• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Best Electric Fence Charger - GOT ONE. Another question about ground rods...

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Zasorul

Reaction score
I'm going to get another charger. I want a strong one. The solar one I've been using has never really given a strong enough shock. I figured I'd have to get the electrician out for this one - or should I just get one that plugs in?

I'd prefer to go to my local southern states and buy one. Any suggestions?

For horses I use a Gallagher solar charger, works well as a horse will learn quick, and is thinner skinned that a cow. I use the S15 model. For cows i use a Parmak twelve volt fencer, charged by a newer 12 volt battery and backed up with a 15 watt, one amp solar panel. This will run all summer and keep battery up and give a good shock.. even enough to train some bulls. lol :cboy:

As prev stated, buy the biggest / best you can afford. Also make sure it is sufficient for cover the length of fence you plan to energize.

A Stafix 12 or 120 volt convertible 6 joule will hold any stock if properly grounded. I also use a 6 joule 120 powered made in Ok that will throw 3/8this of an inch of spark a mile away. Just ground any of them properly, and don't check by hand.

You are absolutely right.. proper ground is the backbone of any electric fence.... Mine are galvanized rods 6 ft long, driven in min. of 5 ft. I 'once' got to check fence by hand.... the wife turned it on while i was standing in the river with wire in my hands....... damn that smarts, and two days later my wrist, elbows and shoulder joints still hurt. :D :D :cboy:

One time I hit a fence that big Gallengher charger that puts out 16 joules. It was a religious experience. I hit it once. Never got within 10 feet of that fence again. I have 3 of those Parmak 12 volt solar chargers. They work well even in the winter. Whatever you get over do the ground system. I want 2 or 3 ground rods. Use the 6 foot galvanized rods placed 10 feet apart. If your soil gets real dry, water the ground rods.

We have 3 8 ft copper rods grounding the permanent set up. I always use one to ground a circle of stalks, water it if needed. I have used 2 ten feet apart on a larger temporary fence, just made a hot fenced hotter.

We sell Speedrite (same as Stayfix), but Gallagher are also a good fencer. The biggest issue is Joules of output and grounding. You can run a lot of fence on a solar setup as long as you have enough panel. For summer in our country you need at least 10W per Joule. In winter, 20 is better. You also should have at least 6' of GALVANIZED ground rod in the ground for every Joule of fence, and 10' is better. If I was in the US and had access to mains power I would get a 63000R Speedrite. They plug into 220 and are rated for several hundred miles of fence. We run a 36000R in 2 yards (36 joule), an 18000 solar unit, a couple of 2000/3000 solar outfits and 6000 and a 9000. They all do slightly different jobs, but for permanent plug in is probably the best if you can access it.

I should add that I polish the copper rods every time I install the first time every fall, they do corrode.

If you want a fencer that will last, get a taylor.
For solar, buy a good 12 volt fencer and a solar panel & charge control. Make your own. Make the mount for the solar panel so panel can be tipped straight up during snowy weather. Then snow won't stick to it and with sun reflecting off snow on ground, it will charge about ad much as pointed at the sun.

Watch the joules, get 6 or more
Most of the solar fencers are way to wimpy!

I bought one several years ago advertised to cover 150 miles of moderetly weeds fence with a 12 joule output at 8,000 volts - - - I have 5 miles of fence

Going to the south farm with one ground I was down to 5,000 V so I put in another 10' steel copper clad ground rod 10' from the first - - - up to 6,000 volts on the south farm - - - another 10' copper clad rod and I get 7,500 on the far farm.

After the cattle got used to this I have unpluged the noisy thing when working in the shop and forgotten it for a couple of weeks and they still don't check it.

My middle groung rod is under the downspout of the work shop and I feel that helps

I also paid extra for a lighting arrester and that charger is probably over 20 years old and going strong.

Buy the biggest one you can afford and depending on the depth of the water table make sure the ground rods are long enough - - - in the soil around east central Indiana a galvanised rod will be gone in 3 to 5 years but the copper clad will last several decades - - - that is why the power companies use them.

Galvanised might work in your area but check with the power company and find out what they use and or reccomend

I have not seen that brand but their ad sure says all the things I like - - - hopefully I will not need a replacement in my lifetime but I would consider one of their's if I needed one.

As far as ground rods I still say check with your local utility company and use what they use and the number will be determined by the type of soil and moisture in your area.

Latest posts