• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Best Wrecks

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
Yesterday afternoon i had a nice little wreck with a cow that had just calved. She is always a little snorty so i had my sortin' stick with me when i went to check her and her new baby. She blew some snot and got a tap on the nose for her trouble. I got her calf up and saw he was hunky dory and thought the worst was over. About the second step i took away from her she decided to make a point and didnt stop when the stick thumped her. I bounced a little and came up swingin'! She stepped on me a couple times and knocked some hide of my ankle but I came out ahead on two out'a three judges cards! She will not winter around here again! I was just wonderin' if you guys have any storys where nobodys dies but maybe ya got some dents and dings in your fenders? Humor is good too! And if it happened to somebody else, that will work too. I need a "Peachblossom special shark tank"!!!!! :wink: :lol: :lol:

A few days ago a newborn calf had managed to get under then fence into the tree row. The little cowboy on the place told the men to stay back he would get the calf out. He walked over hit his chinks, the calf jumped up took him, with the little cowboy screaming out. Everyone around has heard this story and tonight one of the neighbors called tonight to say they had heard he'd had a wreck. The little one told the story and said, "It scared the hell out of me." I could hear the neighbors laughter and his "I bet it did." :lol:

Two years ago in the fall right before weaning we were keeping a pretty close eye on the calves for pneumonia. One of the places we were running cattle was pretty rugged so it was fairly easy for the calves to get away from me on my 4-wheeler. Not being a proper cowboy, I couldn't rope a cold to save my life, my options were pretty limited.

The calf I needed to treat was sick enough his head was hanging and he was breathing hard, but he wasn't about to go easy on me. He was at the sick stage where they get real aggressive. I followed him all over the country for a couple of hours before I finally got him into what passed for corrals.

The place was pretty well falling down and the corral was little more than kindling. The gates had been shut all summer though, so the the weeds were about shoulder high on me. My dad was with me and we were trying to gently work him into a runway so I could give him the needed antibiotics. I was down in the middle of the pen with weeds all around me when he turned and looked at me. I knew right then that I was in for it. There was no way I could make it to the fence before he got to me. I remember thinking: "Oh crap!! This is gonna hurt!" He went right through me, bounced off a couple of panels, knocked them over and out he went. Other than a few bruises I was fine, but I was sore for a few days.

We eventually got him roped and dallied to a tree, but even then I still had a hard time getting the dummy thrown and treated. Since then, thanks to someone on this forum I learned to use the trick of tying off to the ATV and taping the rope to a sorting stick.

About 5 years ago I had 10 loads of 1400# steers going out one afternoon and as the second to last load was pulling away from the chute I saw a leg sticking through the floor of the nose deck. Had the driver back up and unload the tail , top deck and nose and as the last one came off I headed up in the truck to see why he had a leg out. As I started up the ramp the guys on the bottom didn't shut the gate and the one with the leg problem (who had his hump up and was on the prod) had spun around and was headed back up the chute behind me. They hollered that he was coming back , so I headed for the front of the top deck to swing the divider gate behind me. Well as I got onto the top deck I saw the driver close that gate with himself behind it. No problem, I'll jump to the right and when the steer gets onto the top deck I'll run down the ramp. Wrong answer. He stops with his ass pointed right at me (I'm in the corner by the doghouse door) He's looking through the side of the trailer at the guys outside and down the ramp at the guys down there with his head and ears going back and forth like a doe in the woods.Meanwhile I'm in the corner not moving or making a sound for fear he will kick the hell out of me. Finally the sound of the guys down the ramp get his attention and he spins around and heads to go down the ramp but stops with his feet right at the edge of the ramp. He leans ahead to step down and backs up to look at me, leans ahead to step down again and looks at me and decides to take me. I'm locked in the corner with no place to go and all I can think of is man this is going to hurt. He hit me twice and bounced me into the corner then he hit me and swept his head up with his nose under my ribs and my head between the top of his head and the roof of the trailer. Knocked me cold as a stone. They said when I hit the floor he left me alone and went down the ramp. Blackened both eyes, bloodied my nose and dislocated my jaw and when that truck arrived at Dakota City they said that steer had a broken leg and they tanked him, but if I have learned anything in the last nearly 60 years it is things could always be worse , so be glad for what you have.

