• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

BORDER FIGHT CONTINUES

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Should R CALF continue the fight to keep the Canadian border closed

• YES THEY SHOULD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO THEY SHOULD NOT

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
LETTER TO THE EDITOR

Dear R-CALF USA Board Members,

I want to congratulate you all on your recent decision to continue forward with the Canadian border lawsuit. It was the absolute right decision.

I've been a cattleman all my life and I've served the industry in many different capacities, both at the state and national levels. I've learned that success comes in many different forms, and sometimes it's in a less-than-obvious form. No matter what the federal judge in Billings decides to do with the case, it's a win for producers.

If the judge agrees to hear the case, so be it. R-CALF has the support to see the case through to the finish line. Cattlemen want, and deserve, our day in court.

If the judge refuses to hear the case, we will have an important tool at our disposal to seek changes in enabling legislation that grants far too much deference to federal agencies when writing rules that inflict unjustifiable harm on an industry. It is crucial that we take the next step and force the court to make this decision. If dismissal occurs, it is likely the obvious stopping point on the lawsuit, but it will be far from the end of the issue at hand.

I know that each of you is most concerned with spending producers' hard-earned dollars in the most efficient and productive way possible. With the losses we've suffered in the courts recently, it takes a great deal of courage and conviction to take yet another risk. But, the cattle industry is all about risk every day.

Thank you for once again making the right decision and for providing a voice for U.S. cattlemen.

With letters like the one above circulating constantly its obvious some of these cattle men are in it for the long haul.
I can't help but wonder though,if R CALF's time and resources would be more effective by promoting and supporting the M COOL & Captive supply reform act more agressively.......good luck

Or........

Comments
Enough is enough

Let's see, the Canadian border has been open since mid-July; at that time, feeder cattle prices were $113. Now, feeder cattle prices are up $4 to $117. Fed prices were $80 and today they are $88. Some how this just wasn't supposed to happen. But, here we are, with a strong cattle market and R-CALF United Stock Growers Association (R-CALF) continuing their quest to close the Canadian border.
Last week, the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals turned R-CALF down on their en banc appeal in which all the justices on the appeals court took a look at the merits of the case and unanimously
denied their appeal. I suppose you have to give
R-CALF credit for finishing what they started.
If any one of the 47 active judges on the court would have requested it, a vote of all the active judges would have decided if a rehearing in front of a larger panel of judges would have been required.
If the 9th Circuit Court's decision wasn't definitive enough that the suit was a waste of time, I suppose I don't understand the game. R-CALF's leadership conceded after the initial decision to overturn a temporary restraining order that they indeed received a spanking. Now I wonder what they're thinking after the entire court said they won't rehear the case.
Still, R-CALF insists that it has a case against the USDA for opening the border prematurely. In their press release responding to the court's decision, they said they will deliver the case back to Montana federal Judge Richard Cebull.
Leo McDonald, R-CALF's president, who is nearing the end of his term in that office, said in the press release, "Obviously we are disappointed in the 9th Circuit's decision. However, this is merely a decision regarding a preliminary injunction that maintained the ban on Canadian imports, while our challenge to the final rule is pending and that challenge is still before the district court in Montana.
We remain confident that USDA's Final Rule is premature. We will now ask the district court to schedule a hearing in our case, at which time the court will have a full opportunity to consider all of the facts that demonstrate why USDA's actions concerning Canadian imports are ill-conceived.
"Hopefully, we will prevail in our efforts to protect the U.S. cattle industry and U.S. consumers from the unnecessary and avoidable disease risks associated with Canadian cattle."
Just about everything is wrong in the suit over the Canadian border.
Let's start with the obvious one, the market. The market has improved since the border opened; no wave of cattle ever occurred. The U.S. market found its annual summer low of $80 just before the border opened and has never looked back. It's a strong market even with the Canadian cattle under 30 months of age coming into the U.S.
Now the safety aspect, bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) isn't contagious to the U.S. cattle herd and the only way U.S. cattle can get it is if they consume meat and bone meal (MBM), which has been banned from any bovine feed products for quite some time. Yeah, you might remotely be able to find an association between MBM and poultry feed, and the feeding of poultry litter to cattle. However, I haven't seen any research indicating cattle are at risk because of poultry litter.
As for the human health aspect, only 150 people—that's it, world-wide—have died from variant Crutzfeldt Jacob Disease (vCJD), the disease associated with BSE. That's not what I'd call an epidemic. This little fact in its own right makes BSE a non-issue. But, with the current safeguards, on both sides of the border, it is extremely unlikely that we'll be able to tie any vCJD to modern beef production practices. Everything that we know how to do to prevent BSE is being done.
R-CALF has been on this Canadian trade issue since their inception. As a matter of fact, that's why R-CALF was started, because they thought Canada was dumping beef in the U.S. Just as Mexico thought the U.S. was doing shortly after the North American Free Trade Agreement was completed.
The redundancy of this issue with Canada is getting old. We've seen none of their possible doomsday scenarios unfold and cattle prices are higher.
The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals is doing
R-CALF a favor by telling them that the case is dead and to save their money because they're pouring it down a rat hole. I just can't see federal Judge Cebull taking on R-CALF's case for a permanent injunction on Canadian cattle. I don't think this will go to the Supreme Court, so let's call this game over. — PETE CROW

