• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bill Bullard and NCBA President Jim McAdams went head-to-hea

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
December 19, 2005

Copy By: Natasha Bentz, National Field Coordinator
Phone: 406-252-2516; e-mail: [email protected]

Media Contact: Shae Dodson, Communications Coordinator
Phone: 406-672-8969; e-mail: [email protected] For Immediate Release

Live Debate in Wisconsin Lasts a Record Four Hours

(Bloomington, Wis.) – R-CALF USA CEO Bill Bullard and NCBA President Jim McAdams went head-to-head recently on current cattle-industry issues at Bloomington Livestock Exchange in Bloomington, Wis., during a live debate that lasted a record four hours.

"As we continue to witness the ongoing changes in the beef industry, I cannot express the importance of the true voice R-CALF USA has provided for the U.S. independent cattleman," said Kevin Kirschbaum, owner of Bloomington Livestock Exchange. "With calf, yearling and fed cattle prices so strong, it's easy for the independent cattlemen to overlook the issues happening daily."

Kirschbaum sponsored the debate, and also hosted a rollover calf sale his sale barn as a fund-raiser for R-CALF USA, which generated more than $5,500 for the organization. Bullard spoke to the crowd prior to the fund-raiser, and both his talk and the calf sale were broadcast live over the Internet.

"Now, is the time to move forward aggressively and preserve our share of the marketplace," noted Kirschbaum. "We now have a voice through R-CALF USA.

"Let's continue to exercise our right to be heard and make a difference by helping to make R-CALF the largest independent cattlemen's organization in the United States," he continued. "Support USA beef and support R-CALF."

During the debate, Bullard said the entire beef supply chain is driven by the amount of beef that consumers purchase and the price consumers are willing to pay for it. One school of thought throughout the '80s and '90s, he said, was whatever was good for the beef packer was also good for the cattle industry because when packers were profitable, they would pass those profits back to the producer. Yet, history shows this is not true, and for the last three years, producers have received historically high prices only because the packers were denied the captive-supply cattle and access to imports they were using to leverage down domestic cattle prices, Bullard explained.

He went on to explain that the goal of R-CALF USA is to ensure that independent cattle producers can continue to set the terms of their production, the terms for their marketing, and receive their competitive share of the consumers' beef dollar from the competitive marketplace. Independent cattle producers have to stand up to protect their own interests because no one else will, he warned.

McAdams told the crowd that the mandatory Beef Checkoff was implemented because cattle producers were suffering terrible prices and record imports in the 1980s.

"In an effort to be more competitive we started concentrating on efficiency, however, we lost quality and consistency," he noted. "We now know, since we focused on demand, that between the late '70s and late '90s that we lost 50 percent of our beef demand."

He said that all industry segments had been fighting amongst each other, so they agreed to merge into one organization, that being the National Cattlemen's Beef Association, or NCBA.

"NCBA is an organization of cattle producers, but we are industry inclusive," said McAdams.

He explained the NCBA board is made up of 60 percent cow/calf/stocker operators, 30 percent feeders, 1.5 percent packers/processors, 1.5 percent livestock market operators and 6 percent retailers/food service/agriculture lenders/feed companies/animal health companies.

One question posed to McAdams asked if NCBA was indeed democratically oriented, then why did the organization side with the packers on the Canadian border issue? McAdams responded that Canadian beef is as safe as USA beef, and if NCBA had requested that the border remain closed – which would have stopped beef from a country with lower health standards from coming into the U.S. – such action would have endangered consumer confidence.

Bullard told the crowd that the only reason R-CALF USA exists is because the entire industry was headed in one direction – toward vertical integration.

"Packers are trying to turn the feeding sector into a non-competitive subsidiary of the packers themselves," said Bullard. "Packers told us that demand for consistent quality products were leading many firms to exert greater control over the supply chain. We (cattle producers) cannot be unified (with the packers) because we have different interests.

"The packers already have two organizations representing them: the American Meat Institute (AMI) and the National Meat Association (NMA)," explained Bullard. "The producers are the only sector that does not have their own, exclusive organization representing them.

"You cannot compete as widely dispersed, independent producers unless you are united under an organization strong enough and large enough to affect the outcome," he emphasized.

"I like the way Mr. Bullard spoke; he did a good job of presenting the facts," said Roger Kreul, of Fennimore, Wis. "I did enjoy the way Mr. Bullard pointed out that if COOL was done correctly, there would be no added cost. The labeling charge would only fall on the imported meat."

