I guess it depends on how many calves end up being added. I know we don't have any extras at our place. We have always sold our calves in February and March if we don't finish them, and that's what we are going to do this year. The expectation is that they are going to Ontario, not south.
I don't know anyone around here who is waiting for the border so they can sell their calves, because for one thing, it's been dangled in front of us and taken away so many times that no one trusts that it will open. The general attitude has developed that it'll be nice to have it open, but no one is making any business decisions based on it happening. If it does, bonus. If it doesn't, we can deal with that too.
Another indication that the 'flood' isn't going to happen is the fact that from what I heard the other day, the big packers in Alberta are working four day weeks now.
Shipping fats south may not be the joy ride some would think either. I read some preliminary rules the other day that had a worrisome line about the fact that Canadian cattle that failed the 'mouth' test would be tanked and the seller would get nothing but potentially a bill for disposal. Boy, talk about being at the mercy of the packer! No way to confirm anything. Just their word. Scary thought.