Whitetop said:
About 5 years ago I had 10 loads of 1400# steers going out one afternoon and as the second to last load was pulling away from the chute I saw a leg sticking through the floor of the nose deck. Had the driver back up and unload the tail , top deck and nose and as the last one came off I headed up in the truck to see why he had a leg out. As I started up the ramp the guys on the bottom didn't shut the gate and the one with the leg problem (who had his hump up and was on the prod) had spun around and was headed back up the chute behind me. They hollered that he was coming back , so I headed for the front of the top deck to swing the divider gate behind me. Well as I got onto the top deck I saw the driver close that gate with himself behind it. No problem, I'll jump to the right and when the steer gets onto the top deck I'll run down the ramp. Wrong answer. He stops with his ass pointed right at me (I'm in the corner by the doghouse door) He's looking through the side of the trailer at the guys outside and down the ramp at the guys down there with his head and ears going back and forth like a doe in the woods.Meanwhile I'm in the corner not moving or making a sound for fear he will kick the hell out of me. Finally the sound of the guys down the ramp get his attention and he spins around and heads to go down the ramp but stops with his feet right at the edge of the ramp. He leans ahead to step down and backs up to look at me, leans ahead to step down again and looks at me and decides to take me. I'm locked in the corner with no place to go and all I can think of is man this is going to hurt. He hit me twice and bounced me into the corner then he hit me and swept his head up with his nose under my ribs and my head between the top of his head and the roof of the trailer. Knocked me cold as a stone. They said when I hit the floor he left me alone and went down the ramp. Blackened both eyes, bloodied my nose and dislocated my jaw and when that truck arrived at Dakota City they said that steer had a broken leg and they tanked him, but if I have learned anything in the last nearly 60 years it is things could always be worse , so be glad for what you have.

:lol: :lol: Is that what they will put on your head stone.
" IT COULD HAVE BEEN WORSE"

Big Muddy rancher said:
Whitetop said:

Maybe. Hopefully not any time soon. Local joke around my freinds is I should write a book of all the weird crap that has happened to me over the years, some brought on by my always being in a rush and some just plain dumb luck

Whitetop said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Whitetop said:

Maybe. Hopefully not any time soon. Local joke around my freinds is I should write a book of all the weird crap that has happened to me over the years, some brought on by my always being in a rush and some just plain dumb luck

Yea I know I always do a wreck up right with pins and surgery involved. :oops:

Big Muddy rancher said:
Whitetop said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

Yea I know I always do a wreck up right with pins and surgery involved. :oops:
No pins or plates or screws but am on a first name basis with an Orthepedic Suregon sp in Sioux Falls SD. I think I helped him put an addition on his house, but my hand nearly works like original.

My grandfather is 93 yrs old and in fairly good health for the wrecks he has had through the yrs in the stories he tells us. Well I was visiting my grandparents one day and my grandfather is as always giving me complete and total hell and I had had somekind of wreck that my dad had told him about and he wanted my version. Well after I told him my version he said son you are just going to have to slow down and take your time, realize you can't get it all done in one day. He no more than got it out of his mouth than my grandmother said oh goodness look who's talking, and if anything he came by it honestly.

Last spring had a cow calve in the corral near one of the sheds. I went in to see what she had. What I didn't know was my dog had slipped his collar and had followed me down there.
As I approched the cow she shook her head so I stepped back and she charged. Only thing I had was my hat and sunglasses. :oops:
So here I am hitting her across the nose with my hat, she's bellowing, dogs barking and I'm yelling for my husband to get his a** down here.
Made it to the fence and climbed on top. Yelled at the dog to shut up and get home, cows blowing snot at both of us and here comes the husband to get the cow in. Cow takes him on and he hits her with a fence post. I drag the dog home and threaten to skin him if he ever bugs the bred cows again.
Husband returns and threatens the dog too and returns my hat and sunglasses that the cow was standing over when I made it to the top plank on the fence.

Several years ago before handheld GPS my dad and I were trying to determine the centre line of a section of land. We decided to go across the river to the neighbors who had a fence on the half mile mark but that side was the high side so it couldn't be seen from our side. We drove around and walked back toward the river. Dad wanted to get a bit higher so he climbed and straddled that good 5 barbed wire fence. When he got in good position he discovered rather uncomfortably that every other wire was hot and grounded. About 3 seconds between ZAPS. There he was straddled in the middle. It took a few hits before I stopped laughing long enough to pull him off. He still doesn't see the humor. It must have been like riding an electric eel.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D :D That'll wake you up!

I just had the one big wreck, and I've told you all the story before so I won't repeat it. I did however learn several important things that day.

