• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Best Laid Plans

Help Support Ranchers.net:

gcreekrch

Reaction score
We were going to move a bunch of pairs back down to the Morrison Meadow place today but I think we will postpone until tommorow.

About two inches of snow on the ground and still coming down. :roll:

We received .55 inches of rain yesterday, .45 inches so far today!
It's wonderful. We'll take it!! (we have a leak in the roof that we
can't find. :cry: ) It's such a head scratcher, we cut a hole in the
wall and set a coffee can in it to catch the water and to try and
figure out where the heck it's coming from. Last fall we put
a hose on the roof and ran water and never got it to leak. But every
time we get a rain of any amount, we get water in the coffee can. :???:
We've had several look at it and no one can figure it out.
At least I have something in front of the wall, so we can't see
the hole!!!!!! :p

Faster horses said:

Is it a life size cardboard cutout of you in a two piece from that cruise you took here a while back with your lady friends?? What ever happened to those pictures anyway.... :???: :???: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :shock:

We didn't get anything yesterday but it just started coming down real nice. Sitting here this morning it's been getting darker outside instead of lighter.

Good Morning....looks like gonna be a nice day in the Texas Hill Country..

I just fed the herd of puppies and battled the ugly cricket things that are infesting my house and yard!! ughh nasty little beasts they are!

Spose to get 90 today!

gcreekrch good morning dave,you didn,t have to share the white stuff.we are getting a flurry this morning .we are in a holding pattern till it quits then will take the cow herd to range,an easy 2.5 mile jaunt.if all goes well. can be done in an hour.at least this stuff makes moisture which we need.

Faster horses said:
We received .55 inches of rain yesterday, .45 inches so far today!
It's wonderful. We'll take it!! (we have a leak in the roof that we
can't find. :cry: ) It's such a head scratcher, we cut a hole in the
wall and set a coffee can in it to catch the water and to try and
figure out where the heck it's coming from
. Last fall we put
a hose on the roof and ran water and never got it to leak. But every
time we get a rain of any amount, we get water in the coffee can. :???:
We've had several look at it and no one can figure it out.

How much water? Is their anyway it could be a condensation problem.

I used to work construction, we had one project that had a leak that just couldn't be found. It would produce several gallons just about every time it rained. We did the hose trick and even replace the roof sheeting and it still "leaked"......Then on day it "leaked" before it rained. Turned out an AC unit was positioned about 6 inches away from the roof sheeting and had a cold air duct blowing cold air on the roofing. I'm pretty sure you don't have an AC duct problem but the reverse sounds plausible also. Moist warm air exposed to something cold. Just something to consider.

Sometimes ya just have to rethink things......Had a mechanic out (again) yesterday because of a "leaking injector" on my recently overhauled tractor. He was out last week to do the same thing. After 4 hours messing with the injector he finally realized it was coming from a line leak. Just couldn't see it. Looked like it was leaking by the injector seal but it wasn't.

We had a light steady rain for most of yesterday, which also turned into snow overnight, about 2 inches or so that stuck. I'm pretty happy, it's the first moisture of the year, and Lord it is dry up here.
So I'm just going to hang out for a while now and listen to the snow sliding off my tin roof and sip some coffee. :D

Showers off and on yesterday-- just starting to rain here this morning...Weather boys are predicting off and on rain thru Monday...Sounds like quite a bit of the state is getting it- as I just talked to a fellow in Great Falls area that said it had been raining there all morning....

allen57, thanks for your input. I don't think it could be condensation
problem, but I will mention it. This thing doesn't leak, it pours in.
I've had half a coffee can of water in the can before! And wind-driven
rain seems to be worse.
We cut the hole between the studs and it seems to be on one side
more than the other. It's a real mystery. The roofers think its
coming in through the side of the window. So we'll water it with
a hose there just to see. The roof does a funny thing right above there,
but everyone that has looked at the roof says it was done right. :???:

two inches of snow here this morning and about a half inch of rain before that. The snow makes it really tough to go change my flood irrigation. That and the thirty degrees!

we ended up getting close to a foot trees broke off and falling everywhere. we were in dawson yesterday and there was agood 5 inches there . i think everybody got moisture now . i think we will get more than a bale an acre this year. :lol: hope everybodys calves make it.

peacecountry said:
we ended up getting close to a foot trees broke off and falling everywhere. we were in dawson yesterday and there was agood 5 inches there . i think everybody got moisture now . i think we will get more than a bale an acre this year. :lol: hope everybodys calves make it.

I was just talking to a friend over in Arras, and they said they got nearly a foot there too. We have'nt had near the moisture that folks around us have, but we'll take what we get.

It rained all night out here on the desert. Cloudy and cold today with a north breeze that makes it feel like late fall. Looks like more coming tomorrow too. This keeps up and I'll have to quit calling this desert a desert. :wink:

peacecountry said:

It's not nice to brag PC, :p we got 1 bale to 5 acres last year . :roll:

No snow here but it poured for about 10 hours and then a steady drizzle for 2 days, I think we got close to 4 inches. There is now some water in the dugouts. I may be able to keep all my cows and heifers this year.. :D

Had a couple guys not show up to look at the bulls because of the rain, I guess they aren't real cowboys.. :lol:

It is hard on the little ones ,the cold wet weather. I hope everyone's calves are safe and healthy too. Off to check on mine now that the rain has stopped and the sun is out, haven't seen it in 4 days. Forgot what it looked like.

FH, I woke up to rain drops on my head a 2 am the other night .The wind was pelting the rain through our west bedroom window sill. One more to fix on the list. I can't believe how baldly the house shrunk last year because of the drought.

well we got the cows moved to range only to find the neighbor had not done her spring fencing to keep our cows out of her lease so ad to do a quick patch.job and get her motivated diplomaticaly (not my strong point}managed to get some more fencing done on my own place.I am putting up a electric top wire betwwen my pb. pasture and yearling heifers on top of a good 4 strand barb wire. and then using a single poly braid to create a buffer between my pbs. and the outside range fence .where i had a bull escape from last year. the real plus is this should create some realy good late summer early fall pasture and get better utilization on the lower part and hopefully tromp out some aspen on this cutblock.

Latest posts