• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Book Report

Help Support Ranchers.net:

fedup2

Reaction score
I found an older book that I thought was pretty interesting. It is called 'JORDAN'.

From the back cover:

There is no fiction within these pages. When Arthur Jordan wrote out the story of his life, accuracy was uppermost in his mind. Yet many chapters of his book read like wild-west stories. In remote central Montana and northeastern Wyoming colorful pioneers blazed the old west as its history faded into a new land, first of cattlemen then of homesteading settlers. Here gunmen congregated, brought in by ranchers to root out both wolves and rustlers. Vigilantes, like the Stranglers, shot and hanged the outlaws, and innocents as well.
Arthur J. Jordan was born in England in 1873. At age 14 he was a stowaway bound for America, and soon afterward a bullwhacker out of Deadwood, working into the Powder River country and north to Montana. This is his story.

(About 40 years ago, I worked on a road construction crew out of Jordan Montana. I don't know what its like today, but there was other places I'd rather have been at that time!)

Also for you Montanans (also anyone else) I read an interesting story where the setting takes place in Montana.
Called 'Blind your ponies'. Mostly fiction but still interesting and light reading. It had more twists and turns than an Egyptian belly dancer! :D

Lets hear about what everyone else has been reading.

I have a friend who is reading "Blind Your Ponies" and I am anxiously awaiting my turn for this book....so far, she can hardly put it down!! Thanks for the info on the other book...the hubby is a history "buff" and this sounds like something he would simply love!! :D

I should have given a little more information.

JORDAN by Arthur J Jordan from the Mountain press Publishing Company.
ISBN 0-87842-162-9

My wife recently got a copy of "Dr. Atkins Super Energy Diet" from the library. It looks pretty good. A lot of scientific data in there that supports eating a lot of beef!! :) I'm working on getting it read.
Also for anyone who is interested in the Viet Nam war and what those soldiers went through, I would recommend a book called "Chickenhawks" by Robert Mason(I think).
He was a Huey pilot during the early part of the war. It is not a new book, by any means. I read it quite a few years ago.

I have restarted "Flags of our Fathers" by James Bradley
It is about the flagraising on Iwo Jima and what happened to the 6 boys who were captured in the famous photograph.
I saw restarted because I started the end of last summer but it needs your attention and with school just starting back I couldnt give my full attention.
WARNING if you do read this book the first 20 pages will have you crying.

I recommend "1491" to everyone. It's about North and South America before Columbus showed his face.

Interesting highlights;

1-Corn was genetically engineered by the natives here. There is no "wild" corn, it was developed it from a grass plant with little similar characteristics. There was no cotton in the "Old World" either. Or tobacco, to name a few.

2-North and South America was highly populated. Estimated over 10 million inhabited Mexico alone at the time.

3-Columbus and the Europeans conquered the New World without firing a shot. Disease killed millions and millions because of no immunities. Trading amongst the tribes ensured their doom.

4-Fire was used extensively as a way to clear for farming. Almost the entire states of Georgia, Alabama, North Florida, Mississippi, and Louisana were burned each spring.

5-The natives here had no "Wheel". That showed how isolated the two hemispheres were, but strange that there were "Pyramids" on both sides of the world that were very similar.

MsSage said:
I have restarted "Flags of our Fathers" by James Bradley
It is about the flagraising on Iwo Jima and what happened to the 6 boys who were captured in the famous photograph.
I saw restarted because I started the end of last summer but it needs your attention and with school just starting back I couldnt give my full attention.
WARNING if you do read this book the first 20 pages will have you crying.

I don't know if this is in he J.Cash movie but one of his songs,and one of my favorites,was about Ira Hayes,one of the 6 who raised the Flag.A realy sad story.

Latest posts