• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

best fence for stud?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

ksvdberg

Reaction score
Ok here's my problem. My young stud has decided it's okay to jump our 5 ft tall 'horse wire' fence. He's gotten over twice and tried and failed twice. He hasn't challenged our 5 ft tall panels yet but I could see it in the near future if he's gotten over the wire. He's only 2 so he's got a ways to grow yet. He's is not alone in the pen, he has 3 other horse for company. We've been looking for taller panels but they seem to be very rare around here. What do you guys think about mounting the 5 ft panels a little higher on the wood posts? Our other option would be to put a hot and a cold wire at the top of the fence extending it a little higher. I want to avoid wood fence as it gets chewed really fast. What would you guys do? :???:

All of my stud pens are 7 foot tall. If the fence is tall enough that the stud can just pop his head over the top it seems about right. They are the 3 board wood fences but electric is run on the top board. T can still look over but he isnt going anywhere. He is 16.3 so it should be able to keep your feller in

ive actually considered someone elses fence! Im thinking about putting him into training for a few months until i can get this straight.

our plan it to fix it tomorrow just not exactly sure what were going to do. I think we are going to have to string up the electric wires as it seems the panels are not in stock and it would take a couple weeks to get them in. maybe we'll just get the wires up now and order the panels to do a major fence renovation as soon as we can pound posts again.

Any stud kep here is behind a 7 foot fence. I also run 2 strands of hot wire one on the inside and have it sticking out about 4-6 inches from the fence, and the other one the top so far none have tried to get out. I have even kept mares who are in season on the other side of the fence. I also have larger studs...Full blooded percherons so they are 18+hh and easy 2200lbs.

edited to add: one thing to remeber to is when you do your hot wire you want a gooood HOT shock. I hate them cute fencers that when you get a zap you just look down like hummmm was that a bug. My fencer will make you blink back tears and as well as mutter some nasty words( I know I have watched ranch hands who don't believe me about how strong it is,I think they think I'm joking!). Our horses/studs/bulls/cows have never gotten out. Why? How? Because like every critter they tested the fence and found it bites back hard...not just a little nip. Even when the power has gone out for days( a week one summer) they didn't think about it.

One problem with fence height is that if you make it high enough that he can just get his head over, he will spend all his time looking over that fence and after several months will over develop his underneath neck muscle giving him an appearance of a ewe neck. If it were me I would first try a single hot wire about 18 to 20 inches from the fence in the pen at chest height. He already shows no respect for a fence and this might correct that in a hurry.

I think that is exactly our plan for today. Two wires one hot one cold that way the shock is bigger. Thats interesting about the taller fences and the neck muscles. So what height is good for quarter horses? Would 6 ft be enough? I think our plan for our big renovation after the ground thaws is 6 ft panels with poles a foot taller so we can get a good hot wire a little higher.

Just forgot to add that our fencing here can be seen thru. No need for the horses to try to, or want to put their heads over...that and the top hot wire keeps em down I'm sure.

Depends entirely on the height of the horse. Panels are good becasue they can still easily see through them. Studs like to run up and get their chest right up against the fence. Over time they dig a trench deeper and deeper. They get so focused on Mares that they don't even watch where they are going. A fence tall enough to keep him from getting his jaws over would be my suggestion... and the hot wire to keep him off of it entirely. Actually if you do use the hot wire to keep him off the fence then he may not stretch up to see over it. Thats depends on how far from the fence you use it. trial and error?

I keep my stud in a pen with his weanlings. The broad fence is about 8 feet tall. The only problem I have is part of the fence is rails and the stud backs up to it to let the cavles chew on his tail.

Latest posts