Can R-calf not figure out they're just wasting money on these appeals and whatnot? The money they're burning could be better spent elsewhere. Wake up people! Our cattle aren't affecting your prices. Enjoy the high prices you're getting and stop your damn whining!

Shelly said:
Can R-calf not figure out they're just wasting money on these appeals and whatnot? The money they're burning could be better spent elsewhere. Wake up people! Our cattle aren't affecting your prices. Enjoy the high prices you're getting and stop your damn whining!
There have been "snake oil" salesmen for centuries and Leo and Co. are from the same mold.

R-Calf is an ACTION LEGAL FUND with the sole purpose of going to court for whatever cause the parasites at the top can sell. It is their reason for being not unlike Jim Baker, Jimmy Swaggart and others who prey upon those who feel they need something to believe in. Fear and misinformation are the tools they use to keep the collection plate circulating while a considerable portion is skimmed off the top for the leaders and the lawyers.

And Pete Crow even had the courage to sign his name to his letter!

Not to mention the fact that he accurately highlighted the two biggest flaws in the R-CALF mantra: Contrary to what R-CALF claims, the market is just fine with Canadian cattle coming in, and BSE most definitely is NOT a communicable disease that might infect the US cattle herd.

Thank you, Mr. Crow!

MRJ

Bill said:
Shelly said:
There have been "snake oil" salesmen for centuries and Leo and Co. are from the same mold.

R-Calf is an ACTION LEGAL FUND with the sole purpose of going to court for whatever cause the parasites at the top can sell. It is their reason for being not unlike Jim Baker, Jimmy Swaggart and others who prey upon those who feel they need something to believe in. Fear and misinformation are the tools they use to keep the collection plate circulating while a considerable portion is skimmed off the top for the leaders and the lawyers.

The so called people at the top are not parasites,any more than the canadian ranchers are,they are just on differnt sides of the fence,that dont make them parasites.R calf's fight is not with the canadian rancher its with your partner,you partner with these packers,refuse to promote any type of packer laws,createing this captive supply that manipulates markets,then cuss R CALF for trying to create fairness..............good luck

HAY MAKER said:
Bill said:
Shelly said:

The so called people at the top are not parasites,any more than the canadian ranchers are,they are just on differnt sides of the fence,that dont make them parasites.R calf's fight is not with the canadian rancher its with your partner,you partner with these packers,refuse to promote any type of packer laws,createing this captive supply that manipulates markets,then cuss R CALF for trying to create fairness..............good luck
Was it Leo or Bill that wrote your post above Haymaker?
No matter what the federal judge in Billings decides to do with the case, it's a win for producers.
A more accurate statement is that no matter what Cebull decides it is a win for Leo and Bill. Job security :lol: :lol: :lol:

Does anybody remember that Kelo lost?

What would have happened if she hadn't taken her case to the very end. A lot of good has come out of that loss.

If Judge Cebull declines to hear the full case he will say why in writing. That statement will be very valuable. It's worth it.

