• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Binoculars

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Stretch

Reaction score
We have always just gotten by with the basic kind however my oldest (10) is showing interest in hunting and I would like to find a better set of binoculars. I realize the sky is the limit but my conservative side says 150.00 or less would be a good spot to look at so I wouldn't be scared to let him use them.. I would like to find a set that shows well in low light and are also really nice and clear.. The size of them.... well of course the smaller the better so a kid could handle them easily. Any suggestions? Thanks...

I have some 300 dollar Leopolds and a 150 pair of Nikons and the Nikons are far and away better. Mine are 10 by 40 power. If money was no object i'd go with Savorskis!

Speaking from experience I'd go with a couple cheaper pairs till your hunter gets a bit older-we use up bino's up here pretty fast. They get used every day and not treated like they should. Bushnell Excursions are a good bino for the money. I can't believe you don't like your Leupold's any optics we have from them are first class-10 x40's are a bit big to hunt with. Headache city if you use that power in poor quality for very long.

poke arround sportsmansguide.com for the next couple months - they're nowhere as cheap as when Ollie owned them, but they'll have some good bargains post hunting season/Christmas. I understand some guy in Witchita Ks bought them, and the bargains dried up.

THey use to sell a heavy wool Italian army blanket for about $10 (I own about 20), post Ollie they get $28 for the same blanket.

I think you have a good idea,keeping the price around $150. I have an old pair of Zeiss,good glasses but I bet most folks couldnt tell the differnce between them and a pair half the price...............good luck

Last ones I bought I went to a good local sporting goods store that had them close to the front so I could look out the open door at the mountains. I started at the top with the Savorskis, and worked down price wise right to the $25 ones the worked back up I got into the $200-$300 range and the jump up just wasn't good enough for my peasant eyes( oh the Savorskis were best but )
Ended up with a pair of SIGHTRONS for around $200 that work great for me, Seemed to be the break from ok to good at around $200 then great at $600 and Wow at $2000.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=493847&pn=1

Something like this work? Bargains will gat better in the next couple months if you can wait.

If you can find a good price on a pair of Steiners, that would have my vote. Having the reticle on one eye allows you to determine range.

http://www.steiner-binoculars.com/downloads/ReticleInstruction.pdf

image1.jpg

Vortex Razors won binocular of the year from Outdoor Life they aren't very expensive but they are really clear. You can get by fairly cheap but when you start hunting hard you will need to upgrade some. For example you want to make sure that mulie buck is a shooter before you take off on a two mile circle to get the wind right in archery season. For general hunting though I wouldn't go over 8X. A buddy bought a pair of 6 power Leupolds that are a sweet glass for hunting in the bush.

I don't know if they still make them. I have a old Redfield about 25 years old. Still use it all the time. It was about $150.

Latest posts