• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bootheel Bulls

Help Support Ranchers.net:

AngusinTexas said:
I've never seen anyone be so secretive about breeding. Especially when they are as nice a set a bulls as you have here.

There is nothing secretive about it. What information would you derive to know that bull 3 is out my my 23 cow who's mother was 8150? Or the other from 1197 who's mother was my 31 cow?......Or do the sires have a more profound influence?

Or saying they are Traveler bred, or Rito, without knowing the individuals selected from the results?

Or if it was a horse, does a grandson of Doc Bar really tell you much, if you don't know the mares?

Some of us enjoy putting what a bull looks like together with his pedigree in order to formulate our opinion. And we can't do that when we don't know so we ask. :? I guess i am confused like some of the others as to why post pictures of good looking bulls and not tell their story? :???: But to each his/her own. :D

I think this is entertaining. The more you don't tell the more you get the curiosity peaked. What a fun game! :cowboy:

You guys need to go to Keeney's Corner it's another site. Spend some time there and your questions will be answered or maybe not.Bootheel is a regular there.

Bootheel said:
AngusinTexas said:
I've never seen anyone be so secretive about breeding. Especially when they are as nice a set a bulls as you have here.

There is nothing secretive about it. What information would you derive to know that bull 3 is out my my 23 cow who's mother was 8150? Or the other from 1197 who's mother was my 31 cow?......Or do the sires have a more profound influence?

Or saying they are Traveler bred, or Rito, without knowing the individuals selected from the results?

Or if it was a horse, does a grandson of Doc Bar really tell you much, if you don't know the mares?

Truer words......concerning the mares.

You show me any critter that really catches your eye, and chances are he had a decent enough daddy, but had a hellacious rippin' mama.

Looks like Bootheel has got the right combination all figgered out.

loomixguy said:
Bootheel said:
AngusinTexas said:

Truer words......concerning the mares.

You show me any critter that really catches your eye, and chances are he had a decent enough daddy, but had a hellacious rippin' mama.

Looks like Bootheel has got the right combination all figgered out.

I apprecciate the kind words, but I have figured out very little, mostly of what hasn't worked well for me.

My point on the sires, was the owner's selections of the progeny to go forward with. Prominent breeders have taken 6807 sons that made 1700 lb cows, to the other end of the Spectrum of the low input gurus, where they make 1000 lb cows. Over time this is why for me, pedigree, without intimate knowledge of all the animals in it, does little for interests.

I enjoy the pictures here, and thought I would share some of mine. I did not want to start a battle of giant mainstream milk cow angus, or those puddy duddies don't work here.

The bulls vary from lower growth bulls to higher growth bulls. I try to utilize the the more maternally suited bulls at the beginning of the calving season, and move on up the growth curve towards the end.

In my mind it gives my replacement heifers the advantage of age, and their steer mates as well, to match up with the growthier genetics of the calves at the tail end of the season, of which no heifers will be retained.

I guess they are ''purebred'' bulls, whatever your definition may be, but over time I plan on using bulls of a different breed as my terminal cross. As of now this is what I have, so I use it.

Thanks,

Bootheel

Sorry to stir the pot. Wasn't meaning to be rude..... I am very impressed by the bulls.

I am always interested in seeing quality animals and having a little background into their pedigrees is nice information. If there is no pedigree, doesn't mean I am any less impressed by the animals.

Like you say what good does knowing the sire do if you don't know the dam.... If they were registered you could post the number for reference.

Nobody probably cares what I think, but I have to say that I like your philosophy Bootheel. Too often we can get caught up in a sire or a genetic line and label it as something, generally because we don't like it or we think we know something bad about it. In the end, there are pieces and parts of different genetic types that can be useful to a lot of us, even if the "typical" animal of that genetic line is not what we're after. Therefore, sometimes is nice just to sit back and appreciate a good individual and not worry about the "typical" of that genetic package.

Thanks for the info! :D I sure enough agree that a cow is a big part of the equation. I try to raise good cows and feel the steers will be fine. Nice bulls.

High Plains said:
Nobody probably cares what I think, but I have to say that I like your philosophy Bootheel. Too often we can get caught up in a sire or a genetic line and label it as something, generally because we don't like it or we think we know something bad about it. In the end, there are pieces and parts of different genetic types that can be useful to a lot of us, even if the "typical" animal of that genetic line is not what we're after. Therefore, sometimes is nice just to sit back and appreciate a good individual and not worry about the "typical" of that genetic package.

See there High Plains, I'll never forget you had a Mackenzie, and liked her, before you knew they were the devil. But for the record I never had any, nor my Dad, but plenty of other just as devilish stuff, many of which are still praised for their angelic qualities.

No need for anyone to apologize to me for anything written yet, they are just cows. If'n they was dogs or kids, I'd fight you, but not over a silly cow.

Bootheel

Bootheel you coy rascal.

I see the udders in that bull.

Bootheels statement "I have figured out very little, mostly of what hasn't worked well for me.", I appreciate very much because that is the majority of what I have figured out also.

Bud Williams told me on numerous occasions " you have to be wrong before you can be right"

This discussion reminds me of the quote,

"Good horses like good men have have good mothers"

Thanks for the pics Bootheel.

Boot, there you go stirring the pot. Nice bulls. The first question that came to my mind was; Was the bull that you turned out with 60 cows for 30 days the only bull with the cow? If so how many cows out of 60 did he stick in 30 days? I wouldn't care if he looked like a corriente if you told me he bred 50 or more cows. But I would start asking you lots of questions.

flyingS said:
Boot, there you go stirring the pot. Nice bulls. The first question that came to my mind was; Was the bull that you turned out with 60 cows for 30 days the only bull with the cow? If so how many cows out of 60 did he stick in 30 days? I wouldn't care if he looked like a corriente if you told me he bred 50 or more cows. But I would start asking you lots of questions.

Thank you Mr. FlyingS, I always what the ''S'' stood for.

I started off with three groups of cows, and one group of heifers. The bull you asked about, was in single sire groups. He was the first one in with 60 cows, for 30 days. Then he finshed the season with the heifers who had had a younger bull in for 30 days.

As the season went on I pulled bulls, and combined herds, the last 30 days being one group cows, but the heifers remained a seperate unit. Two bulls used were not pictured, one being sold, and the other didn't get his picture made.

Total breeding season is 90, depending on whether I get around to it, but that is the target to get the bulls out. Fall calving cows, bulls just got pulled the second week of March.

Good luck on whatever horse tradin' you got goin'

Dylan, about time you poked your head out of the sand, How's the hip?

Bootheel

Latest posts