• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Blowout pictures

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Nebraska Sandhills

Reaction score
I was shutting off windmills the other day after the last of the summer pasture cattle were taken out and thought this was a good example of how sand "moves". You can see the wall of sand behind the windmill that is being moved out of the hill behind it. We purchased this pasture in 2001, and the windmill shown is the only well in this section+ pasture. Too much traffic basically turned this area into a large blowout. We finally installed underground pipeline last year to provide more water and will probably leave this windmill off the next few years in hopes that over time this spot will start to heal.

HPIM0686.JPG

HPIM0688.JPG

HPIM0689.JPG

You can see beyond the windmill area the hills are pretty well grassed over, but that where the ground gets the most pressure there is a lot of bare dirt.

HPIM0691.JPG

HPIM0694.JPG

HPIM0699.JPG

I am sure this is not new to many of you, but thought for those of you who haven't had a chance to visit the Sandhills this would give you an example of how fragile the Sandhills really are.

I'm sure some of that is our topsoil and sand that left in our 100+ mph winds the other day... :wink: :lol:

You did a great job in showing a bad blowout. It does take quite a few years to get it back in good shape. For the last several years we have been planting oats at the windmills after the cattle are gone..it helps keep the sand from blowing to much in the winter. Good pictures thanks

You captured the movement of the sand great. Here we try and put old hay or rush hay over areas that are really blowing to try and stop or at least slow down the erosion.

You are wise to have taken these pictures. I have been reluctant to take pictures of erosion on this place. Now 20 years later, I do not have any "before" pictures. In my mind I cans see the difference That management has made, but I have no way to show others.

Jassy said:
You did a great job in showing a bad blowout. It does take quite a few years to get it back in good shape. For the last several years we have been planting oats at the windmills after the cattle are gone..it helps keep the sand from blowing to much in the winter. Good pictures thanks

That is a good idea Jassy. That is definitely something we should consider trying next year. Thanks :)

CattleArmy said:
You captured the movement of the sand great. Here we try and put old hay or rush hay over areas that are really blowing to try and stop or at least slow down the erosion.

We have tried this and it does seem to be a good use for that old hay. Last year the neighbors were paying $50/ton for rush bales to grind--it sure makes it tough to throw them out on the sand when there is such a shortage of roughage, but it definitely helps with the erosion control. I don't like to see the hills "bleed" all winter.

Shortgrass said:
You are wise to have taken these pictures. I have been reluctant to take pictures of erosion on this place. Now 20 years later, I do not have any "before" pictures. In my mind I cans see the difference That management has made, but I have no way to show others.

You are exactly right--I just wish I took more pictures of land, equipment, cattle, and most importantly, family.

Latest posts