HAY MAKER said:
Bill said:
Shelly said:

You know Haymaker I'm so sick of hearing how R-CALFs fight is not with the Canadian Producers. If R-CALF's fight is with the packers can you explain to me what these R-CALF statements have to do with the Packers in the US?
Canada is taking no effective steps to use sound established scientific testing procedures to prevent BSE-infected cattle from entering its human food system by detecting BSE before the visible symptoms develop. We believe Canada should follow much more rigorous testing program to determine the prevalence of BSE in its cattle herd to protect its consumers and to prevent the spread of the disease.
Gee maybe we should have used the same test the US did.
OR this
"we know Canada is still processing downer animals, the United States does not process downers"
three out of three found in Canada were not found dead at a SLAUGHTER HOUSE. Two out of two in the US were found where? One recalled from the food chain and the other dead on a truck at a slaughter house.
or this
We test annually over 150,000 more cattle than Canada tests."
ANNUALLY HAYMAKER when this statement was made the US only came close to 150,000 one year, that's not annually when you have been testing for twelve years. And what does our testing have to do with a US packer fight Haymaker?
or this
Canada has a chronic problem with their Meat and Bone Meal (MBM) feed ban and that it is ineffective.
or this ,
"Canada's feed ban is not adequately enforced. News reports originating in Canada indicated that as much as 70% of cattle feed samples tested contained unauthorized animal parts, suggesting that Canada has not adequately enforced its feed bans".
Gee some of those feed samples were imported from the US but still what does this have to do with the US packers?
or this
that importing UTM (under thirty month) cattle and meat from OTM (over thirty month) cattle would put the U.S. feed system in danger
Now this makes no sense and it couldn't even happen
or this
if the U.S. imports the UTM cattle from Canada to be processed in the U.S. plants, the U.S. consumers would be put in danger
. Now Haymaker just how much danger is there in UTM cattle and if the SRM removal rule is complied to what are the actual risk to consumers from meat from Canadian UTM cattle? Besides isn't there more danger from a OTM cow from the US now that the US has BSE IN THEIR NATIVE HERD?
or this
Under no circumstances should the United States accept any cattle, beef or beef products, from countries that do not maintain identical or more stringent safeguard measures that is presently required or presently proposed in the United States which measures have been enforced for at least as long as the United States.
Gee maybe R-CALF should have read our safeguards and when they were implimented before making this comment. But again what does this have to do with the US packer fight.
and this one
"we know if we are going to keep consumer confidence we are going to maintain some of the highest standards in the world to make sure that BSE is not introduced into this country. And we are going to make sure we have the best meat and bone meal ban in this country in place. So if for some reason we did find a case we can stand and look our consumers right in the eye and say, don't worry we have had these firewalls in place for years, the only country prior to having a case of BSE to have these firewalls in place for so many years. And we did it to make sure if a case was ever found it was a non-issue. If we look them right in the eye and say that I will guarantee they will keep eating beef".
Again it's an issue in Canada and we are the one the US is now trying to mimic when it comes to safeguards. So I don't think the US was the only country there Haymaker!!!!!
So if R-CALFs fight is with the US packing industry why all the lies about Canadian feed , testing, and the safety of Canadian meat and cattle Haymaker?

I just voted "YES", Haymaker. Every dollar that R-calf-ers spend on their "legal fund" is One LESS dollar they will have to spend on making their own operations more cost efficient and competitive. Perfect!

"R-Calf.....'Working' the American Cattleman".

Ka-Chinggg!!!!$$$$$ :p :p :wink:

TimH said:
I just voted "YES", Haymaker. Every dollar that R-calf-ers spend on their "legal fund" is One LESS dollar they will have to spend on making their own operations more cost efficient and competitive. Perfect!

"R-Calf.....'Working' the American Cattleman".

Ka-Chinggg!!!!$$$$$ :p :p :wink:

Damn me and you just cant get in time,I voted "NO" for the same reason :wink: .............good luck tiny

Haymaker- "Damn me and you just cant get in time,I voted "NO" for the same reason .............good luck tiny"

Huuuuuhhhh???? Are you saying that you have finally realized that throwing good money at R-Calf's useless lawsuits is counter-productive??? That it is only lining the pockets of the leadership???? That those dollars would be better spent countering USA Beef's true competition(poultry,pork and PETA)???? Or spending those dollars on cost cutting and efficiency measures???
Say it isn't so, Haymaker!!!!

Lood Guck!... (and that's MR. TINY to you, Haymensa) :D :wink:

Latest posts