• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bloating steer

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
When I went out to chore this evenin' I found a steer that wouldnt come to feed. When I checked him he was puffed up like a fat kid at the all-you-can-eat joint! I ran him into a head-catch and tubed him. He was mostly froth which is always fun, but after a couple trys and blowin' on the tube to clear the froth, I found the spot!!!! Hold your nose boys that ain't perfume!!! But he has quit laboring in his breathing and if he'll hold course for another hour, I think we'll be alright. He has an appointment at the cut & wrap house in two weeks, but he may get to go quicker! Anyway, it's nights like these that make me wonder why i decided to do this when i grew up. :wink: Ya gotta love bovines! And i wouldnt trade my life with anybody even though whining sometimes makes ya feel better!!! :D

I would advise giving him some probiotic as once they bloat, they
probably will again. Bloating as an indication of a rumen upset.
If you give the probiotic, it will help put the microbes back in the rumen.
One fall,t here was a lot of bloating in the area. As mineral dealers we got several calls and we had one steer bloat. Our Vigortone vet advised the probiotic and
EVERYONE who administered it saved their cattle. The others bloated more than once and wound up dying.

I don't think the probiotic has any residual, but you should check on that, just in case.

Hope it helps! And good luck!!

I think I would just slaughter him a bit sooner.We had one bull bloat the first day on feed last winter 30 days later he was 5#s lighter than he was prior to bloating after that he gained over 4#s per day but he did live and that was good but there was no weight gain.Alot of butchers would'nt slide you up two weeks,mine would but our old one never would.I guess that's why I don't use him anymore.

You can always light a match at the end of that hose and you'll have yourself a flame thrower.

In all seriousness, I'd see how fast I could get that ol' kid down the butcher. No sense in taking the chance of that kind of loss.

HP

If you put a soft rope or twine in his mouth and tie it off, " like a bridle".
He`ll chew his bloat down and also create enzymes and correct the rumen action again.

Latest posts