• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

BJD (Bovine Johnes Disease)

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I Luv Herfrds

Reaction score
Ran into our vets wife last night. She asked me what I knew about Johnes (yo-nees).
Told nothing.

She told me her husband had tested some cattle and they came back positive for Johnes.

Any body else have dealt with disease? Know more about it?
I read that deer can get it and I wonder if they can tranmit it to cattle.

Yeah... The corp had it a several years ago.... Got it from a bull breeder. Cattle just wasted away with the shits... Was given credit for the bulls but never used it. some people where trying to sell there credits in the newspaper.. Some breeders test for it and advertise they are johnes free....
I can't rmember the perticulars on transmission so I won't say.... Just google or bing it for more information....

What I have found has told me that it is hard to test for since it takes so long to develop.

Vet is concerned this is the next big train wreck out here.

Do you know how accurate the tests are?

I Luv Herfrds said:
What I have found has told me that it is hard to test for since it takes so long to develop.

Vet is concerned this is the next big train wreck out here.

Do you know how accurate the tests are?

If they are tested I would be pretty confindent that they are johnes free... It's those that don't... I would guess that proven bulls would have the test done. So pretty accurate..

In our province there was a programme last year to test herds for anyone who wanted it done. Lots of folks did it at preg checking, it's just a stool sample they take and I guess they need to grow a culture on it.
We declined to get it done, I don't think there is anything I could do if it is here, and odds are good if it's not here it will be soon.
From what I understand the disease is transferred orally, usually through feces, so any dirty udder or water source could be carrying it.
The disease only presents classic symptoms in a tiny fraction of the herd (1-2% sticks in my head), and if that many are showing up chances are many more are carrying it. It takes years to develop.
I think that as overrun as we are with deer and elk, it's likely not going to go away any time soon, and odds are good that a great many people have it in there herds and have no idea it's there. I think it hurts the dairy folks the worst because there is a drop in milk production in carrier herds.

From what she told me last night the herd he tested the people had bought these heifers from another herd.
He tested the heifers and they came up positive. The people who sold the heifers called him liar and brought in their own vets and techs, then quietly bought the heifers back.

From what I read it was in the Victorian Univeristy paper is it can be transmitted through the milk of infected animals to the calves but I believe it said only 9%. Sorry I'm not wearing my contacts or glasses. Also said it was not transmitted from to dam to calf during pregnancy. Paper said it removed the calves from the dams right away to see if the calves were already poistive or negative.

I think only Line One's get it. You should have it made in the shade. No worries, mate!!

:wink:

There are 2 blood test for johnnes one is more accurate than the other. There may be fecal test as well I do not know. An animal needs to be at least 1 year old or older to be able to be tested by blood. The whole herd needs to be tested for multiple years to make sure you do not have johnnes. The state of Maine had a program that you could test for free for several years and I took advantage of it. We never found a positive animal for the test.

Here's the Rutgers plan for dealing with it in dairy herds. Maybe it can give you some ideas.

http://njaes.rutgers.edu/pubs/download-free.asp?strPubID=FS782

It's been so long since I have been on the dairy, I don't remember exactly what type of testing was done and when, but I remember culling cows that had it. I do remember it not being very difficult to tell who had it once they got sick. :shock:

There are several ways to test for johnes a couple of them are blood milk feces and a tissue sample ( notch from ear) . Being in the dairy business where those disease caring things get every thing known to man kind you need to be carefull with what kind of animals you buy. If you buy an animal that has not been tested keep it by its self till you get it tested. The test i run is blood or milk and it costs around $15 and take about three days to get the results. A good friend had this disease in his dairy a couple years ago from the local deer herd he ended up loosing half his herd over the next year. It is very contagious and can be passed on by saliva as well as feces and milk.

Thanks HD for te article.
Read in thatone there is a vaccine but how affective it is the article didn't say.

nortex if that is the best you have to offer then go somewhere else. Mate is a term used for friends by my Kiwi friends and you ain't one.

Just want to test our herd to make sure it is not here. We rarely bring in outside heifers and mainly it is just bulls.

