• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bloodhound

Help Support Ranchers.net:

C-E

Reaction score
Just taking a shot in the dark here but we are looking for a bloodhound pup. Just thought I would see if anyone on here happened to know a breeder. The closer to Kansas the better.

Hello C-E,

I got my bloodhound, Archimedes, from skyranchbloodhounds.com. They were very nice people and are located at Seward, Nebraska which would be fairly close to the Kansas border.

I love my dog to death but I must warn you that bloodhounds are one of the hardest to train animals in the world. Archimedes, contrary to his name, makes up for a severe deficiency in intellectual capacity with his very loveable personality. I always dreamed of owning a bloodhound in my youth so I decided to make that a reality as soon as I was done with college. He is a great companion but if I were given the choice to do it over again, I would have chosen another breed... Bloodhounds are very high-maintenance and I have a lot more money tied in to this dog then I care to divulge.

Anyway, I do not want to rain on your parade. I just wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing I let you get a bloodhound on the pretense that they are the perfect dog.

Kosmo said:
Hello C-E,

I got my bloodhound, Archimedes, from skyranchbloodhounds.com. They were very nice people and are located at Seward, Nebraska which would be fairly close to the Kansas border.

I love my dog to death but I must warn you that bloodhounds are one of the hardest to train animals in the world. Archimedes, contrary to his name, makes up for a severe deficiency in intellectual capacity with his very loveable personality. I always dreamed of owning a bloodhound in my youth so I decided to make that a reality as soon as I was done with college. He is a great companion but if I were given the choice to do it over again, I would have chosen another breed... Bloodhounds are very high-maintenance and I have a lot more money tied in to this dog then I care to divulge.

Anyway, I do not want to rain on your parade. I just wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing I let you get a bloodhound on the pretense that they are the perfect dog.

Well said. :wink:

Kosmo, thank you for your reply. I am under no allusions of bloodhounds being the perfect dog. I have spent the last year studying up on the breed. I have also been in touch with the local police chief, who used to be a dog trainer with the USAF, about doing mantrailing. However as long as the dog can learn not to relieve himself on the carpet I will be satisfied.

I just found the skyranch website yesterday and sent them an email and am waiting for their reply. I also found Haught Hounds out of Alliance, NE and really like their dogs. They have a litter coming this month.

Anyway thanks again for your reply and your words of warning. If you have any other tips, warnings, or war stories about your bloodhound experience I would love to hear more.

Soapweed said:
Kosmo said:
Hello C-E,

Well said. :wink:

WOW, very tactfully said......... :lol: And to the segundo to the right hand too.......(that means second to Peach) :)

Latest posts