• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bison Coming To A Ranch Near You

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
Especially OT. :lol: Better be on the lookout for more old bedsprings and bicycle frames to patch your catchpen when they tear it up.
BILLINGS, Mont. — Montana wildlife officials on Monday released a short list of five entities that could receive bison from Yellowstone National Park under an experimental program to establish new herds of the animals.

The roughly 145 bison have been held in recent years on behalf of the state at a Bozeman-area ranch owned by philanthropist Ted Turner. They were captured from the park in 2005 and 2006, put into quarantine and tested repeatedly to make sure they don't have the disease brucellosis, which can lead to miscarriages in livestock if the disease is spread.

Ten entities have expressed interested in receiving the animals. That was narrowed to five proposals based on guidance from a panel of state, federal and tribal officials that met last week, said Ron Aasheim, spokesman for Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks.

No deadline has been set for a final decision. Aasheim said the state has been asked to move the animals off Turner's ranch by November.

Details of the proposals are:

-- The Fort Peck Indian Reservation's Assiniboine and Sioux tribes: After receiving several dozen bison from the quarantine program in 2012, the tribes are seeking more animals to augment an existing herd on their northeast Montana reservation. They would be used for cultural and conservation purposes.

-- Utah Division of Wildlife Resources: The agency has requested 30 bison to increase genetic diversity and augment two existing herds of the animals that are managed by the state in the Henry Mountains and Book Cliffs.

-- Wildlife Conservation Society: The New York-based conservation group requested 30 bison for zoos in the Bronx, Queens and Ohio. The animals would be used to establish nucleus herds to promote future conservation.

-- Cherokee Nation: The American Indian tribe requested 35 bison to establish a herd on tribal lands in northeast Oklahoma. Its proposal said the animals would be used for education, economic development and to preserve the animal's genetics.

-- American Prairie Reserve: The private group is seeking an undetermined number of bison to integrate with its existing herd of about 450 bison on land in north-central Montana. The animals would be classified as livestock and grazed on private, state and federal land.

" The animals would be classified as livestock ....."

This is the key phrase. 'Big Open' , 'buffalo commons', etc types wanted them as free ranging wildlife...........If they're livestock, they come under mt dept of live, we can live with that.

littlejoe said:

This is the key phrase. 'Big Open' , 'buffalo commons', etc types wanted them as free ranging wildlife...........If they're livestock, they come under mt dept of live, we can live with that.

So...........if they're "Livestock", they won't be tearing down fences and corrals and spreading diseases? :roll:

Mike said:
littlejoe said:

So...........if they're "Livestock", they won't be tearing down fences and corrals and spreading diseases? :roll:

Did you even try to read and understand the article you pasted? The animals have tested negative for bangs "repeatedly". I have had neighbors raising buffalo for at least forty years now with no major problems.

so hey wont be tearing down fences, and hurting other livestock... :roll: :roll:

Repeatedly tested for bangs does not mean they do not carry something else!!!

There are about 50 Bison on a place down the road from me.............

They're in a suckerod "Pipe" fence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wonder why? :lol: :lol:

I agree with Bullhauler on the listing of them as livestock. We have more control if they have to put Buffalo on these lands. I personally feel they belong in the park.

There are buffalo just a few miles up the road from me. No big deal.

They have a SUPER hot smooth wire elec fence inside the main fence . Never seen one out nor ever heard of a bit of trouble out of them.

I'd more worry about the elk that now wander close to our state line bringing in something than these bison.

Mike said:

They're in a suckerod "Pipe" fence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wonder why? :lol: :lol:

Maybe because back there in podunk smallville you don't have any big pastures to put them in.

Bullhauler said:
Mike said:

Maybe because back there in podunk smallville you don't have any big pastures to put them in.

"I" don't have any pastures to put them in period whether it be 300-400-500 acres. Don't want those nasty things here anyway. Those people that have them are just playing and using their place for a tax write-off.

Mike said:
littlejoe said:

not necessarily---but somebody can be held accountable and I'd way rather have the dept of livestock dealing with it over fish cops or fed wildlife guys. but still---you got tribes involved and that's an alternate universe itself....

OpEd: Spread of Montana Bison Slows

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

OpEd: Spread of Montana Bison Slows

The following opinion-editorial is from Chuck Denowh, United Property Owners of Montana Policy Editor:

Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks' recent decision to abandon a plan to impose a free-roaming bison herd Montana is a case study in effective compromise.

Instead of the wildly unpopular free-roaming plan, FWP has chosen to partner with private and tribal landowners to relieve some of the overflow from the over-populated Yellowstone Park bison herd.

FWP Director Jeff Hagener deserves the credit for listening to all sides of the issue and coming forward with a solution that satisfies most of the concerns of landowners.

