• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Belarus tractors

Help Support Ranchers.net:

We have a 5190 (1999 model) that is now parked as reverse gear seems to have went on strike. This was actually a good tractor, and I doubt a more economical tractor has ever been built. I forget exactly how many hours are on this tractor, somewhere around 7000 I think, which made the cost to own somewhere around $5/hour.
If you are looking for creature comforts and modern refinements then Belarus will disappoint you though. They are pretty crude. When we did need parts they weren't always available off the shelf, but took about the same amount of time to ship as the competition.... unless you needed a front tire. Turns out those are a rare and unusual commodity :shock: and can only be obtained from a dealer.
If you have a good dealer reasonably close I wouldn't be afraid of one, just keep in mind it wont be worth much when you are done with it.

I have a 562 Fwa with a Leon loader. A 825 with a 595 Allied Loader. And a 925 with a Koyker loader. All three are the same style all front wheel assist. They cost me $16,000 for the 825 with 700 hours on it 15 years ago the 562 was $8000 and I've had that one about 12 years and the 925 I bought last fall for $10,250 with 1800 hours on it. The parts are 2 or 3 days away if there not in stock at our local dealer they just ship them Fed ex right to my house. The Tire that's tough to get is a 13.6 x20 they cost a bit over $500 and I have several places I can get them so that's not a problem in my area. It used to be so I just kept one on hand. I need to put a clutch in the 925 the clutch,pressure plate and throw out bearing plus resurfaceing the flywheel will cost a touch over $500 The dealer will do it for an additional $500 in labor. They aren't as fancy as a New John Deere but they make hay and feed cows just fine at a lot less purchase price and I'd bet 1/2 the fuel per hour as the same horsepower John Deere.

I wouldn't buy a 1025 from what I here is they are basically the same as a 825 on steroids maxed out on power and have troubles breaking the crank. I don't know for sure other than the 562,825,925 all the motor's tranny's axels the parts all interchange. The 1025 is the same also.

There's a guy 30 miles from me who buy's and resells them exporting a lot of them to Egypt and Viet Nam that's where I bought the 925 super clean tractor. He gets some nice ones and prefers to sell those here and export the worn out ones.

I'll never farm without them the fuel savings is unreal.We covered about 300 acres of hay ground mowing and rakeing and baleing with my 7060 Allis and it was right at 1 gallon per acre for the 300 acres all totaled.

They aren't as fancy as a New John Deere but they make hay and feed cows just fine at a lot less purchase price and I'd bet 1/2 the fuel per hour as the same horsepower John Deere.

Most tractors take about 1 gallon of fuel to make 10-12 HP for 1 Hour. A John Deere tractor recently set the record at about 19 HP /hour w/ 1 gallon of fuel at the Nebraska Tractor Test Lab.

New Holland is testing a Hydrogen Powered Prototype tractor at present. Free fuel. Won't that be nice.

Mike said:
They aren't as fancy as a New John Deere but they make hay and feed cows just fine at a lot less purchase price and I'd bet 1/2 the fuel per hour as the same horsepower John Deere.

Most tractors take about 1 gallon of fuel to make 10-12 HP for 1 Hour. A John Deere tractor recently set the record at about 19 HP /hour w/ 1 gallon of fuel at the Nebraska Tractor Test Lab.

New Holland is testing a Hydrogen Powered Prototype tractor at present. Free fuel. Won't that be nice.

Well I'll take the real world side by side in the field comparison doing the same work and putting 30 gallons in a John Deere vs the 15 the Belarus took.

You'll pay for the fuel in the Hydrogen tractors up front in purchase price.

Well I'll take the real world side by side in the field comparison doing the same work and putting 30 gallons in a John Deere vs the 15 the Belarus took.

I wouldn't if I were you. Some of the newer Tier III & IIII ones are pretty danged good. I was on a 2 year 100 HP JD and used almost exactly 1/2 the fuel of an old JD 4430 tractor while we cut some hay using the exact same model MOCO hay cutters. Besides, there is only so much energy contained in a gallon of diesel.

The trick is the cost of the Hydrogen Generator. New Holland says that they will be bought by several farmers as a co-op in an area as a supply. Plus, it will take electricity to power the Generators.

Mike said:
Besides, there is only so much energy contained in a gallon of diesel.

That is correct. However, some manufactures have figured out how to waste a great deal of that energy and put little of it to use.
The commies must have had something figured out because I haven't seen a North American tractor approach the efficiency of the Belarus. If they are just figuring it out now they are awful late to the table, and if folks want to pay that kind of money for brand new green paint then that's great. More power to 'em.
I like my old 7700 JD, it's mostly a well build tractor. But bought used with 8000 hrs on it, it cost about the same as the brand new Belarus. And we have yet to see how well it does in the 7000 hrs I expect to own it :wink:

Heat is the biggest waste of fuel energy. But in an internal combustion engine there's no getting around it. By the time you get the engine power to the power take-off you lose about 15%, I don't care what kind of tractor you have.

The Belarus tractors avg around 10-14 HP/Hr per gallon of fuel. About the same as most others.

