• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Beef Producers Castration Survey

Help Support Ranchers.net:

CaelKeith

Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Cael Keith, and I am looking to survey beef producers as part of a class project at Ohio State University for my Animal Science 5000 course. My survey has the goal of looking at beef producer's opinion on burdizzo castration and the use of analgesics while castrating. The survey is run through the Ohio State University Qualtrics system. If you are a beef producer, would you please take this opportunity to take the survey. The survey should not take longer than 10 minutes. It will ask some demographics questions, then ask some details related to your operation and finally some questions about your opinions on castration, analgesics, and animal welfare.

This is the link to the survey: https://osu.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_bf4eUu8DKxwu8FU

Thank you in advance to those that take the survey!

My only hope concerning the Burdizzo contraption is that the inventor used them on himself, they actually worked and he did not multiply. They have made more stags and lost more money for producers who bought them thinking they were the cat's meow.
Neighbor here used them for years and had up to 40% stags every year.

They are scrap metal, nothing more.

My only hope concerning the Burdizzo contraption is that the inventor used them on himself, they actually worked and he did not multiply. They have made more stags and lost more money for producers who bought them thinking they were the cat's meow.
Neighbor here used them for years and had up to 40% stags every year.

They are scrap metal, nothing more.
We have friends who use them and swear by them. They have 2 people running them. Mr. FH would NOT use them...FWIW. But these people have used them on calves for years. Maybe some are better at operating them. Who knows?

Knife.... and pull. have used Emasculator usually on bigger calves, that after a knife cut. Really like Emasculator for docking lamb tails. but that tool that dose lamb tails only dose lamb tails

Last edited:
Knife for me since some of the sack can be left to fill with fat that is one thing a judge may look at if a close first and second are hard to decide. My father used bands, but I always used a knife. A pealed testicle chopped up and put in scrambled eggs makes a breakfast that will last till noon hahaha!

No, I won't click on a link for a survey that has no value. I won't give out such info on location, etc., as I don't trust all these supposed surveys that may be info-stealing sites from China.

I don't know how methods of castration have any use in educating students in livestock science. Anyone working on a degree in Livestock Sciences should already know about and have experience with castration. If not then that degree will be worthless in my opinion. Way too many degreed but inexperienced folks involved in agriculture.

Latest posts