• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Big Muddy Rancher

Help Support Ranchers.net:

3words

Reaction score
Was it you that was looking for a well broke pony for your grand kids?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-livestock/saskatoon/little-kids-horse-pony/1041431011?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

3words said:
Was it you that was looking for a well broke pony for your grand kids?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-livestock/saskatoon/little-kids-horse-pony/1041431011?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Wasn't me. :D

That's a pretty good looking pony. :D

Wonder why they are selling?

Doesn't look like the dog has out grown it yet. :lol: :lol:

If your looking to start a kid riding is a "pony rode by 7 to 11yr old" a good first horse?
IMHO 7 to 11yr olds don't instill good habits in naturally sour little ponies.
Maybe I'm a sour old Bstard and just don't remember anything good about ponies?

Phoned a fellow from Goodsoil on his ads in summer, comment was, "which one, sold eleven last week." He writes a good story on each horse, think he runs a horse rescue program!

CA

Ponies are an important part of building your childs character!
:D
I have to believe that is why my parents started me on the rotten little sob's :shock:

Our kids have been hounding us for a horse for quite a while. I have held off about as long as I have the heart for. They now are telling us they will take all their gift money they have saved forever and pay for it theirselves. :lol: I know nothing about horses so what should a person get for the kids? Oldest kid is 9.

Getting a pony for kids = child abuse.....just kidding!
Many, many years ago I spent a summer working for a dude outfit & we had a 4 ponies in the string. Boy, I got to dislike ponies that summer! When the grandkids are old enough to ride & they`re getting close, I`ll get them a "broke to death, bombproof" horse.

3 M L & C said:
Our kids have been hounding us for a horse for quite a while. I have held off about as long as I have the heart for. They now are telling us they will take all their gift money they have saved forever and pay for it theirselves. :lol: I know nothing about horses so what should a person get for the kids? Oldest kid is 9.

Get an older 'been there, done that' BABYSITTER for a first horse. Let the
kids get their confidence up so they are ready for the second horse they get. For safety sake, buying a kids horse goes in steps. First horse, (babysitter), second horse (little more life) and then when they
have mastered the second horse, they are ready to go on. I would tell you to get a gelding, simply because mares tend to kick other horses and if a kid was on another horse, there is a chance of someone/something getting hurt. I know there are exceptions to everything, but I used to produce a Jr. Horse Show and we had to have ribbons tied on some of the mares tails so that other kids would know not to ride up behind that particular horse, because they might get kicked.

If your son is 9, I think he is old enough to join 4-H. That's an excellent place for a beginner to learn; not just about riding, but also about care of horses. Horses aren't cheap and the better you take care of them, the longer they last. Horses need vaccines, dental work, plenty of feed and hay with no dust, etc. An older horse will last a long time as long as
one pays attention to nutrition and soundness.

Good luck!

IMO--Do not buy a pony! :D

I bought one for our daughter once. This was one nice pony....she rode it with the girl who had it for sale. They rode together. This pony had been in parades, and had been lots of places. It moved out well and seemed very willing. I thought it was fine....til we got it home and without the other horse, that pony would do nothing. Would put his head down to eat and I don't care how hard she pulled, she could not pull his head up. She kicked, she spanked, she cried; nothing worked. Luckily some people down the road had a lot of kids that rode a lot of ponies (with no mercy) and they bought the pony from us. Their ponies were more or less abused,
but they could ride them and get something done. I don't think some were
ever unsaddled. One got out on the highway and got hit by a car in the night and it was saddled!!!! That pony is one of the reasons my husband says that ponies teach kids to be mean to a horse....

I totally agree with FH. In fact, I just sold my 9 yr old daughters pony. It was a hateful thing like most ponies, and I regret having got it for her in the first place. We are now figuring out what to do for a new mount for her. I would like a shorter horse (14'2 or so) that she would be able to saddle sooner rather than later.
At any rate, having this little devil around brought back way too many memories from my early childhood, and I don't want to destroy any ambitions she may have with regards to riding as I believe horsemanship is a valuable skill.
Get you kids a good quiet horse, it will teach them tons.

My 10 year old grand daughter has been riding HARD for the last 4 years. We started her out on a gelding I had been riding. 2 years ago, she got where she could unsaddle him on her own, Last year she totally got her horse ready, then put him up by herself!! She is a tall girl, but she could saddle my 15 hand horse no problem. Her biggest issue was getting the headstall on.
If they have the desire to ride, they will figure out how to get it done.

rancher rick said:
Getting a pony for kids = child abuse.....just kidding!
Many, many years ago I spent a summer working for a dude outfit & we had a 4 ponies in the string. Boy, I got to dislike ponies that summer! When the grandkids are old enough to ride & they`re getting close, I`ll get them a "broke to death, bombproof" horse.

You mentioned the first place I'd look--an outfitter. These guys start summer trips in june, hunt till after thanksgiving. Got some really good ol' horses that they don't want to can, but getting too old for the workout with some big 'ol dude, but will last yrs in retirement with a kid that loves 'em.

Our boys started on a wonderful Welsh pony their uncle had ridden, and also rode some reliable quarter horses my husband rode, but they about always rode 'working', helping the rest of the crew move cattle, etc.

less chance of accidents if there are other adults and it is a working situation, within the kids capabilities/endurance. Granted, they had some corral time with adult supervision, short rides, and got eased into the riding, with proper equipment and supervision.

The kids I grew up with, on the other hand, were pretty much turned loose on OLD quarter horses ridden bareback so the worst most likely to happen was getting dumped off and left however far from the house we happened to be. We also had some of the type mentioned with disfavor.....Shetland and even Welsh crossed with quarter horses. Some were pests and pretty mean, but think they eventually were useful....but that was after I was married and didn't have to deal with them.

Good horses are made with good training and proper work to do, no matter what the breed, aren't they????

Latest posts