Smaller HP tractors do use less fuel overall I agree. But when you compare HP/Hr Gal of fuel, they are all fairly even.
The 730 John Deere was manufactured from 1958 to mid 1960. It was a successor to the 720 that was one of the most fuel-efficient tractors, according to the Nebraska Tests. The reputation of the 720 carried over to the 730 as it was very similar in design of engine and power train. In fact, the engine speed (1125), bore and stroke (6 1/8 by 6 3/8), drawbar horsepower (53.6) and CID (376) were found in both models. The 720 Diesel achieved a 17,9 horsepower-hours per gallon of fuel. The 730 was not tested, but could be expected to perform approximately the same. The difference in the two models included an improved muffler, new instrument panel, more convenient clutch and operating levers, fuller fenders and recessed lights; also a new two color paint and decal arrangement. The 730 deisel weighed 7,830 pounds. The 720 Diesel weighed 7,570 pounds. The 730 was available in four versions: diesel, gasoline, LP gas and all fuel. The 730 offered two starting systems: a V-4 gasoline engine or an electrical, 24-volt system. The latter was to gain most popularity of owners. Most farmers that own or have owned either the 720 or 730, will usually state something to the effect that was "the most economical tractor I have ever had." The 730 would to establish its own distinct record. It was at that time the most powerful row crop tractor of the John Deere line. The 830 was not a row crop, as it was offered only as a Standard, or Wheatland. The 730 was also the end of the two cylinder tractors. This design lasted for almost 40 years. The two-cylinder had achieved an amazing record in terms of quality, endurance, simplicity and efficiency. One interesting note about the 730 production was that for about six months after United States assembly stopped, the tractor continued to be made for export until 1961.

Listed are tractors to 1985 in Fuel Efficiency rating from worst to best:

http://www.inet2000.com/granerfarm/tracfuel.htm

Mike said:

I wouldn't if I were you. Some of the newer Tier III & IIII ones are pretty danged good. I was on a 2 year 100 HP JD and used almost exactly 1/2 the fuel of an old JD 4430 tractor while we cut some hay using the exact same model MOCO hay cutters. Besides, there is only so much energy contained in a gallon of diesel.

The trick is the cost of the Hydrogen Generator. New Holland says that they will be bought by several farmers as a co-op in an area as a supply. Plus, it will take electricity to power the Generators.

One potentially neat thing about hydrogen is that you can make it with "junk" electricity---juice that might not be full 60 cycle and varying in strengths. A guy down the road has lotsa patents on 'verticle axis' windmills---8 rpm wide open, birds roost on it instead of get killed by it, accessible from the ground, most parts can be replaced with a couple crescent wrenches, uses that shiny hard nylon instead of steel bushings/bearings and gets about 8x the life over steel. Looks kinda like a merry go round, with 'sails' instead of horses----they turn according to the wind and make power about 3/4 of each round.

Anyhow, if a guy had one of these on his farmstead and used the surplus to make hydrogen, he could perhaps generate a large % of his own energy use.

Mike said:
The Belarus tractors avg around 10-14 HP/Hr per gallon of fuel. About the same as most others.

So correct me if I'm wrong. That old 5190 Belarus makes about 93 pto hp. More at the flywheel I'm sure. Based on your formula the best one could hope for under full load would be in the neighbourhood of 6.6 gallons per hour. Based on that theory I would be chased out of the field or walking with a bucket in my hand in 4.3 hours of working time.

Silver said:
Mike said:

So correct me if I'm wrong. That old 5190 Belarus makes about 93 pto hp. More at the flywheel I'm sure. Based on your formula the best one could hope for under full load would be in the neighbourhood of 6.6 gallons per hour. Based on that theory I would be chased out of the field or walking with a bucket in my hand in 4.3 hours of working time.

Just because it's running doesn't mean it's putting out that much HP. Hell, you can idle and tinker one around all week and not burn much fuel. :lol:

The HP/Hr per gal is when it's at or near peak HP. As it should be. Pulling a hayrake? No. They all get good consumption rates then.

Either some "expert's" calculations are skived or my 7400 JD just doesn't have the HP it's supposed to have. I can drag a 1411 discbine through the swamps and rocks for 8 hrs. on 18 to 20 Canadian gallons.

Had a Universal tractor once, it made me scared of anything built in eastern Europe.

Mike said:
Silver said:
Mike said:

Just because it's running doesn't mean it's putting out that much HP. Hell, you can idle and tinker one around all week and not burn much fuel. :lol:

The HP/Hr per gal is when it's at or near peak HP. As it should be. Pulling a hayrake? No. They all get good consumption rates then.

What part of Full Load did you not understand? :?

Silver said:
Mike said:
Silver said:

What part of Full Load did you not understand? :?

All of it. Because chances are you have never worked your tractor under a FULL load at peak HP for more than an hour as they do under the fuel consumption tests.

6 gal per hour is probably about average for a 95 HP tractor under full load. But when it's making 20 HP the consumption goes down to about 2-3 gallons per hour.

I have an 85 PTO HP tractor that is rated at 5 gallons per hour. But when doing menial chores it might take 2-3 days to burn a 40 gallon tank.

We're not exactly comparing apples to apples here.

http://tractortestlab.unl.edu/testreports

The fuel consumption measurement, horsepower-hours per gallon (hp-hr./gal.), has become the standard used for comparing the efficiency of all agricultural tractor models. Measured directly, it means that burning one gallon of fuel in the tractor at full load and at rated engine speed produces a certain amount of horsepower for an hour. The higher the number, the greater the fuel efficiency; that is, more work is being done with a given amount of fuel.

gcreekrch said:
Either some "expert's" calculations are skived or my 7400 JD just doesn't have the HP it's supposed to have. I can drag a 1411 discbine through the swamps and rocks for 8 hrs. on 18 to 20 Canadian gallons.

Had a Universal tractor once, it made me scared of anything built in eastern Europe.

http://tractortestlab.unl.edu/c/document_library/get_file?uuid=f1852945-8287-44e2-a36b-2a8e97c1e9e9&groupId=4805395&.pdf

Notice the Varying Rates of HP outputs and fuel consumptions.

It's not how many HP your tractor has, it's how many HP is being exerted.

Latest posts