• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Border Collie - Sheltie MIx

Help Support Ranchers.net:

billburnham

Reaction score
I'm thinking about breeding my female Border Collie with my male Sheltie. Has anyone had any expereince with this mix. I would love to hear about what kind of dog this makes. PIcture of one would be great!

Years ago I used to raise Shelties. Must have been in the early 70's because we had a terrible spring blizzard in 1973. My dog was in heat and we turned her outside while we went to dig out. We had snow drifts so high the kids could climb up and touch the telephone lines; we had 98 mph winds. Well, I'm getting off the subject.

Anyway, we were across the creek when I looked over by the house and my sheltie and the neighbor's border collie were having a great time. Nothing I could do about it, so she had the pups and they turned out to be great dogs. Especially great sheep dogs. I didn't have any trouble getting rid of them, of course I couldn't sell them at that time, but they sure turned out well. One in particular really had a fine reputation. The guy that owned her spent alot of time training her. I remember that he was under a catapiller working on it and something fell out of it and the dog grabbed his coat sleeve and tried to pull him out from under the cat. She was really worried something had happened to him.

But I don't think I have any pictures. They were all sable colored, and shorter than a border collie. But good dogs, all.

Hi - Sorry to be so late to this board, but I wanted to tell you about our dog Casey (female), a border collie/sheltie mix. We got her as a puppy six years ago. Nice size - about 45 pounds - big enough to hike with us for hours, small enough to be cute. She is the most obedient, intelligent, loving dog we (and most others) have ever seen. She has been our dear companion - wonderful with kids, adults and other dogs. We could not have asked for a better dog. She wants nothing more than to please us in every way. She also loves to play and is a great Frisbee catcher! Today we just found out Casey has lymphoma cancer. We are looking at treatment options but know that we probably won't have our girl around for as long as we hoped. If you ever do decide to breed your dogs, could you please let me know? Casey looks like a miniature collie and gets called "Lassie" often (same coloring as Lassie).

This was a "once in a lifetime" dog that I will miss to the very end of my days. He was beautiful, sensitive, clever, intelligent, and very, very funny! He had a sense of humor, too, and I never remember having any dog before with such a great personality and he was very, very expressive emotionally. He was so eager to please and had a very tender conscience. He had all the wits of a border collie and all the sweetness of a sheltie. He could not bear it if someone was mad at him and was a bit neurotic and spooky in a very cute way. He was a flyball champion and my best friend. He was a lot like a soul mate and never left my side, very obedient. As a puppy he was nightmarish, more like a border collie, sassy, naughty, with a fondness for theft (which he maintained his whole life). As he grew older he became so biddable that friends called him a "mama's boy." Affectionate to the extreme and he wanted to be a lap dog at 55 pounds. He had unusual quirks like a border collie and always kept me laughing. He loved to go places but never ran away. His body looked just like a black and white border collie, while his face was tri-colored with tan cheeks and eyebrows. His fur was lovely and long. He had black almond- shaped eyes full of hell fire and mischievous lights! He had such a great spirit. God, I miss him! There never was a better dog. I wish this mix of dog was more available.

I have a dog that either has to be a border collie colored sheltie or a border collie sheltie mix. I have pictures of her but I don't know how to post them with this text. I have had her for a couple months and am trying to find a new home for her so I haven't spent a tremendous amount of time with her, but she has picked up on a few things very quickly. Other things, not so much. She is very cute and wants to be with people but is also pretty timid which makes it hard for me to correct her. She gets so worried about what I'm doing when she is in trouble that I'm sure she has no idea what I'm trying to correct even if I catch her doing something she isn't suppose to be doing, like getting on the bed. I know I've never abused her and I don't think her previous owner did either. So as far as training her I would have to spend more time than I have to teach her the things that my b.c. has already picked up. Anyhow I will try to post some pictures of her in the photo gallery, :lol: I know how to do that. [/img]

Tibbs, did you read telephone lines not power lines? :?
I only have one kid and maybe touching that phone line did
affect her, now that you mention it. :wink:

I have pictures of her and the neighbor kids on top of the drift touching the phone lines.

My family lived in Miles City, Mt. for a short while when I was very young.
We lived in a trailer court and a trailer moved out. It had rained and
all the kids lined up (for whatever reason, I do not know) and put
their finger in the plug in socket where the trailer had been hooked to
electricity. Everything went well, because those kids had on tennis shoes.
But not me. :shock: When it was my turn, I lit up like a light bulb.
Luckily, some little 6 year old girl threw herself at me and knocked m
away from the electricity. If she had grabbed ahold of me, they say
we would have both been toast. I've thought of her often, and I wish
I know who she was, so I could thank her. But it will be a mystery that
is never solved, most likely.

So, yes, I know about kids and electricity. :shock:

Ahhhh ok telephone lines....hmmm where I came from the telephone lines were burried! Besides my folks usually had us so scared of electricity that if there was any wire besides barbed wire strung anywhere you didn't touch it because it was most certainly going to lead to electrical death! I can remember as a kid always wanting to toss a throw rope over the power lines just to see the fire works, but never did ever get enough courage to actually do it...prolly for the best :roll: :wink: :twisted:

Steffie was 1/4 Sheltie and 3/4 Border Collie and she was a hell of a dog. Worked differently than Nikki ,but was still great and was the sweetest ,gentlest dog as well . Except to the cows :wink:
We still miss her everyday . :(

Btw the cross makes a very pretty tri color dog .

I'm not saying you let the Sheltie chase the cattle all the time.

I'm saying you have to have the Sheltie WANT to chase cattle or else it won't be much of a cattledog.

lightninboy said:

I'm saying you have to have the Sheltie WANT to chase cattle or else it won't be much of a cattledog.

When it(chasing) works it is called herding LOL :lol: :p

hillsdown said:
lightninboy said:

.....and that depends on whether the handler is a chaser or actually a herder..... :wink:

gcreekrch said:
hillsdown said:
lightninboy said:

.....and that depends on whether the handler is a chaser or actually a herder..... :wink:

I am getting too old to chase .I like to herd ;better yet I stay at the gate and Nikki herds . :lol:

I know this is an old post but felt I needed to post my views. My husband and I adopted two Border Collie/Sheltie mix pups 16 yrs ago. Littermates, a male and female. As Paula Marie stated, they were "once in a lifetime" dogs that we will miss until our dying day. They were our children. They were the most beautiful, loving, intelligent, fun-loving dogs. This was our first time raising pups on our own. We had both had pets when we were kids but our parents trained them. We could not have asked for more easily trainable dogs. They were both so eager to please. Our dogs also had such great personalities, our Missy was the comedian and her brother, Buddy, her straight-man. The two of them brought us more happiness than we could have ever imagined. They were both black and white like the Border Collie but on the smaller side (40-45#) like the Sheltie. I could not tell you if their temperaments favored more on the Border Collie or the Sheltie side because my family has owned purebreds of both and they were both loving sweet-natured breeds. They were very healthy dogs most of their lives. We lost Buddy to bone cancer in 2009 at the age of 14. We lost Missy a year later at the age of 15, to arthritis and old age. Until his cancer caused him to break his leg, Buddy was still very active for a 14 yr old dog. Missy developed arthritis in her back at the age of 13 but on she still loved to play and didn't slow down until her brother passed. I, too, wish this breed/mix of dog were more available as my husband and I are ready to bring two more pups into our home. If you know of anyone with this breed who is willing to sell to a non-ranch home I would love to hear from them. I can't upload pictures to this post but will be more than happy to send pictures via email or snail mail. We have hundreds of pics of our pups from puppyhood to adult.

Latest posts