"Bill was extremely welcome and well-received," commented Gregg May, of Mineral Point, Wis. "He is an excellent spokesman for R-CALF and the industry."

Merial SureHealth co-sponsored the debate, moderated by "The Fabulous Farm Babe" Pam Jahnke, host of the Wisconsin Farm Report. Grant County Cattlemen's Association prepared and served the meal prior to the debate.

Rollover auction contributors included: Dave Matthes Livestock; PAPA Alliance/Gregg May; Dan Mueller; Roger Knutson; Jim Kirschbaum; Southwest Veterinary Services; Tricor Insurance/Ken Houtakker; Iowa County Cattlemen's Association; Miller Trucking; Gary Rickles; Bloomington Livestock Exchange Inc.; Joe and Dawn Langmeier; Five-Star Telecommunications; Diamond K Farms/Joe Finley; Roger and Debra VanDerLeest; 2K Cattle Enterprises; Roger Paynter Livestock; Pigeon Creek Cattle Co./James Murray; K&K Livestock Trucking; Leonard Auction Services; Tim Slack Auction and Realty; Jerry Fulman; R-Valley Farm/Roger Ralston; Breneman Beef Farms; Jim and Diane Collins; Oak Grove Farm/Ray Walter; Butikofer Cattle and Grain/Mike Butikofer; Jim Palzkill; Tom Thomson; Retrum Trucking; Garnet Inc.; Roger Kreul; Charles and Sue Johnson; Sue Finley; and Jerry and Machelle Bulman.

# # #

R-CALF USA (Ranchers-Cattlemen Action Legal Fund, United Stockgrowers of America) represents thousands of U.S. cattle producers on domestic and international trade and marketing issues. R-CALF USA, a national, non-profit organization, is dedicated to ensuring the continued profitability and viability of the U.S. cattle industry. R-CALF USA's membership consists primarily of cow/calf operators, cattle backgrounders, and feedlot owners. Its members - over 18,000 strong - are located in 47 states, and the organization has over 60 local and state association affiliates, from both cattle and farm organizations. Various main street businesses are associate members of R-CALF USA. For more information, visit www.r-calfusa.com or, call 406-252-2516.

McAdams responded that Canadian beef is as safe as USA beef, and if NCBA had requested that the border remain closed – which would have stopped beef from a country with lower health standards from coming into the U.S.

I guess RCALF's reporter tried to slip that mis-quote in there!

Murgen said:
McAdams responded that Canadian beef is as safe as USA beef, and if NCBA had requested that the border remain closed – which would have stopped beef from a country with lower health standards from coming into the U.S.

With position holders like Haymaker you can't expect them to tell the TRUTH.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Murgen said:

You can guess on his position..

frenchie said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Murgen said:

You dont have to guess,my position in R CALF remains the same,Floor board the "SOB" and run over anything or anyone that will try to keep R CALF from representing the cattle man :wink: .................good luck
PS and if I was to do any guessing it would be why someone would be dumb enough to admitt to being french,frenchie????????

Haymaker, you posted the date as Dec. 19, 2005

Fact is, that question and statement session took place some seven months ago, didn't it?

Nice "cherry picking" of comments to serve the R-CALF agenda while twisting things to make McAdams appear to say things he did not say!

Overall, a minus for useful, factual information goes to R-CALF....again.

MRJ

mj...Haymaker, you posted the date as Dec. 19, 2005

Fact is, that question and statement session took place some seven months ago, didn't it?

Your fact is wrong mj. You need to make a call to NCBA to get your talking points down. This took place on Nov. 5, 2005. The article says recently, the Dec. 19 date was the date that it was released.

Tommy said:
Overall, a minus for useful, factual information goes to mj...AGAIN

Darn! you are right! I did make one serious error. I typed "month" when I should have typed "weeks". That "debate" took place Nov. 5, 2005. Things like that do sometimes happen when listening to the radio while typing. My multi-tasking skills are slipping. I had "weeks" written on my notes and still mistakenly typed "month". Still living and learning....slower now.

Meanwhile, I did find more "errors" in the text.

About paragraph 13, I believe, it is made to APPEAR that McAdams said "which would have stopped beef from a country with lower health standards from coming into the U.S.", when, in fact, he did NOT. That R-CALF statement is cleverly and deceptively placed in the middle of Jims' answser to a question about opening the Canadian border. What Jim McAdams DID say is "Canadian beef is as safe as USA beef, and if NCBA had requested that the border remain closed (here is where SOMEONE inserted the above R-CALF statement) such action would have endangered consumer confidence.

