• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Best Tractor for small operation

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Judith

Reaction score
OK. It is time for my 9N to retire. ( I'm really tired of the non-hydraulic bucket.) She has been a good girl and the time has come to lay her to rest . ( I think I am developing a hernia trying to turn her around. And standing up to stop her his tough on the body as well) I would like to purchase something big enough to trench, haul around round bales, and to push dirt around. Thoughts on this one? I would like a "girly" easy to handle tractor this time around :)

If you're used to a 9N sized tractor, 135 MF is a step up. They had power steering, decent hydraulics and are very reliable, Perkins diesel as well.
Pretty hard to beat the PS on the old 20 series JD's. Maybe a 3020 is too big for you?(about 65 hp). 2130 JD's were pretty good.
Depends on how much you want to spend. A new utility type tractor would set you back,I'm thinking at least 30 grand. You should be able to find something used that will do what you want for between 5 and 10 K.
I spent my childhood on 8N Fords and I Know what you talkin 'bout!! :D

The best tractor for you would be a rented one or hire the bit of tractor work done that you need. Iron costs will kill you in a large or small outfit.

Northern Rancher said:
The best tractor for you would be a rented one or hire the bit of tractor work done that you need. Iron costs will kill you in a large or small outfit.

Here's where we differ as an old rancher told me once a Tractor is an asset not a liability.I use a loader nearly everyday sure won't go back to doing it the armstrong way.Hell I'd get rid of the Rodeo stock and buy a tractor LOTS SAFER...

Well I winter at least 500 head and I haven't owned one for several years so there ya go. More guys killed by tractors every year than bucking bulls too-that's a fact. I like my deer with four legs and horns lol.

Well I winter at least 500 head and I haven't owned one for several years so there ya go. More guys killed by tractors every year than bucking bulls too-that's a fact. I like my deer with four legs and horns lol.

This is going to sound pretty dense but I had no idea you could rent them. But maybe things are a bit different in your neck o the woods. I even found a website that has cattle panels for lease! Imagine that. You are correct though Northern , There have been some near misses with ole gerty. She has tried to kill me on several occasions. Think Christine and you will get my drift :) Brakes suddenly un locking, bucket dropping for no reason... Is she alive or isnt she...Plays the theme song to the outer limits.....

Northern Rancher said:

I used to feed 30 cows with a pitch fork no thanks and as far as the Deere's or Deer either one cost to much. a used Russian tractor works fine here.If you feed with a balebed on a truck thats still equipment.

Thus far in my life I have the neighbor load them in the pick-up and I pull into the field and tie a rope to a tree. I stomp on the gas and the bale pops off. Then I proceed to push the bale out with the bucket of the tractor. While this is not conventional it works :) The ponies end up fed so I think things are OK.

We feed nothing but round bales-we 'bale graze' the main cow herd-when we get our feed hauled in we place it in several fields trhan just open gates to let cows into it all winter-it costs me $1 a bal;e to get semitrailers unloaded. The yard cattle 150 or so we just hire a neighbor to come fill feeders. I have a big team of Belgians and an old hydradeck to use in emergencies. The kind of tractor you need to safely handle round bales is just not a wise investment for the amount I'd use it-the neighbor is more than happy to get some custom work to help with his fixed costs. I'm sure you could get a dealer to rent you a tractor to use or find a neighbor to hire-round bales and old tractors are a bad recipe.

The neighbor idea sound pretty smart. I'm not as spry as I once was. Dodging the bucket of a runaway tractor is best left to the young bucks. :shock: I get out my suicidal issues doing sales prep for the TB sales. Just about lost a limb this morning putting a halter on a filly, (she a been haltered a zillion times)Dumped me right on my keister. If the worst I got out of the deal was a sore bum I think I did OK. Needless to say when I got the feeling back in my legs we had a behind the barn chat about acting like a d..k Northern you really think it's the tractor that's going to kill me LOL!

Well it just makes more sense dollars and cents wise-nothing worse than trying to feed stock with wornout old junk that's not safe or reliable.

Northern Rancher said:
Well it just makes more sense dollars and cents wise-nothing worse than trying to feed stock with wornout old junk that's not safe or reliable.

Don't buy some Fancy New Quad Cab truck to run the roads with now thats a real money maker there. :wink:

I got to thinking about pasture feeding round bales there is enough waste that way you could save money on wasted feed and pay for a tractor plus fuel.I paid $15,000 for my loader tractor 8 years ago the payments were $250 a month.

If you would maintain a tractor it would be safe and reliable.

Sounds more to me like you don't have time to work as it would interfer with you playing.

You can get an old JD 2020 with a 143 loader that will move hay. I got mine for $4000 and have run it for 10 years feeding hay all winter and raking hay in the summer.
A 3020 with a loader would be a much safer tractor to move hay with though and there are a lot of them still out there running so you can get parts from JD.

alabama said:
You can get an old JD 2020 with a 143 loader that will move hay. I got mine for $4000 and have run it for 10 years feeding hay all winter and raking hay in the summer.
A 3020 with a loader would be a much safer tractor to move hay with though and there are a lot of them still out there running so you can get parts from JD.

Winter in Alabama is a little different then up north.

Latest posts