• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Best Wrecks

Help Support Ranchers.net:

that is a really good "rhyme" you got going on there CM, for a moment I almost thought it sounded like poetry :roll: :roll: You raise a good question, why do so many people tolerate jug headed horses and horses that are just bad but they will not put up with anything from their cows?

How true. I guess a bad horse is a challenge. Not too many bad cows can be rehabilitated like horses can. In fact I've never even seen one that got good. :shock:

But since we're talking about wrecks, I bet between us we could come up with a horse related injury list that would really impress. 8) :D :D :D :D

I'll start.

Broken arm, dislocated shoulder, a couple of cracked ribs, and a scar above one eye where my horse and I bumped heads and the lens popped out of my glasses. :roll: :roll: :roll:

This happened a good while ago when I was in college I went home with John one weekend. His family ran a feedyard. Shortly after we had arrived at John's late on Sat. afternoon John's dad said there was a sick steer in pen 8 would we doctor him. Not wanting to spend more time at this that we had to ( we had other plans) we jumped in a pickup and drove up to pen 8. Sure enough easy to spot was a sorry okie steer weighing about 700 lbs with his head between his front legs and his tounge in the dirt. John said, I think we can doctor him here rather than going back to get a couple horses and driving him up to the work pens. We grab a couple ropes and ease up to him. He looked like we could walk up to him and give him a shot ( but you know better don't you). The first loop found it's mark and all hell broke loose. It was hard to believe a sorry critter as sick as he was could drag two of us through all the stuff you find in a feedlot pen. After what seemed like a long time the steer is finally running out of air and me and John are running out of hide and air. All three of us are looking like sorry okie steers with our tongues in the dirt . We catch a few gulps of air and John says lets try to snub him to that post over there by the water tank. WE finally get him close enough I can make a couple dallies around the post and JOhn said just hold him there while I get the syringe. We finally get him to within about 10 feet of the post and John said that's good enough. When he stuck him that steer jumped and knocked John into the water tank and the steer fell into the tank on top of him. It was all I could do to drag the steer off JOhn before he drowned. That's as dirty and skinned up as I have ever been and probably as close to drowning as John has ever been. Needless to say we didn't make it to the dance that night.

I guess this one doesn't qualify as a wreck, although the one chap in the story thought it was gonna end up that way. A few of us were sitting around tonight swapping tales and I told the guys, mostly hunters, about gcrkrch killing a cougar with a binder roller. Pretty danged impressive, they said. One guy said "Although I guess when you've started into that fight, you couldn't really back out, could you!"

But anyway, Tim tells us about the time he had a problem with an over-population of skunks. Every chance he got he would pop one off, day or night. He hears a ruckus outside their bedroom window about 11:00 o'clock and looks out to see a skunk in the semi-moonlight.

He can't find his .22 handy so he grabs the 12 gauge and a flashlight and heads out to send one more striped kitty pushing daisies. In his underwear and slippers, no more, no less. Skunk has a head start out across the field, so Tim is striding along to catch up.

Well, his neighbor is out in that same field tending a sick calf, trying to get a bit of milk into it. He sees the outline of an almost naked Tim toting his 12 gauge and flashlight muttering away to himself. In the almost dark.

Skunk heads right for the calf-doctoring fella. Poor guy doesn't see the skunk, only Tim and the gun and light. He starts to crap himself thinking that Tim sees him and takes him for a calf rustler. "I'm gonna get shot", he figures. He hits the dirt, knocking his pail of milk over in his hurry to get down.

Tim lets fly at the skunk, still not seeing the other guy, big BOOM, in the night it's ten times louder. Absolutely scares the livin' crap out of the calf guy. He looks up a minute later when he hears Tim muttering away to himself "One less skunk around here" or something like that while he's walking back to the house. He realizes that Tim never even saw him at all. He tells Tim about it a few days later and they bust laughing about it.

No major wreck, just a pair of shorts needing to be washed out, one dead skunk and Tim's wounded pride, being caught out shooting skunks in his underpants. And a pail of spilt milk.

efb said:
This happened a good while ago when I was in college I went home with John one weekend. His family ran a feedyard. Shortly after we had arrived at John's late on Sat. afternoon John's dad said there was a sick steer in pen 8 would we doctor him. Not wanting to spend more time at this that we had to ( we had other plans) we jumped in a pickup and drove up to pen 8. Sure enough easy to spot was a sorry okie steer weighing about 700 lbs with his head between his front legs and his tounge in the dirt. John said, I think we can doctor him here rather than going back to get a couple horses and driving him up to the work pens. We grab a couple ropes and ease up to him. He looked like we could walk up to him and give him a shot ( but you know better don't you). The first loop found it's mark and all hell broke loose. It was hard to believe a sorry critter as sick as he was could drag two of us through all the stuff you find in a feedlot pen. After what seemed like a long time the steer is finally running out of air and me and John are running out of hide and air. All three of us are looking like sorry okie steers with our tongues in the dirt . We catch a few gulps of air and John says lets try to snub him to that post over there by the water tank. WE finally get him close enough I can make a couple dallies around the post and JOhn said just hold him there while I get the syringe. We finally get him to within about 10 feet of the post and John said that's good enough. When he stuck him that steer jumped and knocked John into the water tank and the steer fell into the tank on top of him. It was all I could do to drag the steer off JOhn before he drowned. That's as dirty and skinned up as I have ever been and probably as close to drowning as John has ever been. Needless to say we didn't make it to the dance that night.

