• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bigger better faster national champion angus

Help Support Ranchers.net:

redrobin said:
lazy ace said:
redrobin said:
No snow in Gods country today Lazy Ace. How about up in cows country? :lol:

Picking up a little snow all the time. darn stuff is starting to add up.

Just got back from the airport picking up my wife. Get this it was raining part of the way home.

lazy ace
Airport? With all the men wearing home made haircuts I'd say there isn't a barber for a hundred miles. How far to the airport? :lol:

.... coming from me who has a home made haircut... what's left to cut. :lol:

120 miles to be exact. I texted her to look for the Norweigian fellow with half a beard. that narrowed it down in Bismarck america :lol:

Denver and Agribition are like going to the zoo for most cowboys alot of big, exciting animals that you'll never see at home. I admit though that the show cattle of today probably are closer to a practical size than what was there in the 80's. I was only to Denver once but it was a fun deal-was supposed to go this year but couldn't make it-maybe next year I guess.

We are not show breeders at all, BUT, their is nothing wrong with using a bull that has some style to him. Yes, lots of them are not sound enough and some are ruined as they are way to fat, but some are not. We actually purchased a semen interest in one that I found in Denver last week. I didn't even know it until the deal was done, but he actually won the NILE this past fall, and it still isn't a big deal to me. He is the kind that we are trying to raise. HE is deep, thick, lonf and sound. WHile his dam is the kind I want as well. So the bottom line is, some work, and some don't. won't know if this guy will work until we have some progeny, but I feel pretty good about it now.

Just got home from a 48 hour whirlwind trip to Denver. I saw a few cattle. My thoughts are that there were some good ones, some not so good ones, some structurally correct, some flawed, some with appropriate EPD for us, some with not so appropriate and most cattle were very fleshy.
I think a good one or a poor one, a lot depends on the program you are buying from. Whether the program uses showing as a promo tool or not, the people behind the program are pretty important.
It was a good chance to see sons of bulls we have used in our commercial herd that are not widely used in Canada. I saw some cattle I liked, but I don't think I would AI a yearling unproven bull to 100 cows whether he was through the showring or not...
Personally I find shows somewhat challenging to sit through. Thankfully I picked up some reading material at the trade show.

Sure is nice to know it's winter and all the "naye-sayers" are paying attention to the winter shows and bull sales again!!! :clap:

Sales & Calendar | Angus Calendar | Sale Books | Archived Sale Books | Sale Reports
Nat'l Western Angus Bull Sale
Herd City: at Beef Palace Auction Arena, Denver, CO US Auctioneer: Jerry LehmannSale Date: 1/12/2011Sale Mgr: American Angus AssociationAPI Rep: David GazdaComments: The 2011 Foundation Heifer Package donated by Talon Ranch, Twin Bridges, MT purchased by Briarwood Angus Farms, Butler, MO for $50,000.
Lots Gross Average
27 Total Registered Bulls $186,750.00 $6,916.00 27 Total Registered Live Lots $186,750.00 $6,916.00
27 Reported Sale Total $186,750.00 $6,916.00
Top Bull
Lot 25 EXAR Pro V One 9962B 2/3 $25,000.00 Buyer: Olson Cattle Company Hereford TXSire Name: EXAR Titlelist T011

Seller: Nat'l Western Angus Bull Sale at Beef Palace Auction Arena, Denver COMore Info...

Reg. No.: 16421789
Birth Date: 7/11/2009
Sire Name: EXAR Titlelist T011
Due Date:
Lot 13 EXAR Combo 0503B 2/3 $16,500.00 Buyer: Stein Angus Haven Cherokee OKSire Name: Rito 6EM3 of 4L1 Emblazon

Seller: Express Ranches Yukon OKMore Info...

Reg. No.: 16538707
Birth Date: 1/1/2010
Sire Name: Rito 6EM3 of 4L1 Emblazon
Due Date:
Lot 4 R B Active Duty 010 2/3 $16,000.00 Buyer: Pasture View Farms Dunlap IL;
Haynes Cattle Company Holyoke COSire Name: LCC New Standard

Seller: Riley Bros.Farms Darlington WIMore Info...

Reg. No.: 16718300
Birth Date: 3/1/2010
Sire Name: LCC New Standard
Due Date:
Lot 10 Werner War Path 0037 2/3 $15,000.00 Buyer: Oldroyd Angus Farm Vernal UTSire Name: Werner War Party 2417

Seller: Werner Angus Cordova ILMore Info...

Reg. No.: 16646813
Birth Date: 1/5/2010
Sire Name: Werner War Party 2417
Due Date:
Lot 18 Cherry Knoll Product 9073 2/3 $11,000.00 Buyer: Express Ranches Yukon OKSire Name: Connealy Final Product

Seller: Cherry Knoll Farm West Grove PAMore Info...

Reg. No.: 16594845
Birth Date: 9/27/2009
Sire Name: Connealy Final Product
Due Date:
Lot 23 Riverbend Universal 1/2 $10,500.00 Buyer: Oldroyd Angus Farm Vernal UTSire Name: S S Objective T510 0T26

Seller: Riverbend Ranch Idaho Falls IDMore Info...

Reg. No.: 16542583
Birth Date: 8/6/2009
Sire Name: S S Objective T510 0T26
Due Date:
Lot 28 SMR 758N Crossover 9242 2/3 $10,000.00 Buyer: Silveira Bros. Firebaugh CASire Name: BT Crossover 758N

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
American Angus Association® 3201

So what about the females then?

NWSS Open Show
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQHEzkmvVn4

NWSS Junior Show
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xeKcSF47r0

Latest posts