• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Behind the Veil of Science

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Murgen

Reaction score
Randy or somebody else might have posted this before, but I just reread it and I thought I'd repost it. Good paper, with some good observations.

http://www.leiss.ca/bse/156

Murgen said:
Randy or somebody else might have posted this before, but I just reread it and I thought I'd repost it. Good paper, with some good observations.

http://www.leiss.ca/bse/156
Murgen if you like that one, you will really like another one from Dr. Leiss'

BSE Risk in Canada: Finally, the Penny Drops

Here I contend that Canadian politicians have been misleading the public about the issues surrounding Japan's policy on continuing to refuse imports of Canadian beef. We have been told that Japan's policy is contemptuous of "science" and is unfair trade protectionism, and that the Japanese position is manifestly unreasonable. These are all, I contend, blatantly unfair claims. Our politicians and media commentators have not presented the issues fairly to us.

Canada's longstanding policy is to ban imports of beef from all countries "not known to be free of BSE." This ban includes some countries which have reported only a single case of the disease in their herds a full two years ago.

The bottom line is this: Japan's refusal to admit Canadian beef, following the discovery of a case of BSE in our country, is entirely consistent with the policy that Canada imposes on all other countries for its own beef imports. Thus our ridiculous complaints against Japan are simply a case of rank hypocrisy.

Thanks Mike, I've read all of his articles, pretty good insight into the whole mess we're in, don't you think?

Can't remember when it was, but I posted some of these quite awhile ago.

Some very good info. on risk assestment and communicating those risks and transparency to the public, don't you think?

Murgen said:
Thanks Mike, I've read all of his articles, pretty good insight into the whole mess we're in, don't you think?

Some very good info. on risk assestment and communicating those risks and transparency to the public, don't you think?

Excellent. Absolutely excellent. Wish we could get our guvments to listen up.

Oh, he's just a scholar, why would lawyers listen to him!

I should have sent some of these articles to Rcalf, before they started spouting off!

Murgen said:
Oh, he's just a scholar, why would lawyers listen to him!

I should have sent some of these articles to Rcalf, before they started spouting off!
Actually they have a lot in common with him.

Leiss:"The bottom line is this: Japan's refusal to admit Canadian beef, following the discovery of a case of BSE in our country, is entirely consistent with the policy that Canada imposes on all other countries for its own beef imports."

The above statement is right out of the r-calf playbook.
Others:
Packer greed
Inadequate Risk Assessment
Guvment bungling of BSE

There are others but the point is, he is not a yes man for the guvment or the multinationals. I call those "Mavericks".

Mike said:
Murgen said:

Excellent. Absolutely excellent. Wish we could get our guvments to listen up.

AMEN!

:) Nice to see interesting alliances like this. Kind of throws out the label thing now doesn't it. Go Dr. Liess. Comes out to our University of Calgary in Alberta from time to time ya know.

Latest posts