• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bought a bull

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
We went over to Heber City last evening and attended a bull sale. Had a fine evening and I even convinced my sweet wife it counted as date night since we got supper and entertainment. Ended up buying a Simm/Angus bull from an outfit over on Eastern Utah in Altamont. I really like him. No pictures as we sent him back to be fed til April 1st. I'll post pics then. Today we went to Nephi Utah to another bull and horse sale. My cousin was there and picked up two good Simm/Angus bulls himself. His luck was also good as he won the registered heifer that was drawn for from all the bull buyers.

Sounds good 'H. Congratulations!!!

I've been helping some of our customers/friends that are looking for straight angus bulls. Whew! There are a lot of bulls out there!!!! I've been noticing quite a few of the Registered Angus breeders have put Rito 707 of Ideal back in their bull lineup. I've always liked that bull; he's old now...we used his sire PaPa Rito 707 ourselves and got some dandy females. The problem is, their EPD's don't stack up with today's pedigrees. Anyway, long story short, this friend went to a sale where there were 4 flush brothers out of Rito 707 of Ideal. He was actually jubilant and called on the way home. He said, "I bought a ripping good set of bulls today." He got 2 of the flush brothers and then 2 that were farther related to 707 of Ideal. He's wanting to keep some superior heifer calves and that is what these bulls are for. He said they really are good looking bulls. I was so excited that a bull from the 70's can hold up to todays cattle and improve a cowherd. Anyway, I just had to share.

There are a lot of bulls out there!!!!
Just looking at the DLMS site here in Canada and there are tons of bull sales. I don't know how someone starting out attracts someone to their sale. My FB feed is full of paid bull sale ads. Lots of good breeders but I can only flip through so many catalogs.
The old bulls in the Herefords epds don't look good either. Maybe the old guys were more honest.

I used Simm Angus bulls for a lot of years. They worked real well for me. The cows weaned big calves which sold at the top of the market.

I used Simm Angus bulls for a lot of years. They worked real well for me. The cows weaned big calves which sold at the top of the market.
A friend of ours does that. He uses Sim/Angus cross bulls for a few years and then goes back to straight Angus. He likes to keep a bit of Simmental in his cowherd. He has a great set of cows and is a really good stockman.

Oh so many bull sales , a few I look at the inside cover to catch upon the news as I have seen families grow just from the catalog.
I bought some cows in Brooks so now getting ones from there as well as all the rest.
Some are still selling high.. LaBatte Simmental had a $10,000 average with a high seller of $67,000 My son hauled a load to the sale and a load home Half a million on his liner.

I had thought about going to that Hereford sale yesterday just to watch. Mostly to watch the horses sell there. But we lost a neighbor lady last week and the funeral was yesterday. Durkee was missing from that bull sale as we were all at the funeral.

How did the sale go? was it horned or polled?
Really high, yrlgs averaged $8,200 something, 2 yr olds in the $7,000's. Black bulls (even they are dabbling in the dark side) around $8,000. Horses averaged $14,000. It was Harrell's, used to be straight horned now have quite a few polled too.

I had thought about going to that Hereford sale yesterday just to watch. Mostly to watch the horses sell there. But we lost a neighbor lady last week and the funeral was yesterday. Durkee was missing from that bull sale as we were all at the funeral.
Who passed away?

How'd it go, Nicky?
There are some really good Hereford breeders near here. Come and stay with us and go to their sale.
We went and looked, dashed home to watch it online. Mike is much weaker in person, lol Do you mean Ward's? Great cattle, we went there a couple summers ago. I wish we could come, if all these animals weren't depending on us!

Really high, yrlgs averaged $8,200 something, 2 yr olds in the $7,000's. Black bulls (even they are dabbling in the dark side) around $8,000. Horses averaged $14,000. It was Harrell's, used to be straight horned now have quite a few polled too.
I lied, the 2 yr olds were $5 something

We went and looked, dashed home to watch it online. Mike is much weaker in person, lol Do you mean Ward's? Great cattle, we went there a couple summers ago. I wish we could come, if all these animals weren't depending on us!
Yes, Ward's. They now have added to their operation and bought a ranch at Decker, I think last year. Interesting that our plumber's family owned that ranch, and he has talked a lot about it. If you ever want to take a jaunt to check out their cattle, the latchstring is always out. I have heard nothing but good things about their cattle. In fact, I think it was you who first mentioned them, probably on this forum.

Yes, Ward's. They now have added to their operation and bought a ranch at Decker, I think last year. Interesting that our plumber's family owned that ranch, and he has talked a lot about it. If you ever want to take a jaunt to check out their cattle, the latchstring is always out. I have heard nothing but good things about their cattle. In fact, I think it was you who first mentioned them, probably on this forum.
everything I see of wards the cattle look good.

Latest posts