I wonder why Hong Kong has been accepting Canadian beef for the past 8 months? It the R-CALF statement claiming Canada's health standards are lower than the USA has, surely beef from Canada would not be acceptable in Hong Kong.

With that little deception, one wonders how many others there are in that "news release" from an event seven WEEKS ago.

MRJ

MRJ
I wonder why Hong Kong has been accepting Canadian beef for the past 8 months? It the R-CALF statement claiming Canada's health standards are lower than the USA has, surely beef from Canada would not be acceptable in Hong Kong.

MRJ, how does this have to do with anything? Do you base all your decisions on what people in Hong Kong do?

I am not arguing against Canadians here, I am arguing against the kind of arguments you bring to a discussion.

Econ101 said:
MRJ

MRJ, how does this have to do with anything? Do you base all your decisions on what people in Hong Kong do?

I am not arguing against Canadians here, I am arguing against the kind of arguments you bring to a discussion.

Econ, for you, I will attempt to draw the picture more clearly.

In the first post on this thread, R-CALF brought up their mantra that, as they put it, "Canada has lower health standards than the USA" (re. BSE).

My point with the quote that Hong Kong accepted Canadian beef months ago, yet still isn't taking US beef (unless that has changed recently), which makes it apparent that Hong Kong must believe Canadian beef safer than US beef......wonder whom to thank for that ????

And I really don't pay much attention to what Hong Kong does, however, I appreciate the fact that they do have a huge tourism trade and very wealthy people living there, so would be great if we could get more US beef into Hong Kong, IMO.

MRJ

Econ101 said:
MRJ

There is nothing to argue.

MRJ was merely pointing out the truth, that in one of their press releases R-Calf falsified a statement from an NCBA official. Another outright lie brought to this site by R-Calf supporters. MRJ didn't even have to go looking for it. :oops:

Bill said:
Econ101 said:
MRJ

There is nothing to argue.

MRJ was merely pointing out the truth, that in one of their press releases R-Calf falsified a statement from an NCBA official. Another outright lie brought to this site by R-Calf supporters. MRJ didn't even have to go looking for it. :oops:

Okay.

Bill, "There is nothing to argue. MRJ was merely pointing out the truth, that in one of their press releases R-Calf falsified a statement from an NCBA official. Another outright lie brought to this site by R-Calf supporters. MRJ didn't even have to go looking for it. "

You're right, there is nothing to argue. Where are the quotation marks? In English, quotation marks are used to inform the reader what is a direct quote and what is not. Not only did Shae not use quotation marks, she used two hypens. Anybody who paid attention in grade school English class shouldn't have any questions.

Sandhusker said:
Bill, "There is nothing to argue. MRJ was merely pointing out the truth, that in one of their press releases R-Calf falsified a statement from an NCBA official. Another outright lie brought to this site by R-Calf supporters. MRJ didn't even have to go looking for it. "

You're right, there is nothing to argue. Where are the quotation marks? In English, quotation marks are used to inform the reader what is a direct quote and what is not. Not only did Shae not use quotation marks, she used two hypens. Anybody who paid attention in grade school English class shouldn't have any questions.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Leave it to Sandhusker to justify R-Calf's twisting and manipulating. :lol: :lol:

Natasha Bentz wrote it so Shae must have edited it. She probably never thought anyone would confuse it for a quote so didn't bother to put her R-Calfs opinion in a new sentence. Yeah right!!

Bill said:
Sandhusker said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Leave it to Sandhusker to justify R-Calf's twisting and manipulating. :lol: :lol:

Natasha Bentz wrote it so Shae must have edited it. She probably never thought anyone would confuse it for a quote so didn't bother to put her R-Calfs opinion in a new sentence. Yeah right!!

I was wrong about Shae, it was Natasha.

You want to pick apart my statement and tell me where I am wrong?

HAY MAKER said:
frenchie said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

You dont have to guess,my position in R CALF remains the same,Floor board the "SOB" and run over anything or anyone that will try to keep R CALF from representing the cattle man :wink: .................good luck
PS and if I was to do any guessing it would be why someone would be dumb enough to admitt to being french,frenchie????????

Thats okay Hay Maker we know your behind Bullard all the way. :wink:

frenchie...R-Calf destroying consumer confidence in beef
one press release at a time.......

Tell us what percent consumer confidence in beef is right now frenchie?

Latest posts