• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Books

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Nicky

Reaction score
Let start threads on books we like. I will also start one on tv shows and movies. Should be fun and a good way to find new books and shows.

Anything and everything that Ivan Doig wrote, although I didn't really like Winter Brothers.
Blind your Ponies and several others of Stanley Gordon West.
I'm currently reading the Into the Wilderness series by Sara Donati. Super good!

I could go on and on...

I will have to do some thinking as I don't read much anymore, but when I was in the mountains, I read "The Nez Perce and the Opening of the Northwest." It is a large book, but a necessary read for anyone that loves history in Eastern Oregon, Eastern Washington, Idaho, and Montana.

Also "The Last of the Mountain Men" is about Sylvan Hart alias Buckskin Bill that lived remotely along the Salmon River is an interesting read. I corresponded with him for a couple of years but never made it over to his place.

I have read all of James Harriot's books.

Forgot Tony Hillerman. Wrote a series about Navajo cops. Really a fun bunch of books. He died and his daughter Anne has continued and she does pretty well.
A great non fiction book written about a NM rancher who chased bears and trained all his dogs is called Meet Mr. grizzly by Montague Stevens. Awesome book

Richmond P. Hobson, Grass beyond the mountain and the other books he wrote. "Journal of a trapper" Osborne Russel. Oh, we built a library when we built the house, need to build in bookcases yet, as we just got some in that are too small and orange boxes still full of books. Been reading Karen Cleveland lately. Got Clive Cussler, Robert Ludman, Tom Clancy, got all of Steinbeck's books still think Cathy Ames is still the evilest villain in literature, and many others, so yes, a small library, and I go back and reread books too.
[h2][/h2]

Last edited:
I believe I have read everything Ivan Doig ever wrote. Stephen Ambrose, Undaunted Courage about Lewis and Clark and several of his WWII books. Most recently read Unsettled Ground by Cassandra Tate about the Whitman massacre giving both sides of the story. Hemingway, Steinbeck, Mitchner, London. Charles Goodnight by Haley is a good read. The heart of Everything that Is by Bob Drury is the story of Red Cloud's life. Books about NW cattle barons Peter French and Ben Snipes were both good. Claiming Ground by Laura Bell, that one is good enough that I read it three times.

Last edited:
I like history books. Currently enjoying reading about Lord Nelson. Nelson's Trafalgar: The Battle that changed the world by Roy Adkins.

I do some work as a lawyer so get caught with my head in law books sometimes. The Secret Barrister books are a really good read.

Terrier man Colin Didriksen wrote a collection of Country Mischief books that I enjoyed. Light hearted tales of his terrier work.

Nelson's Trafalgar, the British navy practiced with live ammo, they could fire cannon 3 to one over most other Navys. But to sail in facing broad side ships with only forward-facing cannons then to turn broad side and take on a large number of ships and win. Quiet a story even today.

Great idea, Nicky!

Our daughter was married to a Doig, extended family of Ivan Doig. He wrote some really fun stuff about his growing up. He was injured badly in a horse accident (shoeing one and was struck in the temple) and we lost him. I have some of his short stories, misspelling and all 🙂. I tried to get them published but no one was interested. Seems the western magazines like the glamor, not the truth from a real cowboy. His writings were incredibly funny.

I love Forest Carter's books, but he didn't write many.
He was story-teller in Chief to the Cherokee Nation.
*The Education of Little Tree
*Gone to Texas
*The Vengeance Trail of Josey Wales
*Watch for me on the mountain.
They are fiction based on fact. We own them all.

Will James books, I like them to this day.

Elmer Kelton-The Time It Never Rained. Everyone should read this book. I wish it was required reading in schools, both for the teachers and the students.

George W. Bush-A Charge to Keep. (I wish I felt about George W. Bush now, like I did when I bought the book. But it is a good book.

Spike Van Cleve--true stories
*4o Years Gatherings
* A Day late and a Dollar Short

Buck Branaman The Faraway Horses--true story. While I loved this book, he wrote one
called Believe. I didn't care for it as much.

So many books, so little time.

I don't read much outside of the KJV Bible. This week past was the book of Ruth. I have an old copy of judge Borks book I'm kind of interested in reading this winter titled slouching toward Gomorrah but haven't started.

Last edited:
Last week the bookmobile brought me:
The latest Ann Hillerman- great as usual. Her dads books are ones I reread alot. No one describes a thunderstorm/sunsets like he does!
Unbroken - Awesome book, thanks 'H!
Claiming Ground - ok
The Education of Little Tree - next to be read.

Thanks all for the ideas, keep them coming :)

Last edited:
I just went to the library and got some books to read since we might be snowbound for a day or so.
Tony Hillerman, The Shape Shifter. We watched the mini series "The Dark Wind",
that was a movie made from one of his books. We enjoyed it.

I also picked up O'Rielly's "Killing Kennedy" and "Before We were yours", by Laura Wingate.
I have not read them and if I do, I'll report back.

I wanted "This tender land" by Kent Kruger, but it was a branch library and it was checked out.

Nikki, is Tony Hillerman Ann Hillerman's father?

I just went to the library and got some books to read since we might be snowbound for a day or so.
Tony Hillerman, The Shape Shifter. We watched the mini series "The Dark Wind",
that was a movie made from one of his books. We enjoyed it.

I also picked up O'Rielly's "Killing Kennedy" and "Before We were yours", by Laura Wingate.
I have not read them and if I do, I'll report back.

I wanted "This tender land" by Kent Kruger, but it was a branch library and it was checked out.

Nikki, is Tony Hillerman Ann Hillerman's father?
Yes, he wrote 20 or so before he died. She took over the series after he passed. You should start from the beginning. I was hoping The Dark Wind was more than a mini series, we just learned about it.

The Which Way Tree, by Elizabeth Crook.........should have been made into a movie....
All Ben K Green books were great.......
That horse vet in Texas Bo Brock wrote Crowded in the middle of nowhere.....excellent read.......
I'll have to try that.
Loved the Ben Green books, and I follow Bo Brock on FB, bought the book for a friend.

Latest posts