• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bottle fed calves

Help Support Ranchers.net:

USgal-In-Manitoba

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm still bottle feeding calves and I'm wondering how I can knock them of there bad habbits. After feeding them there bottles they suck on eachothers ears and unmentionables. Is there something I can do to prevent them from doing this that won't be harmful if ingested? All suggestions are welcome!!

Thanks

US Gal

The only way I have ever had success is to pen them seperatly - - - most dairy farms have calf hutches just for that very reason.

USgal-In-Manitoba said:
Hi Everyone,

I'm still bottle feeding calves and I'm wondering how I can knock them of there bad habbits. After feeding them there bottles they suck on eachothers ears and unmentionables. Is there something I can do to prevent them from doing this that won't be harmful if ingested? All suggestions are welcome!!

Thanks

US Gal

That is a problem that is pretty common with bottle calves. According to everything I have been able to find out, what you are experiencing with your calves results from having a set routine as far as feeding goes, as opposed to being with their mother and being able to nurse any time they want. It's a comfort thing, kind of like a child sucking his/her thumb.

You might try putting their nose in cold water after they've had their milk. The cold shock seems to dull the sucking instinct somewhat. But if they are used to sucking each other, it will be tough to stop them without separating them.

Thanks everyone for your input! I think this is something they will eventually grow out of once they are weaned. It's probably just a normal thing with them it just bothers me cause there ears dont look so nice after they have been sucked so agressively.

Thanks again! Hope everyone enjoyed the 4th!

Us gal~

I get the idea that you feel it is just an irritant to you - - - this can cause infections leading to health problems or possibly even death - - - I would seperate then at once.

Latest posts