While we applaud director Hagener's realization that there's no place for free-roaming bison in Montana, landowners still have concerns about bison that must be addressed.

Any relocation of bison within Montana needs to have clearly identified parameters. Who is responsible for installing and maintaining the fencing to keep them contained? Who is responsible for retrieving them if they get out onto neighboring land? And who is liable for the cost of any damage escaped bison might do to private property?

Advocates of a free-roaming bison herd — where private landowners would be expected to just "put up" with the animals on their property — would have preferred that no one be responsible for fencing, retrieving escaped animals, or paying landowners for damage. With that attitude, it's no wonder the free-roaming bison plan was so unpopular that FWP quickly killed it.

Instead, FWP has asked private and tribal entities for their assistance in relocating bison to property where they are welcome.

As long as it's made clear that those private and tribal entities are assuming responsibility for the bison they receive — including the financial responsibility for proper fencing and damage liability — then adjacent landowners should have some level of comfort that they won't be forced to bear the burden of those bison on their own property.

The bottom line is Montana's large and growing bison herd must be contained to property where the animals are welcome, and they shouldn't be forced onto other people's property.

It's a positive step forward to see Hagener and his department show a preference for a more moderate position on this issue.

Though some great strides forward have occurred on this issue, Montana FWP would be well served to clear up the additional, lingering questions about how they will handle bison relocations to private and tribal lands in the future.

It's sad to say, but FWP's brief flirtation with imposing free-roaming bison on Montana landowners has done a great deal of damage to their reputation and trustworthiness. Their more recent actions may allow that rift to heal somewhat, but there's still a long way to go. How they handle the bison coming out of the Green Ranch quarantine will say far more about their intentions than any press release will.

Chuck Denowh is the policy director of United Property Owners of Montana, an advocacy group dedicated to protecting Montana's ranching heritage.

Like littlejoe said- this is the reason the ruling that they be treated like livestock instead of free-roaming wildlife is so important... Like the article says-- FWP's talk of having free roaming bison totally wiped out years of trust and cooperation farmers and ranchers had built up with the agency....

If you two Bozo's would stop and read the title to my post, it says, "Bison Coming To A Ranch Near You". :roll: Says nothing about Free Ranging Bison.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall when these animals break down your fence and travel through your pasture only to break the fences down on the other end.....

Then when you call the Reservation and they laugh at you because there is no proof the Bison went through your pasture at all.

Do you think they're going to put up "Pipe" fencing? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Easy, 3K!

Got 'em within half a mile now, have had for yrs. Can outrun them with good horse, but they can turn like a trout and out turn a good horse.

I will flat out guarantee you--or anyone else--that I can, single handed, take these suckers anywhere they want to go, all by myself.

:D

oh wow, you guarantee....LOL LOL LOL
not gonna take that to the bank!!!!!!
When you gonna visit and stop hiding behind your screen????

You wanted my address so bad you almost cried .
go back into hiding behind your screen!!!!

Mike said:
If you two Bozo's would stop and read the title to my post, it says, "Bison Coming To A Ranch Near You". :roll: Says nothing about Free Ranging Bison.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall when these animals break down your fence and travel through your pasture only to break the fences down on the other end.....

Then when you call the Reservation and they laugh at you because there is no proof the Bison went through your pasture at all.

Do you think they're going to put up "Pipe" fencing? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good grief you act like having buffalo in a pasture close to you is something new.

littlejoe said:
storage units don 't count, ground loop.
What storage unit??? hanger number and address does not count??? but even if it were a dumpster it is still 100% more than anything YOU have provided :D :twisted: all you have provided is your MOUTH :D :D step up lil joe be a man,, stop hiding behind you monitor and be a MAN... yur inability to that just shows how little you REALLY are :roll:
Does spineless ring a bell?????? Yes it should because you are.... coward,,, bully,,, and called out!!!! Yes I am calling you OUT,,, but you hide behind a
screen and try to act like a MAN

You said it all little joe, I'm sure you alone can take them anywhere THEY want to go but I'd bet you a ton of money that in the terrain I live in you couldn't make them go anywhere YOU wanted them to go. We live near a huge buffalo pasture run by the Ogalla Sioux Tribe (not a little podunk acreage) and they are out constantly even though they have double woven wire around the pasture. The problem is the government workers that are hired don't fix the fence, and there is no guarantee these new government sanctuaries will be any better. When you call them to run them back to their property, they always tear out however many fences that are in between (sometimes 100-200 yard stretches of broken posts and mangled barbed wire.) So if you think it's a helluva great deal to have Uncle Sam or any other government agency being your neighbor and their running buffs, you better think again!!!!

I have seen what buffalo does to the neighbors and it is not a pretty sight. Government can't fence out the illegals how are they going to fence in the Buffalo? OT knows what his neighbors think of this and it is not good.

Latest posts