1. Watch your back. Just because a cow is in the next pen over, if the gate is open she can still come hunt you down. :shock:
2. Don't carry your whole year's calving records in your hand when you get thumped. You may never find them again. As the computer guys all say, Make a Backup.
3. Yes, you can run through a four strand barbed wire fence at full speed without tearing anything. 8)
4. If she's got you down on the ground, and there's no one there to help you, swallow your pride and scream like a girl. Right in her ear. It really works! Follow up with a good double fistful of manure to the face, and run right on through that barbed wire fence.

You've got lots of time to swear and throw rocks at her once you're outside the pen. :D :D :D :D

Last summer we were doctoring cows after we let up a cow she was on the fight.Me being me decided to tease her a bit so I ride in with the horse she'd charge and he'd spin away.There was a row of T-Posts that were about pecker high on a big horse anyhow he spun around to get away from this cow and straddled the post.I don't think Billy Etbaur could have rode him let alone me.I landed head first into the ground.I rolled to my feet and Rex said you better run as the cow was still on the hunt.Looking back I should have just left her alone but then what fun would that have been.

Last spring I was calving out heifers and one needed some help. I get to work pulling the calf, got the puller on and everything (I have one of those y-shaped pullers that pushes against the cow's butt). The heifer starts to go down on me but her head is still caught in the headgate. She won't get up so I release the headgate, not really thinking of what she'll do once she gets up. She decided to stand all right, and then proceeded to turn around and run out of the calving pen and all over the barn...with the puller still attached to the calf! So she's running all over the barn, swinging that calf puller all over the place, almost got me with it a couple times when she spun around. It finally fell off and I got her back in the headgate. Calf turned out fine but now I ALWAYS take the puller off before letting the headgate loose.

got some inspiration from this thread,figured I'd jot it down.Hope you enjoy it.

-on wrecks-

i've never had a cow wreck
tho i've seen the odd close call
Lord knows i'm mighty cautious
when i hear a wild one bawl

i just don't get into the spots
where i risk life or limb
cuzz when its down to him er me
the odds are all on him

if slingin snot and stompin me
is what they got wrote down
i just load em in the trailer
and drive em into town

cuzz i ain't near as catty
as i was when I was young
and i'd haveta give up smokin
were i runnin on one lung

now i just keep the quiet ones
it's what makes or breaks their stay
cuzz i like to walk amongst em
when i'm rollin out their hay

i tame em up or ship em out
the choice is theirs you know
i prefer to do things gentle
and i run a quiet show

Hell the last two bulls that i kept on
are the next best thing to tame
but when i'm inside the fence is near
and climbings in my game

now horses they're another thing
most ranchin folks do tell
that they can change a training session
to the doctors for a spell

i bin kicked bit and trampled
from day one until now
and stood abuse i'd never take
were it comin from a cow

i bin atop some wicked ones
where it was plain to see
they wouldn't spare no lather
when theys gettin shut of me

i've got a leg that don't quite match
the one on the other side
and an elbow that don't bow the same
as it did before the ride

i bin dragged dumped an i been flung
bin down and got up slow
had bruises stacked atop themselves
an some leakers dontcha know

so to yer question about wrecks
me i ain't had a one
cuzz my cows are mighty gentle
and them horses are my fun

-CM-

This happened a few years ago but around midnight on a cold below zero march night I was walking thru the cows and saw a cow I thought I'd better get in .the snow was probably 4 feet deep except for the feed grounds and sleigh trails.> my bride was with me and we tried to push the cow up the feed ground thru the gate into the corral. Well after an hour we catch a horse and chase 30 head into the corral and finally get the cow into the barn. The next morning I go and let her out and as she goes out the gate I grab the calf and gee it hasn't sucked. Well this time it took 2 horses and about a 100 cows to get her back into the corral. Get her in the squeezes chute and suckle the calf. Turn her out and she goes to the bottom of the pasture down into the creek and her and her calf walk up the creek a half mile.
That afternoon when we were feeding with the team we worked pairs down thru a gate at the bottom of the pasture by the creek. I walk on top the hard crusted snow with a pitch fork and work the cow and calf back toward the gate. She gets to the crossing and goes up and I grab the calf and work it toward the gate. My brother runs up in front of her by running on top of the snow and gets her turned. I hold the calf down by the gate in a deep shitty puddle of water on top of the packed ice. .The cow comes to her calf full speed goes over it and lands on top of me. She gets up and her and the calf run on down to the pairs.
My shoulder is dislocated and it 3 miles on t rough spring sleigh road. My wife hauls me to the hospital in my wet shitty clothes. The x-ray Tec tells me to sit in the hard chairs. They had to knock me out two people held me with a sheet and the Doctor and a male nurse pulled my arm back into place.

Latest posts