• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Big weekend

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Nicky

Reaction score
What's everyone doing for Memorial Day weekend?
We have the couple from Seattle area that own the rangeground we lease coming. And hubby's longtime friend with his new girlfriend.
Our neighbors have a place in the mountains they call "camp", used to have alot of parties up there. Two years ago they had their 50th anniversary party there, haven't had anything since. So we started the idea of a party :D We used to take the neighbor and family out to dinner when he bought bulls from us, so this is takeing the place of that. Our friends from Seattle are bringing fresh oysters (yuk), we'll do salmon, and shish ke bobs on the barbacue, and the rest is potluck. Oh, and dont forget the keg :D :!: The neighbors replacement heifers will probably come too, as that's in their pasture. Should be fun, everyone have a great weekend :!:

the hubby sprayed about half an acre for my "garden" this year and we will be getting that ready for planting this weekend....hopefully we have seen the last of the frost for the season (yeah....right :roll: )...anyway, got my seeds for the corn, carrots, yukon gold potatoes (mmmmmm), peas, beans and about 100 strawberry plants!! Then, gonna have a barbecue tomorrow night and the hubby heads to powell wyoming on sunday for his daughter's high school graduation while i head to deer lodge for their high school graduation.....gotta love them road trips!! :wink:

Jinglebob said:
I'm goin' to Medora to see friends and listen to songs and poetry. Might even have a wee nip! :lol:

Okay...i gotta ask....how "wee" is that nip gonna be, Jinglebob?? :wink:

I'm on days off over this weekend from my off farm nursing job. Went to Beef Week festivities at a town about an hour and half to our east today. Cattle tie up day tomorrow,check the heifers and the rest of the cattle around our properties.
Helen my wife is on night duty over the weekend,I've just finished 5 nights. Don't like it much this time of the year when our days are so short.
Down to minus 5C here this morning got to a top of 14 C. Big frost,pleased I drained the water out of the pump down by the creek. Froze one last year when it got down to minus 13C.

Colin & Helen

Nicky said:
What's everyone doing for Memorial Day weekend?
We have the couple from Seattle area that own the rangeground we lease coming. And hubby's longtime friend with his new girlfriend.
Our neighbors have a place in the mountains they call "camp", used to have alot of parties up there. Two years ago they had their 50th anniversary party there, haven't had anything since. So we started the idea of a party :D We used to take the neighbor and family out to dinner when he bought bulls from us, so this is takeing the place of that. Our friends from Seattle are bringing fresh oysters (yuk), we'll do salmon, and shish ke bobs on the barbacue, and the rest is potluck. Oh, and dont forget the keg :D :!: The neighbors replacement heifers will probably come too, as that's in their pasture. Should be fun, everyone have a great weekend :!:

Good Feed!!!!!!!!!!!! Good Fun!!!!!!!!!!!

We have friends coming for a BBQ, African Beans, deviled eggs and rhubarb pie with ice cream. The backyard looks the prettiest this time of year before the heat hits- all shades of blues, pink, purples and lush light green. We can hardly stay inside! So we might play a game of Croquet for Blood- if we can bend over after eating. And hopefully we'll stop to remember all those men and women who gave up so many precious years and even their lives to give us the freedoms we enjoy today.

Ranchwife- about your vegie garden. I tried taking the flexible curved rods that hold up our tent and arched them over the rows of beans and covered the supports with a clear plastic tarp with holes punched in to let some of the heat out. It really helped warm up the soil and get things growing fast. The difference was so impressive the plan is to get one of the grower tunnels the professionals use for next season that has heavier plastic afixed to supports. Not sure how well they hold up in areas with heavy winds.

ranchwife said:
Jinglebob said:
I'm goin' to Medora to see friends and listen to songs and poetry. Might even have a wee nip! :lol:

Okay...i gotta ask....how "wee" is that nip gonna be, Jinglebob?? :wink:

Acctually, it turned into several wee nips! :lol:

Saw and visited with a lot of friends and had a grand time, tho' the sleep i lost may take a few weeks to get back! But it was damn sure worth it! :lol:

jinglebob--it's not even Memorial Day yet!!!!!!!!! what are you gonna do tomorrow :wink:

nr--what are African Beans?? it sounds really interesting-would you post the recipe? and what kind of rhubarb pie? i make a rhubarb custard pie every year that is out of this world (IF the custard sets right... :D ). but it's great no matter what...

we're grilling rib-eyes, corn, maybe potato salad, trying a strawberry-spinach salad (we try to do something new each year), having melon salad and, guess what??: rhubard custard pie!!

also finishing a gate in the barn, doing laundry, replacing inside barn wire panels with some good old lumber. gotta get ready for the cattle to come home tuesday. Cait's heifer from last year calved last thursday with a black, stocking-legged bull calf. this is out of a solid black heifer, sired by a pure-bred black limmy bull. go figure....i'll have to check back to see what the heifer's dam was--they're all crossbred (WAY crossbred :) ).

i better get done. c ya. have a great weekend (or Monday, should i say?)

nr---got me some rhubarb growing and am sooooo excited!!! :D great idea about the poles...will certainly give it a try!!

took a 4 hour trip to powell, wyoming to watch hubby's oldest graduate from high school!!! then, on the way home, got hit by a gully washer from big timber to livingston....not much fun to drive in that kind of weather :shock:

think i might have driven through your neck of the woods, Hanta!! hubby pointed out "the bull mountains"....wow!! awful pretty area!!

What am I doing for memorial day????????

Why I am going to a branding to remember the memory of all the good hands who helped to brand cattle for the past 5 or 6 thousand years or so! :shock:

What could be better? :lol:

To Chuckie: African Beans and Rhubarb pie (probably same as your custard pie)
African Beans (crock pot full ( 6-8 hrs) or do in 300 oven 3 hrs)
4 lbs of drained canned kidney beans
2 chop onions
2 sweet green peppers
3 tomatoes chopped or canned
1 sml bottle ketchup
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 to 1/2 cup red wine
8 strips bacon (put half of these on bottom of pan, half on top of mixture)

Rhubarb-orange pie: 2 eggs, 1 3/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup flour, 1/2 tsp mace or nutmeg 1/4 cup OJ 4 cups cut up rhubarb (1 1/2 lbs)
425 oven for about 50 min.
I just found our first strawberries ripe (all 5 of them) so those will go in to redden it up a tad. I'm going to add a little extra flour since our wet spring is probably why the pie was too runny last time from super-hydrated rhubarb stalks. Least that's my guess :roll:

nr---that recipe for your african beans reminds me of one a friend recently gave me for "Cowboy Chili"---baked beans, butter beans, kidney beans, bacon, hamburger, onion, liquid smoke, salt and pepper to taste!! Mmmmmmm!!! that's it.....where's the big crockpot?? I got me some cookin to do before i go off to work tonight! :wink:
To ALL!....have a super safe memorial day!! if you are on the road at all today (like my 16 year old), may your guardian angel be traveling with you!!

ranchwife said:
nr---got me some rhubarb growing and am sooooo excited!!! :D great idea about the poles...will certainly give it a try!!

took a 4 hour trip to powell, wyoming to watch hubby's oldest graduate from high school!!! then, on the way home, got hit by a gully washer from big timber to livingston....not much fun to drive in that kind of weather :shock:

think i might have driven through your neck of the woods, Hanta!! hubby pointed out "the bull mountains"....wow!! awful pretty area!!

Have to come see us sometime. I used to own some property outside of Ennis. Your area is awesome.

Latest posts