• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Best Crossbred

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A very hardy, easy keeping breed often overlooked in the USA, is te Sussex;
http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/cattle/sussex/reg.htm
We used them to cross over our Sanga and Bos Indicus cows in areas where few British breeds could cope.
http://www.sussexcattlesociety.org.uk/
If you are interested in a heat tolerant black hided breed with no relationship to the Angus, the Mashona is available in the USA the main breeder has a link on this under constuction site;
http://sangacattle.webs.com/

We have a neighbor that raises Saler Black angus cross bulls, they look good but I don't think I want to buy any bulls from them for a few reasons.

For $1400 a head I'll sell you 30 yearlings spring of 2011 if you buy 10 or more I'll deliver them.

Denny said:
For $1400 a head I'll sell you 30 yearlings spring of 2011 if you buy 10 or more I'll deliver them.
I would like to but I won't have the pasture or the money, and my dad only lets me buy or keep 2 or 3 heifers a year.

Denny said:
We must have different buyers here because the red hides will cost you a dime. I'm not going to raise red cattle here with a hope of changeing the buyer's mind the $50 per head dock I take in the fall is a hard pill to swallow. The Gelbveih will loose most buyers they just don't want to feed something that keeps growing and growing and never finish. Those were the buyer's words as he was looking for some big calves for september delivery.He passed on them without a blink. Problem is most of the (NEW) Gelbveih are 1/2 or 3/4 Black Angus anyhow so why not just stay with the Angus Kinda like Black Simmental's most likely 7/8th Angus these (Other) Black breeds are rideing on coattails in my opinion.Their about as purebred as a put together salebarn herd.

In this country year over year on average blacks will cost you on sale day. The most successful order buyer in the region told me one time that there is more money in Blonde calves than Angus every time. They may cost a little more to feed but they more than make up for it in dressing percentage.

Silver what color calves would I get if I crossed an Angus cow with a Blonde bull? I was looking at Westlane Farms website and I really like how there yearling and 2 year old bulls look.

Silver said:
Denny said:
We must have different buyers here because the red hides will cost you a dime. I'm not going to raise red cattle here with a hope of changeing the buyer's mind the $50 per head dock I take in the fall is a hard pill to swallow. The Gelbveih will loose most buyers they just don't want to feed something that keeps growing and growing and never finish. Those were the buyer's words as he was looking for some big calves for september delivery.He passed on them without a blink. Problem is most of the (NEW) Gelbveih are 1/2 or 3/4 Black Angus anyhow so why not just stay with the Angus Kinda like Black Simmental's most likely 7/8th Angus these (Other) Black breeds are rideing on coattails in my opinion.Their about as purebred as a put together salebarn herd.

In this country year over year on average blacks will cost you on sale day. The most successful order buyer in the region told me one time that there is more money in Blonde calves than Angus every time. They may cost a little more to feed but they more than make up for it in dressing percentage.

Is'nt it funny how different region's can have such financial differance's on cattle and hide color. If your selling calves in the fall here they had best be black. If your selling yearlings it does'nt matter what color they are.

Denny

Same here where I live. I have watched really really nice red angus come thru the ring and take a little ding compered to what they would bring if they were black. We have all black angus and I always say that if I was to build a herd from the ground up they would be red angus. Really nice cattle...too bad they get dinged at market time. All I got to say is that the CAB people did their job to perfection thru the years.

AngusCowboy, TB Saler is located by Dante SD they have sold at Midland in the past, have an annaul sale in Feb in Yankton, I have seen bulls go out as far as KY. His name is Terry Beeson phone #605-two 8 six-3955

andybob said:
Does anyone run reds as their base herd, and use black bulls to achieve the CAB requierments?

It depends on what kind of red cows and what kind of black bulls you are talking about, if you want to meet the CAB requirements. Hide color guarantees nothing. CAB is a marbling program, if you have premium Choice level of marbling under a black hide, then you'll get your CAB carcass. How do you get that?? Hint: Angus bull with some marbling potential. It's not just a "black" program, but a black program with some strings attached. Total of 10 carcass specs listed here: http://www.cabpartners.com/facts/index.php Capitalizing on one of the strengths of the Angus breed, marbling. Other breeds have it too, obviously the Red Angus breed is extremely good for marbling.

It's not quite as simple as painting cattle black, as much as some folks would like to believe it to support their own biases. Lots of naysayers want to discount the most important component, carcass merit.

HP

You black hide nuts make me laugh-----Why do you always accuse the Hereford people of inheriting their wealth?
. :D :D :D :D

Juan said:
You black hide nuts make me laugh-----Why do you always accuse the Hereford people of inheriting their wealth?
. :D :D :D :D

Well I have to agree- that up here the red calves will be discounted below the blacks- and the straight hereford calves will be a nickel back or more some years depending upon demand....

But like the original posters put up- they will sell side by side once they hit yearlings..... And then again be docked and take it in the shorts as bred heifers or bred cows...

AngusCowBoy said:
Silver what color calves would I get if I crossed an Angus cow with a Blonde bull? I was looking at Westlane Farms website and I really like how there yearling and 2 year old bulls look.

You'd get the same results as with Gelbvieh bulls I suppose, which I think is mostly black. One of the Gelbvieh breeders would know I'm sure.

We had quite a bunch of nice Red Angus/Gelbvieh cross cows at one time. Thinking their calves would be worth more by doing so, I bred them all to straight Angus bulls. We got some very good calves out of the deal. Most of the calves came out black, but there were also quite a few reds, and probably 20 percent came out gray. The grays were very good calves, but were sure docked when it came time to sell. I went back to using red bulls on the red cows, because by doing so, the result is always a red calf. Seeing the premiums being paid for black calves, I dispersed our red cow herd a few years ago, just before reds became popular again. :roll: :cry: :wink:

If you think you can buy straight hereford females cheap don't come up tp our country lol. Good cattle of just about any breed sell well-put togethers even if they are flavour of the month can be a tough sale. If your worried about colour sell your cattle in the beef.

Latest posts