This one and the one on the first page about the electric fence made me laugh my a** off, and as I was I began to recollect and laugh some more about all the things that have happened to me and my friends. It is always funny as hell when someone gets hurt to me.

I recall one winter calving job I had, we roped a cow to a tree so that we could put her prolapse placenta back in. We had snubbed her tight and low. We got our job done and loosened the rope a bit so as to get it off, and immediately she was on the fight. So we snubbed her back up, my friend trying several times to get the rope off as we tried to loosen it. I finally said I'll get the rope of her head you work the rope at the tree. Sure enough I got it off first try and she let me have it. Knocked me square in the face vaulting me back about 10 yards, I grabbed my mouth and a dislocated front tooth, immediately seeing the tooth I jammed it back in its spot with all kinds of dirt and other fluids. I held it there with wax for a month not even seeing a dentist till it finally held on its own, it grayed and several years later, finally making it to the dentist had it checked out and the tooth is dead ( performed its own so called root canal). Anyways we laugh and laugh at all kinds of wrecks we have had, just as I have laughed and laughed at all of yours.

Thanks

Jason in Idaho

But since we're talking about wrecks, I bet between us we could come up with a horse related injury list that would really impress.

..there aren't enuff pages :shock: :wink: (personally speakin, that is..........)

my wreck, lets see it was about 10 yrs ago, i was riding a horse for a freind of mine and his horse was nammed slip, well i was asked if i could bring some bulls in to some pens for a freind of his , well i said sure me and ol slip can do it. so i saddle slip up and take off across the pasture to get the bulls, they all come in just fine, before slip and i get to the pens there was a small draw we had to cross, it had rained previously , and it was tracked up and it had dried hard( good missouri clay), anyways we head down the draw and come out of it the bulls are allready in the pen, as we come out of the draw , slip lives up to his name , he SLIPS, all i remember was we rolled one or two times , i was pinned under him and i had a foot stuck in a stirrup, i reach up and grabbed the reins as far as i could trying to keep him down, my palms were sweaty and the reins slipped through my hands, i was feeling for my knife so i could cut my saddle off just in case this was to happen, ( i didnt think being dragged would feel to good), well i cant get to my knife and slip gets up , i closed my eyes because i didnt want to see what i was in for , i felt slip move and take another step , my foot falls out, whewwwwwwwwww.well i get up and fall down look at my leg and say a few words , i have a huge knot the size of a grapefruit on the inside of my leg on my thigh ,i catch slip look at him he is ok , manage to get on him , pen the bulls up, the owner shows up as im unsaddleing my horse, and tell him they are in. i get home turn slip out , go to my room and look at my leg i need to go to the ER, so i take jeans off , need to put some boxers on , (them hospital gowns dont cover much) i go there they xray me i have a deep tissue bruise nothing is broke, next day my entire thigh is every color there is ,only place that aint bruised is where the inseam was on my jeans , i could barely walk for 3 days.i told butch he owned the horse i just wish that slip didnt have to prove his namesake to me , we both laughed about it and still do when we see each other.

i can't compete with "worst" wreck of all, but i've had a couple that counted in my OWN mind!!

one, helpin' a guy load stockers out of a pen made of 8 strands of barbed-wire about 6" apart, had a heifer decide she was NOT going on the truck, blew past me, THRU that B-wire, and on the way by kicked me in both kneecaps. couldn't believe it--the wire was tight, and i don't think the B, oops, Witch even got cut. she did go to town 2 wks later without much help fr me as i was still lame.

then, had a colt blow up, knock me down and land a forefoot on my shin. thought it was just bruised pretty bad, but 10 d later the OH browbeat me into going to the dr. went, x-rayed, fractured. doc said he could cast me fr foot to thigh, i said "pass" (it was my go-peddle foot), went back to work, and a good friend told me "Ann, all i'm gonna say is there's a difference between tough and stupid" :oops: :oops:

i could go on, but suffice it to say that 99.9% of the time i've gotten hurt working w/animals, it was my own arrogance/stupidity that got me hurt. the older i get, the humbler i get :)

Latest posts