigger groups in the US? I've heard of Rancher's Rennaissance, Lacey Ranches and a couple others, but I'm not sure just how they work. Rick Lacey spoke at a seminar in Alberta 2 years back, and I can't find any of the info he gave me then.

As far as I'm concerned, our group needs to do more, and do it better. We need stricter guidelines and protocols, for everything from food safety to carcass quality and handling practices. To demand a premium price, I believe you need to be offering something uniquely different, AND uniquely better than the next guy.

So, if anyone knows something, anything would be appreciated. Websites, phone numbers, articles, etc. Thanks all, in advance. :) :cboy:

Do a search for Oregon Country Beef and Painted Hills Beef. Two very successful programs in the Northwest,

PPRM

Pure Country is you group involved or enrolled in Quality Starts Here/Verified Beef Prodution program?

I understand the Natural Valley meats wants their suppliers to be on the program.

Thanks alot PPRM. I'll look into them

BMR, those are the kind of things I would like to see us do. Use those programs as guides and protocols. They also require each member to have an Environmental Farm Plan, as well as an On-Farm Food Safety Certification. I spoke with Cliff Drever last night about their program, and they're glad they went to the work of sticking to stricter protocols. Though he did say their market isn't really hot right now. It's ok, but could be better.

The thing is, when you tap on the doors of Natural Beef, or Traditional, or Organic, you have got to have your ducks in a row to back your claims. Any moron with a freezer of T-Bones can say they're a direct marketer, but to be sustainable and profitable at it you had better have your chips together.

I've looked at the progrms from afar....But here's my deal. Most guys are jumpin up and down over a $50.00 per head premium. I do a little work to sell my own and get $300.00-400.00 per head more than Tyson on the grid......

But, the excess go to Tyson, maybe I should be in a program and get the $50.00 on those calves I am sending to Tyson,

PPRM

Latest posts