• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Beef Prices Starting To Soar

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Terry, I would still like to know why so many cattle producers in our area are getting terrible cancers. One friend thinks it may be from the chemicals used for parasites. Most of us havn't been as careful as we should be handling these. Way before I can remember, cattle were "dipped" by making them swim through a swimming pool of bug killer. I can remember a co-op cow people belonged to here when our cattle were sprayed with something each fall. After that came the pour ons, Spotton is what I recall using, an the last years until now the poison of choice has been Ivermectin.
Are these things killing the 55 -75 yr olds' now?

Borderancher, I want to know why no one ever answered your question, or at least expressed an opinion? (BTW, I must say that reading your posts has me really appreciating you class, humor, and tact! If only I were so good...). The idea that more people are being diagnosed with cancer in a certain age group that would have been exposed to the same chemicals at the same time seems to be a very valid concern. I'm "younger" and never knew about the cattle being "dipped" but we do backpour and now I will be even more careful with handling it!!!

Re. dipping cattle: yes, it was done and stopped when safer, more effective, less costly, less messy methods of controlling the problems were found.. Temple Grandin even jumped into a dipping vat to see for herself what it must be like for the cattle, and suffered no ill effects.

Cancer and other illnesses have many causes, from the very sunlight on our skin, air we breathe, stresses we suffer, and more. However, people also live longer due to many illnesses conquered with modern medicine, allowing more cancers the time necessary to take lives of those longer living people.

I've known people who accidentally were doused with pour-on and lived many years after, though very ill for a short time after the accident.

Everyone raising food animals absolutely MUST learn and follow proper procedures with all medications and treatments of the animals for their own safety AND consumer safety. There are no excuses with all the information and classes available, much of it free of charge.

I do fear that cancer, like too many other organisms can and will change to survive, thus sickening humans and animals they find in their proximity.

mrj

Latest posts