• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Beginner Interested In cattle

Help Support Ranchers.net:

bfields32

Reaction score
Hi I'm 23 I'm interested in purchasing cattle I'm interested in Brahman and angus or hereford I live in east tx Winnsboro tx to be exact just want to know the do ands donts of starting off in the cattle world. And any advice that can be given to me from anyone on this site . Just trying to figuring out where to start off i have 50 acres and have 4-5 pastures a lot of roaming. Trying to figure how many cattle to start off with since I am new to this when is the best time to buy cattle should I buy bred cows , bred heifers or cows with pairs any knowledge would help if any one is in my area or close east tx would like to see if i could come see how your operation works.

A good start would be to read and understand the articles on this web site http://www.beefmagazine.com/strategic-planning-ranch by Burke Teichert there are quiet a few going back to 2012. Start with the oldest article first would be a good idea.

If I had 50 acres in east tx, I'd use it to put together odd lots (cheaper) and sell matching truckloads on superior.

DaneG said:
A good start would be to read and understand the articles on this web site http://www.beefmagazine.com/strategic-planning-ranch by Burke Teichert there are quiet a few going back to 2012. Start with the oldest article first would be a good idea.
:agree:

I'd also look into Akaushi cattle. Quite a few breeders in Texas. It might be a way to add value. I bought some bulls last spring to use as a terminal cross on Angus cows. We'll see next fall how I get along.

You might want to sit out the next couple dances and just work for/with a neighbor that has some scars. That whole buy low sell high thing - we're overbuilding the herd because of unnaturally cheap corn. A little more herd expansion and a hiccup in corn production, and you'll see plenty cheap cows.

Brad S said:
You might want to sit out the next couple dances and just work for/with a neighbor that has some scars. That whole buy low sell high thing - we're overbuilding the herd because of unnaturally cheap corn. A little more herd expansion and a hiccup in corn production, and you'll see plenty cheap cows.

around here the cows are plenty cheap already. 40 to 50 kill cows and $900 to $1400 breds with a few special groups bringing more money but last week you could have laid in a herd at the bred cow sale for under $900 average..

With the 50 acres i have what would be a good amount to start with maybe 3-5 bred momma cows. when is the best time of year to buy in the spring is that the best time?

I would look at buying older bred cows about a month from now. Calve them out and haul everything back to the sale in the fall. Just don't fall in love with any of them and think you need to keep them. That won't work in all markets but bred cows are cheap enough right now you should be able to make a nice paycheck and cows don't get old by not doing their job. I made quite a bit of money doing this but you have to be a little careful when the market is good.

If I had 50 acres in east tx, I'd use it to put together odd lots (cheaper) and sell matching truckloads on superior.
Hello

This thread is pretty old but I'm new to the site and also wanting to ranch cattle what does put together odd lots and sell matching truckloads on superior mean?

Latest posts