Hey all, I have had it in a herd of goats that I have. It is sure a pain and it is hard to deal with. The most commom way it is spread is through fecal matter. It is what they call a bacterium, and it does take a long time to develop in numbers to show the effects of the illness. The dairy herds are hardest hit as they are in lots and under a lot of stress as the dairies need the top production out of them. It takes three to four years to develop in cattle. The only sure fire way to test is fecal, and that is expensive and time consuming, as it can take up to eight weeks to get results. There is blood tests that work but they are not all that accurate.
In my goats it did not show up as the scours as bad as in cattle, but it did show up at the end of their lives, euthanasia. It is noticed more quickly in goats as the body size, had some as young as three that had it full blown, seen some symtems as early as two. First thing I saw was poor hair coat and thin even though they ate well. Looked at eye lids to see red color as being anemic or not and if they were anemic and worming did no good they were seperated and tested and culled if need be.
If you all are like me and care deeply for your livestock, and think of them as part of the the operation (the workers) then it is hard and will take it's toll, but it can be handled. Good luck

I Luv Herfrds said:
nortex if that is the best you have to offer then go somewhere else. Mate is a term used for friends by my Kiwi friends and you ain't one.

Trust me, I was being facetious. Last time I checked you weren't on the Christmas card list.........

I've been coming to this site for over 5 years. And the whole time you have had one problem after the next. Maybe production livestock is just not your "thing".

This article was written by a local vet,in the local magazine.Cows with Johne's disease are typically in there prime,3 to 6 years of age-and often have evidence of diarrhea on there tail.What most producers don't realize is that infection often begins when a calf is exposed to contaminated manure.The bacteria causing Johne's disease results in a very gradual thickening of the intestines,reducing the nutrients the cow can absorb,resulting in weight loss and diarrhea.The worst mistake a producer can do is keeping her anywhere near the calving area.Cows with signs of Johne's disease shed billions of bacteria through there manure and serve as a major source of infection for future calves.It has even been shown that cows infected with Johne's will periodically shed bacteria up to a year before they ever show any signs of having the disease.Further complicating the spread of Johne's is that the bacteria may also be passed through colostrum,milk and even to a unborn calf.The bacteria causing Johne's does not multiply to any extent outside of the cow,but is very hardy and can survive over a year in the enviroment,even through a saskatchewan winter.Cows with Johnes were shown to wean calves that weigh 50 pounds less than normal herd mates.As an industry,the reason for concern with Johnes diesease is not just it's production effects,but its risk as a cause of human disease,as well.It is very likely that some cases of Crohn's disease in people are assosiated with the bacteria causing Johne's in cattle.Not only do the diseases appear similiar in clinical signs,but even the damage in the gut.Testing for Johne's disease can be an exercise in frustration.The tests do what they were designed to do-identify the bacteria or cows immune response against it.However the bacteria in manure or antibodies in the blood may not be present until late in the disease.Typically for infected herds,a positive test result is indeed positive,but a negative test result means keep looking.We estimate that that at least 1 in 10 beef herds are infected with Johne's disease.However,the number of cows infected in a herd will depend on it's management.Confining cow-calf pairs in small corrals or on pasture will increase the risk of calves getting exposed to infected manure.Just remember that controlling Johne's disease uses some of the basic management used to control calf-scours-reduce exposure to cow manure by giving cow-calf pairs as much room as possible;use lots of bedding to cover and dilute the manure(dilution is the solution to pollution),if possible,fence off any standing water that becomes heavily contaminated with manure,and culling cows with poor udders or no milk.Strategies like these will help keep cows and udders clean and minimize calf exposure to manure,while getting them sufficient colostrum and milk.There is no vaccine currently licensed or available in canada as they interfere with tuberculosis testing and have limited efficacy.Similarly,there are no effective drugs for treating cows with Johne's disease.Monensin (Rumensin TM)is an antimicrobial currently used to prevent coccidiosis,but it has also been found to reduce the shedding of the Johne's bacteria in the manure of infected cattle.It may be one part of a Johne's control plan.That is the article in short,my hands are getting tired of typing.

Another texan big mouth maybe just stay there and enjoy yourself. You're opinion does not matter to me and you started it.
Just don't like the truth do you. Oh 5 years I'm impressed! NOT!!!!!

Thanks 3words nice to get some more info on here instead of a jackazz spouting his crap.

Oh nortex I guess being a wife, mother, farmer, rancher, volunteer fire fighter, volunteer EMT-B, plus working a town job for 8 hours 5 days a week means your better then me.
I seriously doubt it.
As for raising cattle I doubt your better then anybody. Never want to eat one of your steaks.

Nighty nite!
I gotta go to my job tomorrow and be on call for our ambulance service for 6 hours too!

There may be a link between Johnes (Paratuberculosis) in animals and Crohns Disease in people. Milk? Hasn't been verified yet.

Bad, bad stuff.

Latest posts