• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Blizzard Warning!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
Warnings for Fallon County, Mt.

Blizzard WarningStatement as of 8:20 AM MDT on April 30, 2011
... Blizzard Warning in effect until 2 PM MDT this afternoon...

The National Weather Service in Billings has issued a Blizzard
Warning... which is in effect until 2 PM MDT this afternoon.

* Impacts: very strong northwest winds at 35 to 45 mph with gusts
to around 65 mph will combine with snow... heavy at times... to
create near zero visibility through early this afternoon. Travel
may be impossible due to the poor visibility and snow-covered
roads.

* Timing: very strong northwest winds combined with heavy snow
will continue into early this afternoon.

* Snow accumulation: 4 to 6 inches of snow has already occurred
over the area. Expect additional accumulations of around 2
inches through early this afternoon.

Precautionary/preparedness actions...

A Blizzard Warning is issued when sustained wind speeds or
frequent gusts of over 35 mph are expected with considerable
falling and or blowing and drifting snow. Visibilities will
become poor with whiteout conditions at times. Those venturing
outdoors may become lost or disoriented so persons in the warning
area are advised to stay indoors.

Http://weather.Gov/Billings

Public Information StatementStatement as of 5:34 am MDT on April 30, 2011
... Daily low temperatures at Billings have been less than
40 degrees every day so far this year...

The daily low temperature in Billings has been less than 40
degrees every day so far in 2011... a streak of 120 days.
Previously the longest stretch of days with low temperatures less
than 40 degrees from the start of the year was 114 days in 1975.

The streak of daily low temperatures less than 40 degrees in
Billings extends back to November 8th of last year. By falling to
34 degrees Saturday morning... the current streak stands at 174
days. 174 days is the longest stretch of consecutive days with low
temperatures less than 40 degrees. 1984-1985 and 1964-1965 both
saw stretches of 170 days.

2011 is the first time since record keeping began in Billings that
the daily low temperature was less than 40 degrees for the entire
month of April. 1951 was the previous longest stretch with 26
days.

Mostly wind and rain here with just enough snow turn the ground white. I think its about done here with .54" of moisture. The wind is still blowing and supposed to blow all day. The highest wind gust so far has been 54 mph.

we've had gusts to 70mph. can't see the loader bucket from the seat of the tractor. gonna be a hell of a mess to clean up when this one is over. :mad:

Justin said:
we've had gusts to 70mph. can't see the loader bucket from the seat of the tractor. gonna be a hell of a mess to clean up when this one is over. :mad:

Sure your not driving a BI-Directional and the seat got turned? :wink: :lol: :lol:

Justin said:

This will put your's and my problems into proper perspective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU6hsYk_sWI&feature=related

Tons of power line poles are down around here, I would say close to half in some places.

Mostly from rain freezing to the power lines, most that are not snapped off are leaning pretty bad, probably gonna be awhile before the power is back on, im glad be have generaters haha

Big Muddy rancher said:
Justin said:

Sure your not driving a BI-Directional and the seat got turned? :wink: :lol: :lol:

:lol2: nope, i don't own one of those.

:tiphat:

AngusCowBoy said:
Tons of power line poles are down around here, I would say close to half in some places.

Yep the neighbor that is the manager of WAPA had to cancel out helping some neighbors brand when he got called that power lines from Culbertson on east were all down...
We're getting 50+ mph winds- and I just found a power pole broke off and hanging over a neighbors windbreak-- and it was cold this morning (30)- but little rain and no snow....

My son just went thru Williston area- eastbound on Amtrak- and he called and said there are miles of power poles covered with snow and ice and snapped off...Said they saw bunchs of little calves all alone on the highway- and cows/yearlings wandering on the roads...
Sounds like a mess.....

snowing again here right now. 4 inches of snow with north wind last night but did melt off mostly during the day. I was feeling good about running right around 98% pasture calving last weekend when we branded the first half but after the weather took 4 and the wolves got three yesterday the percentage is falling a little. God bless the people who are going to save us from ourselves..... I'm sure wolf pups are more important to our society than beef

Makes our trees look pretty good. Wind's blowing here but the cows are in the brush they don't even feel a breeze in the thick stuff.

Had snow showers yesterday. Also had a hail storm with lighting and thunder and then is snowed.

crazy crazy weather

We've had a few nice days lately, the water is starting to run. Tommorow is supposed to deteriorate so we'll see what the Lord brings us.

My thoughts and prayers go out to those affected by this weather.

Latest posts