• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Being "Purty" does not make a cow!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Today while I was busy cleaning corrals- I got a phone call from the Sheriff's Office telling me there were yearlings out on the Highway in the area of our pasture- which I told them I was pretty sure weren't mine- as the neighbors that run 5,000 head have them scattered everywhere this year...
But the temp was raising and the tractor cab (no AC )on the loader tractor was rising so since I hadn't checked cows- I decided to drive north and check.... I took my 89 year old uncle that has had to move into an assisted care unit- and we checked cows..

I found most of the cows a long way from the highway- and near one of the springs which are keeping all the waterholes full... I don't think I've seen cows or calves looking so nice.... My uncle commented that the last time he saw grass so nice was in 1939....

Anyway I had to take a picture of a second calver standing beside us with her steer calf..She is an N Bar Prime Time D806 daughter out of a double bred 6807 X Boltan of Wye cow... Some of the "experts" had told me not to breed to Prime Time because of the production you would lose- or the disposition you would get with D806... The calf is a Whitney Creek Bannon 730T son...

Well she don't look that "purty" - at 4 frame and around 1100lbs- with no ears or tail (but I know that makes her a survivor--who also likes to eat cake out of your hand ) ---BUT with a steer calf that will weigh well into the 600+ range at weaning-- I don't know what more you could ask for.....

100_0213.jpg

Good looks are a nice thing to look at, but when the going gets tough, character is a lot more important. That goes for people and cows. :D

Notbreedingtruetoform.jpg

Here is one of ours that has the same qualifications. She ain't pretty, but she won't eat cake on a bet (which saves the ranch money),
and she always has a 'pretty' decent calf. Her ears aren't even long enough to accomodate an ear tag. The calf's tag reads NELT,
which in Soapweed jargon means "no ears, long tail." We also have NEST (no ears, short tail) and NENT (no ears, no tail). When
there is more than one cow with these qualifications, the year brand is noted as well. Cow NEST7 has no ears, a short tail, and she was
born in 2007.

Soapweed said:
Here is one of ours that has the same qualifications. She ain't pretty, but she won't eat cake on a bet (which saves the ranch money),
and she always has a 'pretty' decent calf. Her ears aren't even long enough to accomodate an ear tag. The calf's tag reads NELT,
which in Soapweed jargon means "no ears, long tail." We also have NEST (no ears, short tail) and NENT (no ears, no tail). When
there is more than one cow with these qualifications, the year brand is noted as well. Cow NEST7 has no ears, a short tail, and she was
born in 2007.

I like that identification system, Soapweed. :wink: Anyway that works so you can keep them straight.

Latest posts